Thread: Take a kid hunting

Default Take a kid hunting

Well it actually isnt taking a kid but he is my nefew and a kid im my eyes. I have been takeing him with me for the last 10 years sence his dad who was my hunting partner for over 20 years passed away. He comes up from Anchorage every year but just has 2 or 3 days to hunt every time. This year we planned to get out of town for the 3 days and see what happens. I have a freind with a cabin about 20 miles from Manley who invited us to stay there. Durring the 150 mile drive i kept telling him, we are hunting on a river, dont shoot a moose in the water. Wait till they get to the bank and drop them, he assured me he was ok with that and wouldnt get excited about seeing a bull moose and shoot too quickly. On our arrival it was 75 degrees and beautiful out, so around 2 in the afternoon we decided to go fishing for pike until it cooled down. After only going 3 miles we round a corner and a paddle bull is standing in the river. My rifle is in the gun rack behind me and his is in the gun case besides beside him. Needless to say the moose is just getting bigger for next year. We decide to come back the next morning and sit for the day. After staying the night at the cabin, we get up and take the boat to the beach where we had seen the paddle bull the day before. I set him up in a chair behind a tree that had a great view of the river and beyond. I drifted 2 corners down to watch another strech of river and set the anchor. After getting comfortable and getting my book out, I hear a shot. Waited for about 5 mins for a follow up shot i ran up river to see what was going on. I found my nefew on the beach jumping up and down and figured he shot the paddle bull. I asked him where the moose was and he said " In the river". I said WHAT? He explained that he just had to have this moose and didnt want it to get away.Well the moose was in the river and the wait for him to get one was over. Who could get mad at that? After using a rope winch to get it closer to shore we cut him up and loaded him into the boat. The next thing we know is that we cant get on step. TOO MUCH WEIGHT IN THE BOAT was what we discovered. This moose weighed at least 1400 pounds bone in, with the head. This is the largest body moose i have ever seen. We got 60lbs of burger meat out of the neck alone. The moral of this story is no matter how old they are its still fun to take kids hunting. By the way he is 28. And the moose was 53 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

another pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

By the way this kid is 6' 4"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL that paitence virtue is learned around that water

Good JOB!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up Nice!

Congrats, and great story and pic's!!

Thumbs up

Thats a great story and happy to hear you two were successful on your hunt! I do think we are all kids at heart.

Great story - thanks for sharing. I take my nephew out hunting as well, though he is only 8. Like you, he's not my kid, but since his father isn't a hunter I figure it's upon my shoulders to get him out there. He's a great hunting partner, and I look forward to the time when he and I can sit over his first moose...even if he is 28 by then.

We are all kids at heart.

That is a fine animal that any man/woman/child would be proud of.
    I am sorry for your loss of a hunting partner.

I prefer to dump moose in a river myself. The cleanest meat I have ever had. The meat also cools very quickly in the water. Of course I have a wench with me to get a moose to a desired water depth for optimal cutting.

Once the meat is hanging; it dries quickly and a nice crust is formed with-in 24 hours.

I have yet to shoot a moose in a river. I have heard mixed experiences about it. But I too would have shot that bull where it was, that's a nice bull. And even though it landed in the water looks like you guys managed just fine. Some times you pass on a good shot on a animal and end up with no shot at all. Congrats on a nice moose. And also sorry that you lost a hunting partner and glad to see you have gained another.

Default Shooting Moose in the water

This happened to me a few years back. A friend came up from N.H. to hunt Moose with me. I told him two things. Don't shoot one in the water and they have big ears so be quiet.
    We flew into an hourglass looking lake. After about 8 days of seeing cows and calves I told him we needed to get up on the hill in the dark. Our plan was to glass till about 10AM then go back to the tent and fix breakfast.
    As cold as it was that morning we got figety about twenty of ten. I turned to head back to camp and there was a bull on the edge of the lake. We knew another party was at the opposite end of the lake so I made haste going down the hill.When I reached the bottom I turned to see my buddy half sneaking but still half way down. I hollered "hurry up" to which he held up one finger to his lips. Never mind sneaking, get down here quick.
    Well , the Moose decides the water lillies on the "other" side look good so he swims over. I tell my friend who is now aside me wait till he clears the water then shoot. Well, after some 5 minutes and this Bull is still munching with just his beely sticking out of the water I say shoot him. He said your breaking every rule you told me about. I say this is the first Bull we see and time is running out if you want a Moose SHOOT.
    After fetching our hipboots, ax, rope camera etc. I lassoed the antlers and drug him ashore as far as I could. We took off one side then winched him over and got all the meat off this 54" without any loss. Great hunt with a great friend.