Thread: 09 Rhino wet Clutch

Default 09 Rhino wet Clutch

Just wondering if anybody has had wet clutch problems I have gone through two in 400 hundred miles. I get in a mud hole and put the throttle to the floor and can not spin tires and doing this twice it smokes the clutch. I have 26's on it. I don't hold it to the floor for very long as I know nothing is moving except clutch and belt I dont smoke a belt but the wet clutch. I have a few buddies that have 660s and they run 28s and have not had any clutch problems. Any thoughts other then bad design?

Question

I guess I don't fully understand the problem based on your description--are you saying that mud puddle is deep enough to cause the belt to get wet, or that you can't develop enough torque to move the tires in the mud?

If the bet is getting wet, check out the clutch cover seals (repair or reseal as necessary), CVT intake and exhaust heights (snorkel them or stay out of such deep puddles).

Which engine are you running--the 450 or 700? Are you running these mud holes in high or low gear? Are you up-hard against something (such as a large protruding root or rock) when you try to get going again in the mud? Have you looked into an aftermarket clutch kit?

Sorry I know what I was thinking just didnt get it out.It is the 700. No the clutch is not getting wet or belt.It does have an after market kit on it. It does not have the torque needed to spin wheels once I am in the muck not up againt anything but mud and grass.No one else I know that has a Rhino has had any problem like this so trying to figure out if I expect to much from a belt drive machine or if it has some type of defect.I am taking it to the dealer today to get worked on again. The machine only has 400 miles on it and this is the second clutch.

Wheelin in high range will certainly kill parts. What specifically if happening to the clutch?

Aftermarket kit? Clutch kit?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I know if you use motor oil with the wrong rating it will burn up the wet clutch.

Is this the same machine you run with tracks?

TWB - I use only low range when I am off roading.The first time the clutch burned up it acyually turned blue I guess it got so hot but that is because I had to make it work even after I knew it was smoked. It was all stock the first time.
    The second time had a clutch kit the dealer suggusted.

AKlivendie- has had nothing but factory oils through out

SuperX-the first time I had tracks on the second was with wheels. The second clutch never saw the tracks.

i know the normal things that could cause this what I am looking for is if there is a issue with the 09 clutches or if someone else ran into this on any other machine and found a machine defect as if oil flow valve or port was plugged something out of the normal.
    I had a buddy that had a Rubicon and went through 2 pumps before they found a defect in a $5.00 check valve.
    Thanks for all the in put

Talking No issues with mine

I have a 09 rhino 700 and have never had any issues. ive been hung up several times but the tires have yet to stop turning. it throws nice roostertails. Hillbilly

I have an 07 Rhino660 and run with several 04 - 09 Rhinos (660s & 700s). While I have gotten my rhino stuck on one occasion so bad that I could not turn the tires in low gear, I have never smoked the belt or the clutch. No one else I know has ever had a clutch problem of any kind.

What clutch did you have installed? There are tons of choices out there. They make clutches for 0' - 2000', with or without over-sized tires, 2000' - 6000', with or without over-sized tires. Additionally, there are several other things you can do to improve your clutch with regards to roller weights or the new sliding weights and machined sheaves.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

AKMUDDY- 0-2000 clutch if you are talking RPM range It was the clutch the dealer recommended for my type of riding. I have faith in the dealership far as their recommendation.It is at the shop and they thought they would have an answer as to the damage by friday. I just think there has to be some defect because no one else has this problem and I do not believe I am any harder on it then some other guys I know I am not as easy as most but I know there are guys doing the samething as me and not going through a clutch let lone two.Thanks to everyone for the input just trying to work the bug out of this sucker other wise it is going to be an expensive snow plow rig.