Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More FT Rich success

Default More FT Rich success

I’ve been known to have some crazy hunting stories but I think this one takes the cake. Moose hunting starting out really slow for me this year. I shipped my raft and equipment to Dillingham for a fly out float hunt. We flew out 130 miles to the middle of nowhere. Two friends and I hunted hard for 30 river miles over a 12 day span and only saw 2 moose the entire trip. We never had the chance to even pull the trigger (another story). Luckily, I had a FT Rich tag for the backup plan.

I’d been hunting hard every day after work and on the weekends but all I had been seeing were cows. Thursday night I watched youtube videos and practiced calling because I knew I needed to tweak how I cow called. I watched the video were some guy got run over and I thought “that will never happen to me”. Friday evening (2 OCT) after work I went to the trailhead I had planned on hunting but someone was already there. I talked to him, wished him luck and pulled out the map to find a different area. I noticed a natural funnel further up the valley so I took off to a different trail (first time on this particular trail).

I found a good calling spot where I could see almost 90 yards in one direction. Every 20 to 30 minutes I would do several long cow calls and some really light scraping/thrashing with my bull magnet. I stood there for over an hour and then I all I saw was antlers coming straight at me. I seen the bull about 80 yards away coming my way fast like he was on a string right at me. I waited for him to close the distance but I didn’t want to shoot him straight on so I just stood there waiting for him to turn. There was a small drop about 4 yards in front of me when he went down that I pulled my Matthew’s SQ2 bow back. When he came up over the dip he was right in my face. I thought he was going to run right over me but he turned at the last minute. I tried to stay as calm as possible and I put the 20 yard right behind his shoulder (like I really need to aim). I wasn’t sure there was going to be enough room for my arrow to clear the whisker biscuit arrow rest before it hit him. At the shot the bull ran about 35 yards and just stood there like nothing happened. I kind of lost it at this point but I knew as long he was standing I needed to shoot him again. I guess I was shaking too bad because at the shot I heard the twang from my arrow hitting a branch. The bull walked out of sight and I was so amped up I had to sit down. I made a few phone calls and my buddy said to find a good blood trail and he would come help me. I started looking for blood but I couldn’t find a single drop. I went about ten yards, I sat the bow down, dropped to my knees looking for blood, nothing. Suddenly, I heard a twig snap and the moose was walking right at me. By the time I picked up my bow the moose had laid down. I could barely see his head and neck through the grass. I pulled the bow back, put the 20 yard pin on his neck and at the release I heard a loud thump. The bull stood up with the arrow sticking out of his neck. He took two steps and fell over disappearing in the tall grass. I knew which way he was facing so I circled around behind him. The grass was so tall I walked right up on him before I could see him. He saw me and tried to stand up so I put another arrow right behind his shoulder. The bull jumped up and charged me. I tried to block my face with my bow. The bull knocked me down and kicked me hard in the ribs. I started crawling away for everything I was worth. I looked back and the bull was just standing there staring and snorting at me. I finally found my bow and an arrow but as I went to knock the arrow and noticed it was broke in half. I looked back again at the moose and it just toppled over, done.

I was afraid I had broken my ribs but I just ended up with a horrible bruise, a few scratches on my face and a broken quiver. It was getting dark as my friends Jimmy and Dennis showed up along with my beautiful wife Lori. We decided it was cool enough to just gut it, open it up and come back in the morning to start packing it out. I made a lot of phone calls and had plenty of help lined up for the morning. I didn’t sleep a bit all night, I was afraid a bear or wolves were up there eating my moose. My friends and I met the FT Rich biologist at 0800 Saturday morning. We fought our way through the alders to find him still there, untouched with no bears (thank god). Upon closer examination we discovered that the first arrow had centered the heart and the vanes were still there. We found an easier trail to pack him out and had him in my garage my noon.

Special thanks for everyone who helped with the packing and butchering. By Sunday night we had over 300 lbs of burger, steaks, roasts, stew meat, rib meat etc. plus over 100 lbs at Indian Valley for moose bacon, brats, jalapeńo hot dogs, teriyaki sticks and summer sausage. Not a bad story for a first moose!! I wish had some better pictures but the rain fogged up our cameras.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on your bull!! That's quite a story to go along with it too. I bet you got him out in 1 trip too huh?

Congratulations!

Congrats on your trophy and all that tasty meat. Oh and thank you for the detailed story, I was right there getting kicked!
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Thumbs up

Congrats on your bull! That is what I call one heck of a good hunting story!!!

Thumbs up

They sure can take it. And they sure can dish it out as well. That's one heck of a story!

Congrat's!

Taylor

You pansy, if a moose kicks you, fight back. I can't believe you tried to crawl away! Man up already!!!

Awesome story, I'm sure it'll be something you'll remember for a long time to come. Have you thought about how you'll feel next time you are getting within bow range of a bull?

Congrats!

Default Good story!

Sounds like something that would happen to me.

Default Awesome story!

I'm still trying to fill that tag. I hope to do so, but not with that kind of excitment. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on the moose thats one you wont forget

Default Good story & thanks...

but I hope you learned your lesson, not to shoot moose in the neck with a bow...at the breifing, they showed us a video of a guy who shot a moose in the neck & it lived for HOURS flailing away & the MP's didn't dispatch it...

You're lucky to be alive...

wasnt it the second shot that was in the neck? first shot was strait in the heart?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Thanks for congrats

The first shot was right behind the front shoulder (the arrow went through the heart and then broke off), the second shot was in the neck (apprantly didn't penetrate enough for any major damage)and the last shot was also behind the front shoulder (double lung complete pass through). I know the neck is not the best place to shoot a moose but I had already shot it once and it's head and neck was all I could see for the 2nd shot.

I should have just gave it some time instead of going in so quick for the final shot.

My dad is trying to talk me into sending the story in to Oudoor life. What do you think?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have had to come up behind them for follow ups too... I like to be SPINE side of them and run one down between the shoulders rather then behind one... I have had two cows jump up like that , though I have not been run over ( yet i guess) i am sure it is because i was behind them ... but it sure is satisfying to find that heart pinned to the brisket when you open it up... they don't go far or stay up long when i have done that.

though each time i attribute it to.. to many years with a gun and impatience making me do a follow up that was not needed... I just HATE to see them cry.

good job on a first one... many more to go... and i hear Play it again has Hockey gear on sale for next year
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Awesome story! I will wear a cup for my December tag hunt just in case.

Default excellent story

that tag is no easy gimmie hunt, and your story is awesome!!!

If you would have shooting him with a Bowtech, it would have only taken one arrow. HA!!!! just kidding.

Awesome story bro, thanks for sharing. Enjoy those Jalepeno dogs, they are freaking delicious.

Talking funny

That is some funny stuff right there. You are lucky that bullwinkle didn't fall over on top of you dead...that would have ruined both your days! Can you imagine reporting to the Elmendorf ER saying 'a moose fell on top of me and broke my ribs, my jimmy and my pride!'
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Great story!

It is all good and congrats on your moose.

Stay healthy and if you see an animal lay down after being shot...mark the spot, and give it some time. No need to get kicked while trying to rush things.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast