Thread: The rut and calling

Default The rut and calling

I am headed out for my cow tag finally. Question is, assuming that the Rut is still going on, is it worth calling for bulls hoping that one would come in dragging a cow or two along with him?

I have called in cows acting a s non aggressive bull, and will try this as well, just wondering what tactics you all would employ to increase your chances of getting a cow.

Default To be clear the target is a cow

I am not after a bull, the target is a cow moose. My thought is that if I were to do bull calls, that perhaps a bull would come in with some cows in tow.

I remember a few yrs ago I was bull/bow hunting and there were 3 cows that kept this nice paddlehorn surrounded at all times. Wherever he went they werent but a few steps behind.

Thoughts?

Default The BEST post of the day!!

Whoa....

I just have a new angle to ponder on this long facination with hunting .........using a rutting Bull Moose call to locate them and their cows....

We can shoot Cows here too, I just very seldom hunt Moose, but them Cows have to be fairly fat if they lost their calves early in the summer and diddnt have to milk.
    I just might do it after freezeup......

I almost feel dumb, but whatthehell, m always up to learnig something and Im even happyer now I have figured out the best use for a Rutting Bull Moose is!!!

Thank You Fairbanksbowhunter!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I was out over the weekend and killed a cow on Sunday. Heard several bulls calling. I'd give it a try.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I hought about it alot and then talked it over with a couple guys who had called ncows.... seems they even called in 2 cows before a bull showed up, though they were hunting the bull, and it was a couple weeks back.
    I had just never consitter'd it, simple as it is..... but I like the idea....just not much of a Moose hunter, but more meat cant hurt .
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I have been calling bulls several times and had cows show up first. They seem to be more curious and less cautious than the bulls.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

The first moose I ever called in was a cow in my yard, while I was practicing. She came in on a dead run, snorting and blowing, wanting to know what hootchie was in her turf trying to take her man away.

The cow call was in pre-rut and a long 30 second wavering tone. I have found the short cow calls bring the bulls in faster and more often.

Good luck, and please post your results.