Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so much pollock in K-Bay?

Default Why so much pollock in K-Bay?

Went through 3 trays of bait yesterday in just a couple of hours, we ended up with 1 king in the boat. I can't ever remember this much pollock, she we be concerned with what these guys are doing to bait and crab in the bay?

a friend of mine grew up here and he remembers when there were no pollack and you could see the lights of the foreign trawlers out in the inlet... then the 200 mile limit came to be, and not long after that the pollack started to show up...
    heck, i just use them for crab bait... 10 minutes at the mouth of the harbor = a bucketful.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Great Halibut bait as well!! Its tough and hard for the butt to get it off the hook like they do sometimes with herring. I caught and released 5 on one piece of pollock. could have caught another one but number 5 was my last fish for my limit.

I've heard its a Pacific Decadal Oscilation thing, the pollock started showing up when the shrimp started disappearing, something about water temps or chemistry or something... Not totally sure
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default bait

It sure does make using bait difficult, better get my secret lures out and polished up! I't doesn't look like the weather will be cooperation the next few days.

Thumbs up

For years, the Asians have been grinding them up, pressing them into molds and making them look like crab, shrimp and fish sticks. Sounds as though there might be a good business opportunity for the right person.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

It's hardly only the Asians...over 3 million tons of pollock are caught annually in the North Pacific...if you're eating fish sticks, a fish sandwich from McD's, Arby's, etc, it's made with pollock. And it's the primary ingredient in surimi - imitation crab meat. You might get in on that market...working on a huge catcher-processor....
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Question

Has anyone tried to eat them, straight from the salt, without the grinding a pressing process being done to them? Are they fit for table fare?
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

we trolled a few hours today and got 2 kings, (#5 & #14) a teensy halibut, two 20" lings and one pollack. pulled one pot for 59 crab with 17 keepers, highgraded the best 10 crabs and put 7 back.
    sent the pollack back down...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    sent the pollack back down...
    Whelp,
    Guess that answer's my question.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Has anyone tried to eat them, straight from the salt, without the grinding a pressing process being done to them? Are they fit for table fare?
    Much like other white fish, they take on the flavor of what you cook them with. Not terrible, but not as good as pacific cod.

Cool

sounds like a good day Dave, I almost went out but I was doing daddy day care and didn't think I could manage everything today. only one pollack? thats surprising. I caught at least 15 on Sunday in 3 different spots Peterson, glacier, and Mallard.

The pollack you catch from the beach in Homer near the Lands End are full of worms. I wonder if the pollack caught at other places are also wormy. If there are then those things are also getting ground up and put into fish stix & patties. Buon Appetito.

Quote Originally Posted by monello View Post
    The pollack you catch from the beach in Homer near the Lands End are full of worms. I wonder if the pollack caught at other places are also wormy. If there are then those things are also getting ground up and put into fish stix & patties. Buon Appetito.
    WORM STICKS! Yum-YUM!!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Pollack here to say

I guess we better be prepared to sort thru these bait robbers all winter, there is nothing says they will leave if the bait fish are here. Wasnt to bad today after we got away from them. Picked up more kings then we did pollack. Im curious if they are at Seldovia. Any report or the Bluffs or Seldovia

Default still plenty

Definitely had to sort through them today but it was good!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default nice fish!

we got two today, but they were pretty small... the "big" one was about #6 .
    found lots of pollack the length of glacier spit, finally got the kings off peterson pt.
    got tired of rigging herring and got both our fish on the secret wobbler...

Default bluff report

Spent a few hours at the bluffs today and found a few 10-12 pounders, pollac are out there as well but not as thick. Really have to keep a eye on the rods or your wastin time. ANyone been to seldovia? Seems the amount of kings is good just to many fish after the bait that are not shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    found lots of pollack the length of glacier spit...
    I'm not sure how big glacier spit is, but those are some HUGE pollock!

Smile No Pollack

Havn't got any pollack on the Seldovia side, a few lings and rock fish robbin bait tho. Went out for a few hours today and picked up a couple kings, a #10 and #30, not a bad day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast