Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Why so much pollock in K-Bay?

  1. #1
    Member danmiotke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    214

    Default Why so much pollock in K-Bay?

    Went through 3 trays of bait yesterday in just a couple of hours, we ended up with 1 king in the boat. I can't ever remember this much pollock, she we be concerned with what these guys are doing to bait and crab in the bay?

  2. #2
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    a friend of mine grew up here and he remembers when there were no pollack and you could see the lights of the foreign trawlers out in the inlet... then the 200 mile limit came to be, and not long after that the pollack started to show up...
    heck, i just use them for crab bait... 10 minutes at the mouth of the harbor = a bucketful.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    Great Halibut bait as well!! Its tough and hard for the butt to get it off the hook like they do sometimes with herring. I caught and released 5 on one piece of pollock. could have caught another one but number 5 was my last fish for my limit.

  4. #4
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    I've heard its a Pacific Decadal Oscilation thing, the pollock started showing up when the shrimp started disappearing, something about water temps or chemistry or something... Not totally sure
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  5. #5
    Member danmiotke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    214

    Default bait

    It sure does make using bait difficult, better get my secret lures out and polished up! I't doesn't look like the weather will be cooperation the next few days.

  6. #6

    Thumbs up

    For years, the Asians have been grinding them up, pressing them into molds and making them look like crab, shrimp and fish sticks. Sounds as though there might be a good business opportunity for the right person.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7

    Default

    It's hardly only the Asians...over 3 million tons of pollock are caught annually in the North Pacific...if you're eating fish sticks, a fish sandwich from McD's, Arby's, etc, it's made with pollock. And it's the primary ingredient in surimi - imitation crab meat. You might get in on that market...working on a huge catcher-processor....
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

  8. #8

    Question

    Has anyone tried to eat them, straight from the salt, without the grinding a pressing process being done to them? Are they fit for table fare?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    we trolled a few hours today and got 2 kings, (#5 & #14) a teensy halibut, two 20" lings and one pollack. pulled one pot for 59 crab with 17 keepers, highgraded the best 10 crabs and put 7 back.
    sent the pollack back down...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  10. #10

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    sent the pollack back down...
    Whelp,
    Guess that answer's my question.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Has anyone tried to eat them, straight from the salt, without the grinding a pressing process being done to them? Are they fit for table fare?
    Much like other white fish, they take on the flavor of what you cook them with. Not terrible, but not as good as pacific cod.

  12. #12
    Member danmiotke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    214

    Cool

    sounds like a good day Dave, I almost went out but I was doing daddy day care and didn't think I could manage everything today. only one pollack? thats surprising. I caught at least 15 on Sunday in 3 different spots Peterson, glacier, and Mallard.

  13. #13
    Member monello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Solomons, MD
    Posts
    86

    Default

    The pollack you catch from the beach in Homer near the Lands End are full of worms. I wonder if the pollack caught at other places are also wormy. If there are then those things are also getting ground up and put into fish stix & patties. Buon Appetito.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monello View Post
    The pollack you catch from the beach in Homer near the Lands End are full of worms. I wonder if the pollack caught at other places are also wormy. If there are then those things are also getting ground up and put into fish stix & patties. Buon Appetito.
    WORM STICKS! Yum-YUM!!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

  15. #15
    Member bigmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    53

    Default Pollack here to say

    I guess we better be prepared to sort thru these bait robbers all winter, there is nothing says they will leave if the bait fish are here. Wasnt to bad today after we got away from them. Picked up more kings then we did pollack. Im curious if they are at Seldovia. Any report or the Bluffs or Seldovia

  16. #16
    Member danmiotke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    214

    Default still plenty

    Definitely had to sort through them today but it was good!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default nice fish!

    we got two today, but they were pretty small... the "big" one was about #6 .
    found lots of pollack the length of glacier spit, finally got the kings off peterson pt.
    got tired of rigging herring and got both our fish on the secret wobbler...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  18. #18
    Member bigmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    53

    Default bluff report

    Spent a few hours at the bluffs today and found a few 10-12 pounders, pollac are out there as well but not as thick. Really have to keep a eye on the rods or your wastin time. ANyone been to seldovia? Seems the amount of kings is good just to many fish after the bait that are not shiny.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    found lots of pollack the length of glacier spit...
    I'm not sure how big glacier spit is, but those are some HUGE pollock!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

  20. #20

    Smile No Pollack

    Havn't got any pollack on the Seldovia side, a few lings and rock fish robbin bait tho. Went out for a few hours today and picked up a couple kings, a #10 and #30, not a bad day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •