Thread: We need to be at this

Default We need to be at this

Wednesday 6:30 pm at the Central Mat-su Public Safety Building 101 W. Swanson Ave. in Wasilla.

Alaskans for the Palmer Hay Flats Game Refuge will be having there general meeting (open to the public). If you hunt the hay flats or anywhere for that matter you need to be at this if at all possible. I know several hunters that will be attending this meeting, so the more hunters the better. Please wear your camo. I've heard talk that this is a hunter friendly group, but many of us are skeptical. As there has been many people trying to get the hay flats closed in the past. Don't believe me, go to the meeting and talk to the guys that have been hunting it for the past 20 to 30 years or longer. It may be pushing 15 for me but I remember there being some talk about it a ways back, maybe 10 years or so. The Hay Flats was set up as a place to hunt. Don't let anyone, turn it into another potters marsh.
    I'll tell you up front that I can't be at this, as I have to work and with no one to fill in for me. However my hunting partner will be, as well as several hunters that have been hunting out there longer then me, and that I respect greatly. So please be at this. If we can get half of the people that was hunting out there on saturday we should have a good showing.
    Bob.

Based on some of the "personallities" I have encountered in the group there are a few non hunters that are overly protective of the resource. However they know that any state money spent out there is from taxes on hunting and fishing gear.

When Reflection Lake at the Knik was a Road-side Rambo range filled with trash they wanted to stop all shooting of all kinds, but ADF&G said no. They had the BLM's ear at the time since they owned that little hunk of property and BLM was considering a pan on that acreage.

Since it is a state refuge with a state management plan in place they can't do much. If they try it will have to go through a public process and just like BARCO found out up the Knik last year there are more of "Us" than there are of "Them".

I am interested in finding out what this meeting is all about.

I am also interested in finding out what this meeting is about? I have heard absolutely nothing except this post! If I know it's worth while I may be able to drag several folks with me

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Since it is a state refuge with a state management plan in place they can't do much. If they try it will have to go through a public process and just like BARCO found out up the Knik last year there are more of "Us" than there are of "Them".

I am interested in finding out what this meeting is all about.
    True, but if no one on our side stands up what would the out come be. I was talking with a Hay flats veteran (20+ years) today that informed me there was a time that motor use on rabbit slough allmost got shut off. Pubilic process or not the time is now to stand as one. Whether or not this group is pro hunting we still need a hunting voice and one that will be heard and the larger we are, the more we will be heard. I just wish I could attend. How many of their group that are nonhunters have ventured farther then 2 miles from the parking lot. How many of them have spent more then 5 days a year that far out. How many of them live on the bluff and just don't like the noise.

Can I get directions to this meeting? I will definetly be there.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Can I get directions to this meeting? I will definetly be there.
    Take the parks hiway into wasilla Turn right on Lucille St (Should be the stoplight after Main ST) Two streets up take a left on Swanson Ave. I'm not real sure where the public safty building is but it's at 101 W Swanson It should be right there close. I believe it's the big building on the right side. Seems like it's on the corner of Sawnson and Lucille.

I've been watching for some discussion of the meeting and the results. Since nobody has started, I'll make a couple comments. I enjoyed the slide show and the history particularly but that is not why I went. The people in the hayflats group seem well intentioned, but I don't believe for a minute it will work out the way they say. I am very sure that in a few years there will be no hunting allowed in the reflection lake area and within a specific distance from it, the same with the parking area at cottonwood creek. I would like to see the game dept post signs in those areas that state "PUBLIC HUNTING AREA" and the same at rabbit creek. The thing in the paper yesterday fits right in with this, with a guy shooting a legal bear along the highway, and being cited by a old law the troopers didn't even know about. I would have passed on that bear with tourists watching, but I don't thing he should have been cited because he dicided to take the shot. Same thing is liable to happen at reflection lake when a hunter is shooting ducks around a tree hugger or even a school field trip of 5th graders that could also be there. Bud

Default Thanks for your input

As I mentioned, I was unable to attent. and have yet to hear from people I know that did. We will have to keep a close eye on this group. There has been some talk among a few that I know on starting a group for those of us that hunt the flats. This may be a course that we could take to help pervent any changes that we don't see fit and a way to police our selves. It's thought anyway.

It sure won't help our cause with "hunters" shooting well past legal shooting hours as they were on Saturday. I hope the State Trooper watching and listening at the bridge busted them. The shooting was a good 15 minutes after legal shooting hours.