Thread: Gutpile?

Question Gutpile?

Me and a friend just wrapped up a northern lynn canal moose hunt. After getting to the site we rowed over to the treestand and after sitting there for 20 min at about 12 noon A 42 incher just walked up behind us and we dropped him. We hadnt even unloaded the camp out of the skiff yet. We just canoed over to the treestand right away to take a look. Had him hung by dark. My quiestion is I was using the same treestand about 50 yards from the gutpile for the next couple days after. There was no bear activity but will beeing so close to the carcass keep other moose away? There was quite a bit of noise from the birds though.
    Ive shot deer and had others walk right by the gutpile within an hour of the kill.

Moose are very curious of gutpiles. They will often walk up and stare at them wondering how their old friend exploded into cotton game bags. Seriously though, the gutpile will not spook moose.

The bears will show too, if there is not one in the immediate area day three seems to be magic. If your close to it though your best bet will likely be at first/last light. This is my experiernce in the Interior, cant imagine it being much different in SE.

Wolves may arrive as well.

The birds will let them know.

Ive gotten them at caribou gut piles, on rivers.

Easy enough to do...Give 'em a howl, now and then, see if they howl back.

Never know.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Hunt the gutpile

My experience is; gut piles attract more critters to shoot. The benefit far outweighs the downside. Wait a minute. There is no down side, unless cackling ravens and whiskey jays is a downside. Moose don't mind gut piles as far as I have seen.

I've only seen moose move away from a gutpile or carcass that has rotted to the point that it is putrid. I've seen them catch the scent of a carcass that had been down for awhile and run the other way.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

they come right up and eat dog food out of the bear bait in the spring with a nasty ol stinkin mess nailed above thier head... those moose... i guess are used to stuff dying in the woods.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm curious.....does hunting over a gut pile count as baiting under the regs? I'd never thought about it until just now....but I happen to know where I could find a bear for the next few days.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

You can hunt over any gut pile. You can hunt over any dead animal. If the animal was killed by man NOT in the course of hunting you can not move the dead body/gut pile.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    You can hunt over any gut pile. You can hunt over any dead animal. If the animal was killed by man NOT in the course of hunting you can not move the dead body/gut pile.

AFHunter...

this reads funny, kind of implies that if man did not kill it...

it can be moved...

that is NOT entirely correct.

you may not move a dead animal if used as bait for Brown/Grizzly bears.

trapping and black bear baiting has it own set of rules and i am NOT fully familiar with them... but regarding the GRIZZ... DO NOT MOVE a naturally dead animal...

you may hunt over your or another gut pile but not the carcass of legally taken game as none of that meat is bait.nor may you use the salvageable meat off that animal for bait of another animal....

anyway some one will read up and correct it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here