Thread: antiseptics

Default antiseptics

I have the little towellette type in my kit, but I’m not sure they are the best option.

What type of antiseptics do you carry?

Oh yeah, I also have Neosporin packets in there as well.
    Last edited by BucknRut; 12-02-2006 at 16:55. Reason: add too

I'm very fortunate to have a wife who is a Trauma Nurse, our multiple first aid kits ROCK!

I carry in the "pocket size" kit a number of individually packaged Betadyne Wipes, along with Alcohol Wipes, the bigger kits have small vials of the actual liquids. While on the topic of sterility I also make sure EVERY kit has at least one set of vacuum selaed latex gloves (more sets for the larger "camp" kits).
    Somewhere on this computer we have inventories for our respective kits, so we can checklist 'em each time a new season requires a different set of kits to be pulled out of storage. I do know that every kit has different sizes of packaged gauze, derma-bond, butterfly dressings and at least tylenol with codeine.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Just Pills

I carry a few betadine wipes, but what I think most importantly then anteseptic wipes is antibiotcs. I take 7 Erythrimiacin (Z-Pack), protects against infections from the waist up. If you want to get even more technical, you can also get Ciproxin as well.

Vodka. Antiseptic and anesthetic. Multi-tasking is good.

Default BZK and Betadyne

I always have some Benzalkonium Chloride in my kit, along with Betadyne. The BZK is great on open wounds, and in case one of the party is sensitive to shellfish, as the Betadyne could cause a reaction. Same price, usually.

Cipro is a good idea, too. A strong antibiotic may save a life if isolated for a while. I have a list somewhere in my disorganised mess of a computer with decent lists for a personal, small group, and expedition kit. If I can locate it, I will post it up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmed View Post
    I always have some Benzalkonium Chloride in my kit, along with Betadyne. The BZK is great on open wounds, and in case one of the party is sensitive to shellfish, as the Betadyne could cause a reaction. Same price, usually.

Cipro is a good idea, too. A strong antibiotic may save a life if isolated for a while. I have a list somewhere in my disorganised mess of a computer with decent lists for a personal, small group, and expedition kit. If I can locate it, I will post it up!!

Welcome to the forums Wildmed. That would be great to have those lists posted here.

Perry
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Default antiseptics

I use a solution that I make with iodine based water treatment tablets.

Default Azithromycin

Quote Originally Posted by mtcop71 View Post
    ... I take 7 Erythrimiacin (Z-Pack), protects against infections from the waist up. If you want to get even more technical, you can also get Ciproxin as well.
    A 7-day course of Erythromycin? Hadn't heard about that. Do you maybe mean Azithromycin (Zithromax)? It's a good idea.

When I can get my hands on it, I'm a big fan of Mupirocin (Bactroban) -- while it's applied topically, it penetrates far better than most topical antibiotics. It's the sort of thing that can be used topically, but is also very useful for wound care if you've managed to get one deep enough to need a closure, but not so deep as to require systemic antibiotics.