Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Bison Updates

Default Delta Bison Updates

Any Bison hunters back from the flatlands yet? I just got off the phone with fish and game, and they said out of the 19 hunters that could start on the 1st, 12 bison have been taken so far.

Would be nice to have a thread sort of like the Haul Road Report Thread on the bowhunting forum that gave regular updates on success, locations, conditions and best of all PICTURES!

We'll be headed down early on the 15th to give it a try.

Jerry,

Completely forgot you had this tag...I may be able to hook you up with a section of land. Drop me an email if you're interested...I leave town on wed for a couple weeks, not sure when your go date is.

Default Saw a nice herd

cross the road on Friday night. I got 50 yards from them and they were oblivious to me being there. Looked to be a herd of cows and calves. One of the herd was a wounded critter as he couldn't keep up and was limping as he walked. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have seen the herd at all. Always neat to see those creatures!

Default eleven of twelve

Eleven of the twelve taken were in the Panoramic Fields, the 12th was taken on Schultz Farms. A very nice looking 4 year old bull. The hunters are really off to a good start of harvesting. Congrats to all!

I just got home last night. The trip was great! Opening morning I went out to the Panoramics and got a nice cow. It was a great trip and one that wont be forgoten anytime soon. We stayed at the silverfox and all the hunters that were in the cabin got their bison opening day. Best of luck to everyone else going up.

Default Got home yesterday

To all those that are going to hunt soon don't be afraid to talk to others while your there. There's a weath of info to be had if you want to have success. My son got a nice cow on 2nd day in the panaramics. I got a nice bull 4th day. On the Shultz farm. Thanks Diana & Scott !!!!!! Thanks to all the other bison hunters who shared info and the local residents. This was a lifetime hunt for my son and I. Memories that will be told for many family gatherings!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pappy,

Very nice bison!

Well done.

Default Very nice!

Pappy,

Thanks for sharing those picts! That bull is a dandy!

Man! Seeing those pictures makes me wish I had been successful in 2007. Hopefully I will get another chance someday. Congrats on a great hunt.

Pappy,

I like your photos as they are posed well and without blood and gore! That shows respect for the animals.

Let's all remember that this hunt comes about through a lot of effort and some sacrifice on the part of farmers. There are a few farmers that want this herd reduced or eliminated because of crop damage and hunter problems. We, as hunters, should do our part to eliminate the hunter problems.

Congrats to you and your son akpappy! Thanks for posting the pictures. What were the stalks like? Fairly easy to get on them?

Dan, I fired you off a PM. Thanks.

Default Thanks for all the nice comments !

If you have never seen this area you will be surprised how large this range is. The panoramic fields and gerstle fields are huge!!! You can't see from one end to the other. Farms are just as big. Be prepared to walk some miles just for the stalk. If you take your time and watch the wind and noise you can get very close. In public land remember their may be more than one hunter stalking that herd as was our case with cow. They shot first and bison ran to us. Shot was 60 yards. On the farm was different as their were no other hunters. On my stalk i was busted twice at about 250 to 300 yards before i got it right. Shot was 130 yards and was in his bed. Never got up. I did not expect him to be as big as he was. What a shock! Was able to drive truck to animals to field dress. Thank goodness!!!! This hunt was very pysically demanding and very gratifing

Quote Originally Posted by akpappy View Post
    If you have never seen this area you will be surprised how large this range is. The panoramic fields and gerstle fields are huge!!! You can't see from one end to the other. Farms are just as big. Be prepared to walk some miles just for the stalk. If you take your time and watch the wind and noise you can get very close. In public land remember their may be more than one hunter stalking that herd as was our case with cow. They shot first and bison ran to us. Shot was 60 yards. On the farm was different as their were no other hunters. On my stalk i was busted twice at about 250 to 300 yards before i got it right. Shot was 130 yards and was in his bed. Never got up. I did not expect him to be as big as he was. What a shock! Was able to drive truck to animals to field dress. Thank goodness!!!! This hunt was very pysically demanding and very gratifing
    Congrats on a great hunt! Most of us just donate our money every year for that tag! One of these years

Thanks for the info pappy. Thursday can't get here soon enough!

Any more updates?

Default Where did you stay?

Did anyone stay somewhere other than the Silver Fox? Gotta find a place to stay. Thanks.

Default Just spent the weekend

At Jenny's ALASKA COUNTRY INN. Nice and clean.

Default Thanks Northway

I'll be getting something secured here very soon. Wondering if I should take my quad up with or not. Not able to get up there until November 20th. No clue on what snow conditions "could" be like.

Starting to get some reports from other bison hunters that they are already pretty spooked and take off at the sound of a motor.

Good luck to all who head up!

Marlin, I should have a fresh report for you after the weekend. We are headed out there on Thursday morning. We plan to spot from a long distance and walk in on them. We are bringing my 4 wheeler just in case we drop one where we can't get the truck, but don't plan on using it to scout around. I'd rather have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Any other reports out there?

Default Delta Hunting Success

Sorry I have been extra busy otherwise I would have posted this a week ago.

My wife also had success with taking her first bison. Everyone in Delta was great. Thanks Diana and Scott for all of your help. My wife and daughter had a great time. We hunted the first two days one of Diana and Scott's sections. We saw grouse, and lots of bison sign, and had several encounters with moose. We hiked and scouted around and it provided an excellent opportunity for me to teach my 12 year old daughter about hunting it was a great outdoor experience. On the third day we drove to the panoramics and spotted a herd of around 35-40 bison. We parked the truck and made an exciting stalk on the herd.
    When we finally we in range to shoot the bison we so bunched up my wife passed on the opportunity. We them hustled to catch the herd passing into the next field. Finally a nice four year old bull straggled back from the rest of the herd and my wife then placed a GREAT shot. The bison went approximately 15-25 yards and expired just inside the brush line.

After several pictures we started butchering the buffalo. Six long hours later we finished loading the last of it into the truck. My wife nor daughter never had field dress anything. Delta Meats were great and accepted our buffalo after hours. By the time we got home my wife was already picking a place on the living room wall to put her trophy, this is great because prior to the hunt the only place she wanted the buffalo was in the freezer.

Thanks again for evryones help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Great Story

Rod,

What a great story. Those are also some awesome pictures. I'm sure you are proud. Really cool that you could do it with yur family!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast