Thread: Premium ammo and shorter ranges

Default Premium ammo and shorter ranges

Ok.
    For the moose hunt this year, as i couldn't get Accubonds in .280 from Federal anymore, i went with the Trophy Bonded Tip in 160 gr. Last year, i shot a nice bull at 150 yards, and recoverd the 160 gr Accubond. Perfect mushroom, just on the inside of the hide opposite. Ideal.
    This year, i took a nice bull (again) at about 40 yards. Used the 160 gr. TBT, and i put one into him, he walked about 10 feet, turned around, and i put one more into him from the opposite side, and down he went.
    After skinning, i found both bullets entrance and exit, about a 2" group, right through the lungs. It was like a laser went through the poor feller.
    I had thought i missed on the first shot.
    For closer distances, would it be better to go with a less "premium" bullet, like maybe a soft point core lokt? Something that will open up earlier?
    The TBT's did their job, but if they are passing through, all that energy is not going where it should.
    Thanks gents
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Ok.
    For the moose hunt this year, as i couldn't get Accubonds in .280 from Federal anymore, i went with the Trophy Bonded Tip in 160 gr. Last year, i shot a nice bull at 150 yards, and recoverd the 160 gr Accubond. Perfect mushroom, just on the inside of the hide opposite. Ideal.
    This year, i took a nice bull (again) at about 40 yards. Used the 160 gr. TBT, and i put one into him, he walked about 10 feet, turned around, and i put one more into him from the opposite side, and down he went.
    After skinning, i found both bullets entrance and exit, about a 2" group, right through the lungs. It was like a laser went through the poor feller.
    I had thought i missed on the first shot.
    For closer distances, would it be better to go with a less "premium" bullet, like maybe a soft point core lokt? Something that will open up earlier?
    The TBT's did their job, but if they are passing through, all that energy is not going where it should.
    Thanks gents
    Sounds like you had near perfect performance to me. Moose sometimes drop to the shot, but IME that is unusual. I would say falling within 10 feet of the first hit is about as good as you can expect from a 280 on a near 1000 pound animal shot in the lungs. I believe that the closer shots (higher impact velocity) require bullets that will provide more penetration, not less. IMO the TBTs make sense in your situation: a light caliber, relatively high impact velocity and a very large animal. TBTs seem made to order.

If you handload you might try some 175 flat base SP or RN if your shots are going to be inside 200 yards. These cup and core bullets may provide some increase in tissue destruction while providing adequate penetration, but it sounds like you got exactly what you hoped for, one very dead moose with no tracking job. I will add that this season I saw only one moose fall to the shot and that was a neck shot moose with a 30/06. All other moose took something like 5-15 strides before they folded up with rifles like the 30/06, 300 WM & 338 WM. Where we hunt at least these big critters just don't fall to the shot.

You won't go wrong with a 160gr partition or accubond.

Did you actualy inter between ribs where resistance was minimal? That tipped TB is new maybe they need to twik it some.

One other thought the 280 and 270 have taken lots of moose but a 35 whelen or even the 30-06 with their larger dia will work better but a gain any moose that drops in 3-5 seconds and close to where it was shot is near perfect.

I'm almost positive it was going down with the first shot, it (the moose) just didn't know it yet. Second shot was insurance.
    I always figured that if the bullet wasn't expanding, it wasn't transferring all its energy where it should, and hence the need for a slower round (maybe?).
    A 160gr. bullet from a .280 is whistling along pretty well at 40 yards.
    Last year, that 51" bull at 150 yards was down pretty much instantly.
    On inspection of the moose, both bullets broke ribs in and out
    I thought for sure i would find one inside.
    Bottom line is they did their job, no wasted meat, and freezer filled.
    A side note, my wife with her new Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 i bought her just before the trip (surprise honey) took a nice bull just after i did. Recoverd both her he 180gr. Accubonds. About a 70 yard shot. One through the ribs into the lungs, one through the ribs and into the outside shoulder. So, maybe its the Accubonds? I was really impressed with them last year in the .280, Fed just isn't loading them this year.
    Guess i need to start reloading.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.