Thread: success rate

Default success rate

I am from montana my wife is from georgia I have wanted to go to Alaska since I started hunting it took me three years to finally talk my wife into coming and the army is sending me there for atleast 3 years I have read through alot of the forum here and learned alot from all of your discussions I do have one question I will be a non resisent military for my first year so I can only hunt carabou black bear and moose I dont need anybody to give me ther favorite hunting spot I just want your opinions on what I can expect for a success rate in the gmu 20?

Unit 20 is a great unit for a beginner as it has decent access and good bear and moose numbers not to mention caribou if you want to work for them.

Roughneck,

As of Jan. 1st, 2009, all military and CG members who are on active duty and permanently stationed in Alaska and who don't meet the residency requirements are eligible for a special non-res $25 hunting license. I'm pretty sure those who qualify can also hunt brown bear/grizzly without a guide, but you still need to hire a guide for sheep (but you get a free tag). [Edit: I was wrong, you still need a guide for brown bear/grizz, here is the pdf sheet that explains the changes
    http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/li...icenseinfo.pdf ]

Overall success rates statewide are about 33% for moose.

Welcome to Alaska,

on the kenai it is about 10% for moose, but i wouldn't be surprised to see a jump in that this year, it was pretty good. might hit 12%
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    I am from montana my wife is from georgia I have wanted to go to Alaska since I started hunting it took me three years to finally talk my wife into coming and the army is sending me there for atleast 3 years I have read through alot of the forum here and learned alot from all of your discussions I do have one question I will be a non resisent military for my first year so I can only hunt carabou black bear and moose I dont need anybody to give me ther favorite hunting spot I just want your opinions on what I can expect for a success rate in the gmu 20?
    Welcome to Alaska or soon I should say! But prepared when your wife beats you with a frying pan for taking her to Wainwright... As Rob said unit 20 is great hunting heck I think half of 1/25 is down thier in 20D during moose season LOL.

Realistic success/harvest rates across the state for a guy who gets off a 4-wheeler and does some serious planning on where a plane or boat is dropping him, is:

Black Bear: 90-100%
    Grizz: 25%
    Bou: 90-100%
    Moose:50-75%
    sheep: 25%

This is my personal opinion. Others will vary.

Good luck.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the question was for unit 20

now 20 is a large unit with moose over a Good portion of it.

first year success rate? i would put it very low unless you have a hunting buddy that knows the area and can get you around.

sounds like you will be stationed at wainwright or Eielson. that is 20B, lots of moose in 20B however lots of private land too,,, i still don't know the trials to access areas behind me that i know are there.....

20A Tanana flats and FT MA are good hunting areas however again access is your issue. lots of highway frontage, but limited trial system and that which is there.is used heavily and requires ATV transportation to compete with the crowds,, or a boat to access the flats.

Moose caribou and bear are prevalent in 20A however success is based on the winning of a drawing tag for that unit... as General season hunts on moose are down to about 15-25% success or lower. bears are typically secondary incidental game, and bou require draws.

20D to the south of FBKS also plenty of game,, also has walk in area for bou, plenty of moose restrictions and access issues...

to be honest... IMO, your success rate to go it alone first year in unit 20 is going to be low teens% or lower unless you have assistance.

but don't let the detract from the fact that your here and trying,,,, with the antler restrictions on moose in many units,,, you may very well see plenty of game you are not allowed to shoot,,, but each time you find it you learn more about it. and better your chance for the next time out...

there are Hundreds of guys on here that are in the second or third year and still trying to connect, many in the 10-15th year of residency still trying to connect,

it all depends on how hard are you willing to work, how much Patience do you have, and how tenacious you become in your endeavor.

lots of guys will say fly out and better your chances, that is correct, however, that is NOT $$$$ feasible for many with family's to support and many save for years for these trips.

Keep reading, learning and listening,,,, as soon as you get here start scouting.... only 11 more months to moose season
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince,

My point exactly was: Do not limit yourself to a single unit. I just did not type it very well. Very good points, Vince

Roughneck,

You should plan your hunts based on access, money, and where the target species is at. I am not saying you can not kill almost every animal in a single GMU. It is easier to target specific species at different places. You get the joy of planning all the different hunts, and seeing some new amazing country.

good luck

Typically success for moose is less than 30%. People who know what they are doing will average much higher than this, but as Vince and others have mentioned less than 30% and sometimes well under 30% is the season average success rate for moose in a given GMU.

so what areas would be better for what speicies ?

i am also from montana and the army also brought me up here. i was in your position a couple years ago. i get a moose and bear every hunting season. i dont have a four wheeler, i just walk in. my advice to you is to go to the surounding gmu and do a lot of scouting a week or two befor hunting season. you will be amazed at the animals you see. like others have said you need to get off your wheeler and do a little work and your success rate will be much higher. goodluck