Thread: hikes in chugach range

Default hikes in chugach range

I have a cousin coming in for x-mas from college and was wondering if anyone had ideas for a day hike in the chugach range? thanks a bunch

The main problem that you'll be looking at is short daylight. That being said, there are some awesome hikes that can get you into some great areas in a short time.

My first recommendation would be the South Fork Eagle River trail. When driving north from Anchorage, take the Hiland Exit (the first one), turn right and then turn right again at the first intersection. You'll follow this road for approx. 7 miles and then turn right, following the brown State Park signs. The trailhead is pretty easy to find. For the first mile or so you'll be hiking above some houses, but then you quickly get back into a great alpine valley. The trail stays mostly in the bottom, but heading up any number of ridgelines is a possibility. At the end of the hike, about 6 miles in, there are two alpine lakes surrounded by some pretty amazing peaks. A great hike, and short enough to do in a day.

-Brian

Here are some summer pics of the South Fork area:

Nice pics. Isn't it awesome to think that that is basically your backyard?!?! Life is good in Alaska.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

It is indeed. What I love about that hike is those two lakes at the end of the valley. As you can see from the pics, one is glacial fed while the other is snow fed. Having the turquoise and clear lakes right next to each other (just seperated by a rocky morraine) is pretty surreal. Decent grayling fishing in the clear one, as well.

Life if good here. My wife and I almost bought property at the trailhead a few years ago, but fell into another deal. Still, we can be there in ten minutes. Love it!

-Brian

I would love to hike into those lakes. I used to backpack into mountain lakes in Montana and fish.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Book

There is a book 50 hikes in the Chugach or somthing close to that, you can get the book at the sciene center you might check that out.

Arrow Alaska outdoor books

Quote Originally Posted by George D View Post
    There is a book 50 hikes in the Chugach or somthing close to that, you can get the book at the sciene center you might check that out.
    Let me interrupt this thread with an important commercial announcement. <grin> We carry 50 Hikes in Alaska's Chugach State Park (and more than 100 other titles relating to the Alaska outdoors) on this website.

David

That book is just fantastic for those wanting to get into the backcountry and not sure of where to go, or are just looking for a new hike. I've given them as gifts (Christmas is coming up!) and have worn out a copy or two. Great way to help support this site.

Check out my friends website at:

http://chugachpics.tripod.com/mainpage.html

It has some good pics about areas around here, ask me if you have need details, also this website:

http://www.akhs.atfreeweb.com/fpdb/allhikes.asp

has quite a few hikes listed with directions to the trail heads, approx. hiking times, ect.