Thread: Beginners Trapping class end of October

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Beginners Trapping class end of October

Hello all,

I seen this post on the Alaskalist last night about a beginners trapping class being held at the end of October in the Chugiack area. I sent the link to my son there at Fort Richardson. I beleive/hope he's going to attend.
    If any of you are part of organizing this, I thank you. And if you see a wide eyed twelve year old out there tell him to pay attention and learn alot so he can show his old man when he gets back from Afghanistan.

Trapping School for Beginners - 2009 (Chugiak)
    Telephone : 1-800-478-5396
    TRAPPING SCHOOL FOR BEGINNERS
    The South Central Chapter of the Alaska Trappers
    Association will be providing training in trapping.

Does anyone know of a class like this on the peninsula? I want to start trapping this winter and would like to attend a class to learn a little and possible meet so people that are interested in trapping too.

akfirefighter,

Unfortunately there are only two general trapping schools offered by ATA each year. One is in Fairbanks and the other is in Eagle River.
    The Trapping school in Eagle River is Saturday October 24th at the Beach lake cabins off of South Birchwood loop, from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. If you come, you will walk away with enough trapping knowledge to start trapping successfully. The school covers stuff like what kind of traps and snares to buy, trapping regulations, and different types of sets used for trapping everything from ermine to river otter to wolf. They also cover skinning and fur handling as well.

If you want to learn more or sign up you can contact the coordinator, Richard at 907-688-3678