Thread: Best Camo Rain Gear

Default Best Camo Rain Gear

I'm sure this has been covered, but I want your opinion on the best Camo Rain Suit out there. Would like a suit that will go over the clothes I'm wearing as many of my hunts are stop and go rain. Tried the Cabelas best line and snaps pulled off the first time I used them. Thanks for the help. Gerry, esetter5@roadrunner.com

Default HH Impertech...now in camo

HH Impertech garners quite a few votes in past threads and is now avail in camo. In my limited experience, Impertechs have been tougher than I expected. Here's a link for a picture of the jacket: http://www.hellyhansengear.com/p-275...amouflage.aspx

Good luck.

Default Beagle wear .com

BEAGLE WEAR is a teflon treated wool product with or without a wind and waterproof liner. The famous Benoit family has been using there clothes for years. The Benoit book is the number one selling book on whitetails ever! I would like to see beagle wear tested in alaska. http://beaglewear.com

I researched this pretty in depth a few weeks ago. The majority was the Helly Hanson's Impertech II like what was posted above. I also heard the Camo is thicker than the olive, but I can't confirm or deny that.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    I researched this pretty in depth a few weeks ago. The majority was the Helly Hanson's Impertech II like what was posted above. I also heard the Camo is thicker than the olive, but I can't confirm or deny that.
    Camo appears to be a thicker, less-stretchy material with a difference nylon shell.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Helly Hansen

I called them and they said the suit does not breath. Is it bad for persperation?

Your either gonna get wet from the rain, or from perspiration.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default test this????

Somebody put this BEAGLE WEAR to the test. IT seems that wool repels water naturaly, but when you and a teflon treatment, water will run right off. Then you add a waterproof, windproof barrier underneath and how dry should one be. Wool breathes so it is not like wearing a rubber suit.

These coats and pants are not cheap. After searching, wool is not cheap at all. BASS PRO SHOPS quit selling wool coats and pants. Only selling socks and some gloves. America has gone the way of fleece. Made from oil. Who's buying wool to keep the price so high?
    I saw on a hunting show that NEW Zealand has population of 3 to 4 million people and 90 MILLION SHEEP. Testers needed.

Quote Originally Posted by haff202 View Post
    Somebody put this BEAGLE WEAR to the test. IT seems that wool repels water naturaly, but when you and a teflon treatment, water will run right off. Then you add a waterproof, windproof barrier underneath and how dry should one be. Wool breathes so it is not like wearing a rubber suit.

Testers needed.
    I am not willing to spend $300+ on a jacket that doesnt have a hood. What good is a waterproof coat going to do me if my head is still exposed?

The problem I see with wool being mixed with windproof, waterproof and other materials is that you lose the benefits of wool. Once you add all those extras the wool isnt as breatheable. Watch the video from SleepingIndian Wool products and he explains it pretty good. I have to agree with him. Why spend the money on wool with all those extras when you lose out on the benefits of wool.

Buy 100% wool...if it rains, put a rain suit on. A good wool suit will block out the wind.

Paolo

Default Beagle wear

A lot of big bucks have fallen with Beagle Wear on the track. This wool product takes wool to a new level of comfort with less weight and waterproofness qualities added.

First off, I'd like to tip my hat for mentioning Big Bucks the Benoit Way. I know the author and the Benoits and served as editor for the newest edition of that book. In case you don't know about it, they did a second edition in full color with new chapters and photos.

Secondly, have any of you tried Hy Creek camo? They offered to send me a set to test and I'm waiting for it to get here. Sounds good, but I'll be the judge, I guess.

Lastly, did you send the stuff back to Cabela's? I would be shocked if they didn't replace it immediately.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Default Benoits

I have checked out all the books about the BENOITS from the library and have had them for like 8 months now. I see Santa has some simliar sized rapped packages under the tree. He, He,!
    I have not returned any products to Cabela's.
    I like the look of BEAGLE WEAR but that price is just to high.
    Price of wool is just to high in general.
    Having trouble finding HY CREEK CAMO, I will keep trying.
    Are the BENOIT'S video's any good????????

From my experience any rain gear that is designed to be quiet, or has any sort of fleece or wool nap on the outside will eventually get wet, and very heavy in typical AK environments.

My take is that if your sitting and glassing in a rain storm you want to be waterproof- not in a wet layer of wool "whatever brand" warm when wet stuff, but actually dry. When moving I wear either just a base layer and get wet in the rain, or just a impertec type outer, expecting to sweat, then add clothes when I stop.

Don't get me wrong, wool is a great base layer, but has no business as an outer layer if your serious about staying dry and warm in wet conditions, unless you can be assured of complete drying between each days hunt, which doesn't happen in AK very often.

The Benoit's videos are good and are kind of a hoot.

Check out www.hycreek.com for the camo. It comes out of Ishpeming, MI.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com