Thread: Does this look fake

Default Does this look fake

Guy's I was just playing with some techniques I read about, for making skies blue. So I tried it on a few of my pictures. I'm curious if you all think they look fake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They look very nice to me.

Thumbs up beautiful

Don't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb1b View Post
    Guy's I was just playing with some techniques I read about, for making skies blue. So I tried it on a few of my pictures. I'm curious if you all think they look fake.
    It's a matter of (the viewer's) taste, and of (the photographer's) style.

The blue sky has a bit of a "plastic" look. That is somewhat popular with users of canon cameras; while others tend not to like it as much. The sky looks as if you used noise reduction software on it, and went just a little too far. It has none of the typical photon noise that predominates brightly lit sky scenes. (That could be "fixed" if you wanted to change it.)

The only other technical problem is that in neither of those images does the blue sky match the coloring of the rest of the image. In the first one the water in the stream would have had a much more bluish coloration if the sky had been blue. Instead it is reflecting a grayish sky. The second one has a lot grayish haze in the atmosphere between the camera and the mountains. It looks "weird" to see that and then also have a plastic fantastic blue sky.

Note that to be more "realistic" (a goal that may or may not be reasonable), it is probably possible to adjust the coloration of the stream water in the first image, and in the second image the haze can probably reduced (a bit of USM and maybe some color change too).

All variations, from what you have now to all of the changes mentioned above, fall under the cover of "style". None of it is right or wrong, just different. The "weird" color mismatches make the images distinctive, some people will see it as unnatural, but others will see that as unusually attractive.

They look great on my monitor!

Well done!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

I think the red vegetation on the second shot looks more fake than the sky.

From the sky's shading it looks like the Sun is somewhere high. But what I notice is the lack of shadows that should be on the ground. For more realism, I would add a bunch of clouds. A partly cloudy sky might be perceived as more justified by the lack of harsh shadows. Besides, partly cloudy is more visually interesting.

I have a small collection of sky shots I use for this. Whenever I notice an interesting sky, I shoot it, and file the picture with others stored for the same purpose. It's pretty easy to layer them into an interesting picture with a dull sky.

I never claimed to be a purist. I do it because I like pretty pictures.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to work more on the layering thing. I'm not fully up on how to do it.

As for the red, it is not fake, thst's the way it came out of the camera. My wife thought it was the fake part also.

As for the red, it is not fake, thst's the way it came out of the camera.
    Everything that comes from a camera is fake! It's the photographer's job to arrange for the viewer to imagine "reality".

And it gets worse than that too!
    "The camera doesn't rape or even possess, though it may presume, intrude, trespass, distort, exploit, and at farthest reach of metaphor, assassinate..."
    -- Susan Sontag, in "On Photography"
    Sontag is a really interesting read. Use google to find out more of what she had to say.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to work more on the layering thing. I'm not fully up on how to do it.

As for the red, it is not fake, thst's the way it came out of the camera. My wife thought it was the fake part also.
    You are correct about the red color. That's the way it looks to the human eye, and the sensor does a great job capturing it.