Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose 2009

Default Moose 2009

This is a tale of my yearly trip to Ak for a moose hunt this year. It started like many others with a rushed flight in & lots of last minute shopping. Ok enough of that lets get to the hunt.

Myself & a friend did a flyout to a remote river planning on spending 10 days afield hunting moose with a chance at black bear or wolf. Our original put in location had to be ditched because of lower water & pilot not wanting to land in a skinny river. We did find a put in but it was much lower that we hoped for as far as the river goes.

No problems so far but after landing we met a friendly guide who informed us that he had 2 camps downriver from us & they would be up & down the river useing jet boats. Again no prob he was cool & said hey your moose hunting shoot away.

I am getting a little long winded here but we didnt see much as far as moose goes for the first few days which was ok as temps where pretty warm. We floated & called while enjoying some good time afield.

My normal morning routine is to get up in the pre dawn light start a fire & walk down from camp to do some calling then return & have breakfast. Usually Dave wakes up & heads down to where I was to look around.

On about the 6th morn of doing this Dave who has never heard or shot a moose comes back from the spot I was calling. He is telling me he hears some weird noise right by where I was calling. I said really, cool did you try to call & he says no I cant do that real well. I say hell you really cant do it wrong so he goes back & tries a little but then returns telling me he hears that same weird noise. We are standing by the tent & Dave is looking across the river & thinks he hears something over in the opposite direction while I am just glancing down where he was just standing(the weird noise) I didnt have my rifle so I calmly say hey Dave can I see you rifle for a second. Without looking he hands me his 340 weatherby I shoulder it & put an end to that weird noise he was hearing.

That bull followed Daves calling right back to 68 yrds from camp & right off the river, man it doesnt get any better than that for a cleaning & packing job.

Now for those that say I shoudnt have shot my buddies moose well, I told him the first few days that he would shoot 1st & he kept telling me that no way we are both moose hunting & if I see a moose to shoot it. After a few days I clarified it with him & I said ok are you sure you wont be upset & he said again many times NO you see a moose you shoot it. Well I also asked him if I could fire his gun once before we left as I have never shot a big rifle & am considering a 338. I figured that weatherby would be about the same as far as recoil goes. He asked if it kicked much & I told him I didnt feel a thing....lol

Ok in the end I dont think he is to pissed but time will tell.

I need to give props to Pristine Ventures & Larry Bartlett for all the help on this hunt. I cant say enough about how far I have seen him go out of his way to provide the highest level of service above & beyond what one would expect

Now some pics of the trip
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats, I cant tell from the pic but is that the Magnum or Pro P? Looks like the magnum, how did you like it?

Wink

Sounds like you and your buddy had a great time and as a bonus you got a moose !!!
    Its great when a plan comes together.
    How did you like that Magnum ??

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Magnum

Yea guys that is a SOAR Magnum in the pic. I cant say enough good about it. We made it in with a single flight to our river, all in all about 700 lbs going in. Without that raft we would never had made it in a single flight, with charters costing what they do I am glad we had it.

You are looking at the raft fully loaded with a moose & as you can see we have plenty of room & in fact where prepared to put 2 in the boat had the chance arrived. I used a PP for a moose hunt & they get pretty full when a moose gets added. The Magnum gives me the room i need & keeps it light & simple.

Jeff

Glad to see you were able to make it back for anothe moose hunt Jeff, congrats on a fine bull!! You guys look chilly in that first pic!

Thumbs up

Congrats on your moose Jeff! I bet that is the last time your buddy offers to let you shoot his rifle and never forgets what that weird noise was coming from!

So you took his gun and shot the moose and didn't even bother to show him where it was? Kind of a jerk move in my mind.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    So you took his gun and shot the moose and didn't even bother to show him where it was? Kind of a jerk move in my mind.
    Yea I guess I have that coming, but its not like I took his gun, he handed it to me

Nice moose and cool story. Where ya from in Mi.? I spent 40 years there.
    Paul

Does the SOAR fit both of you and the moose or were you using one for each of you? How does it handle in the water, especially with the moose inside?

Thanks,

Steve

Funny story, Jeff. One wonders just how far away your own rifle had to be, considering you were right there in camp <grin>. Congrats.

Had a question. Can you tell us how you shipped the antlers/meat back home and basic cost of doing that? Thanks,

Default Bushrat

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Funny story, Jeff. One wonders just how far away your own rifle had to be, considering you were right there in camp <grin>. Congrats.

Had a question. Can you tell us how you shipped the antlers/meat back home and basic cost of doing that? Thanks,

Mark,

My rifle was about ten ft away leaning next to the chair, I looked at it & the decided to ask Dave for his instead.

I took the antlers back as exccess baggage & the meat is being processed at Delta Meats. Final shipping home is yet to be determined but is est @ $1.50-$1.80 per lb. back here.

Now if we add up how much moose really cost, including the extra flight out for the meat it goes way up from there.

The antlers pose a problem & if I could leave them there I would consider it, I have some nice ones already & as they say you really cant eat them anyway.

curious what how big he was...I was guessing 52?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskariverguy View Post
    Does the SOAR fit both of you and the moose or were you using one for each of you? How does it handle in the water, especially with the moose inside?

Thanks,

Steve
    The SOAR MAGNUM was holding both of us & we had room for another & where ready to put a second one in the boat given the chance. This boat hauls a pretty good load & to tell you the truth it handles as well full as it does light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearclaw67 View Post
    Nice moose and cool story. Where ya from in Mi.? I spent 40 years there.
    Bearclaw I am in Metro Detroit just a different kind of jungle here.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    curious what how big he was...I was guessing 52?
    Yea I thought someone might ask that, let the guesses fly. I will post it up afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I have to second this opinion. You already have a nice set of antlers at home, and you had to shoot when you could have just shown your "friend" where the moose was at? He has never shot a moose. Don't necessarily take offense to this, but what is wrong with you? I would feel terrible. I'd think there would have been more satisfaction in pointing out the moose for your friend, and seeing his joy when he takes it. I obviously don't know the "friendship" you have, and I appreciate a good joke as much as the next guy, but if I was your buddy I don't know if I would have found the humor in this one.

Good story, Jeff. Thanks! No criticism from me. In the future, I'll be happy to take those antlers you can't eat. I know a taxidermist in Mich. who would be happy to buy them from me, :-).
    I am a little surprised to hear Larry sent you somewhere a guide was operating??
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default MT

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Good story, Jeff. Thanks! No criticism from me. In the future, I'll be happy to take those antlers you can't eat. I know a taxidermist in Mich. who would be happy to buy them from me, :-).
    I am a little surprised to hear Larry sent you somewhere a guide was operating??
    Thanks somehow I knew you would approve

Larry did not set us on a guide camp, our pilot set us where he felt he could land, we should have been a good 100 river miles above that set up. No big deal as we all worked to stay off each other & shared info as we had it. Its pretty big country & no one was crowded.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL jeff no critizim here either....

i had just FINISHED 5 min early telling TWO buddies i was not shooting one unless they made me.

well......

they were too slow.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL jeff no critizim here either....

i had just FINISHED 5 min early telling TWO buddies i was not shooting one unless they made me.

well......

they were too slow.

Yeap, thats what they look like. I would have done the same thing you know

BTW sweeeet moose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast