Thread: Rem M700 trigger issue

Default Rem M700 trigger issue

A buddy of mine just purchased a Rem M700, stainless, in 270WSM. After a range trip resulting in 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards, with commercial Fed 150gr Nosler partitions as ammo, it was obvious it needed some love in the trigger assembly. Knowing Rem will not warranty its triggers if messed with, i informed my buddy of this and he and I felt compelled to adjust the trigger. I have adjusted two Rem triggers, one on my Model Seven and one on my M700, boy do they shoot good with 3 lb pull each. Nice. so, we begin to loosen the three srews of adjustments as per snipercountry.com instructions, as I had used before. Once all three screws were backed out... a small bar of metal fell out of the bottom of the trigger, along with a little spring!! So....now he can not have his Rem M700 fixed under warranty, right?! So he is considering ordering a Timney trigger to insert.
    ANY thoughts? Anyone else have this type of trigger issue?

According to the REm website his rifle was likely made in 2005. Its the only year the 270WSM was made for Rem M700 evidently. So, maybe it sat on the shelf and folks dry fired it for four years trying to decide whether to buy it or not? Or maybe it came broke from the factory?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

either read a book/article on how to put it back together or take it to a gun smith. It really is no big deal. Next time, leave the pins in. Best of luck. John

Vince at Precision Arms in Anchorage has done all my M700 triggers. I'd have him take a look at it. JMHO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

If you're in or close to Fairbanks, PM me and we'll arrange to get it back together. I should have any of the parts you need.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    After a range trip resulting in 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards, with commercial Fed 150gr Nosler partitions as ammo, it was obvious it needed some love in the trigger assembly.
    A trigger job might help a bit, but factory Remington triggers are already on the better end of the retail line, and even the best trigger isn't going to fix 5MOA. I'd look at bedding, scope rings/bases and a change of ammo as additional culprits after you get it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    a small bar of metal fell out of the bottom of the trigger, along with a little spring!!
    Is that possibly the bolt release button that fell out the bottom?

When you backed the adjustment screws out of the housing,the connector & pull weight spring were displaced.
    If you installed the sear spring prior to setting the overtravel screw you will bend the sear spring.
    Trigger group removal will enhance reassembly.
    Clean the housing/bolt stop w/ acetone.

Seek other adjustment instructions.
    or
    Seek professional assistance.

trigger work is fairly precice, but not difficult. it requires a balance between sear engagement and trigger spring (weight). a little adjustment is best....then "fine tune" for balance.

don't fix a watch with a hammer.
    happy trails.
    jh

Default dry firing, cause the break?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    A trigger job might help a bit, but factory Remington triggers are already on the better end of the retail line, and even the best trigger isn't going to fix 5MOA. I'd look at bedding, scope rings/bases and a change of ammo as additional culprits after you get it back together.

Is that possibly the bolt release button that fell out the bottom?

Thanks to all for responding! Maybe I was not as clear as I could have been. The small bar of metal which fell out of the trigger assembly was broken, it was not the bolt release bar. I am wondering if dry firing a Rem 700 over and over would cause this small metal bar to break? I.e., if left on the shelf at the gun store and folks were dry firing to see what the trigger pull felt like.

Also, have any of you had luck with glass bedding the stock of a Rem 700 stainless with synthetic stock? Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Dry firing might break the firing pin or cause wear to the backside of the bolt face and firing pin protrusion hole, but it should never break anything in the trigger mechanism. Might just be time and money ahead calling Midway to order a Jewel and be done with it.

Default ordered a Timney

my buddy got on line Midwayusa and ordered a Timney trigger for it. Should be here soon. We will see if it improves his accuracy once we put it in.

Exclamation Accuracy issue vs. Trigger problems

I'd say @ 100 yards off the bench & getting the stated group sizes consistently 'had' very little to do with 'trigger mechanism' from factory if the gun went blam after each work of the bolt and trigger pull.

Of course tinkering around and such (not addressing fault of any or being critical here) you obviously now do have a trigger issue irrespective of pulling the gun from the store racks and taking it out for a range session.

So I read a Timney is on its way... I'll tell ya if you guys had issues re-assembling/adjusting a Rem. trigger of that era M700 --- then do yourself a favor (as well as others) and have it professionally installed... not that it's all too complicated or difficult...just a wise decision on your part.

I would make a best guess that it is not ammo or rifle making softball size plus groups. Make sure of your sights, scope, bases and rings. Be certain of a rock-solid rest, practice sound technique, and consistent shooting conditions.

good luck -

Default Swapped out Rem trigger for Timney

Installed a Timney trigger tonight in this rifle. Nice 3 lb pull, very crisp. When taking off the original trigger assembly the other half of the broken piece (mentioned earlier) fell out. According to schematics of the trigger assembly it is part # 52, the trigger connector.

So very glad we recognized this poor performing trigger as in need of attention, and through simple ingenuity found in 'most' real men, we fixed it.

I will update you on the results as we head to the range on base and shoot.

Default Accuracy!

a final post on this issue of the Rem trigger. Since replacing the stock Rem trigger with a Timney trigger... and taking this to the range we found the rifle to shoot beautiful groups a .75" average, 4 groups of five shots each, at one hundred yards! What a great idea to replace the trigger ourselves!