Thread: Hornady SP bullet field results

Default Hornady SP bullet field results

180 factory hornady sp out of a .300 weatherby at 3200 fps. Bullet struck at 471 yards and still caused this....

.....Makes me wonder how it might do on a big bull elk or moose????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Looks like you spined it?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Looks like you spined it?
    Concur. I'd bet most of that damage is caused by secondary missile fragments created by the spine flying outward from the point of impact.

Did that to one deer with a 35 whelen and I normaly can eat right to the bullet hole when using it. Worse thing it was running and I put it right into the spine midsection blu out two whole viribras and 90% of the tenderloin.

It was a thridy yards shot at a crossing buck tailing a doe and was going full tilt. Thought to my self what a great shot, untill I saw what looked like A chainsaw kill . I am oldder and wiser and really pick my shoots its not just about what I shot but what shots I want to take any more.

I'll never shoot hornady "interlock" (bold faced lie) at a moose ever again. Next affordable bullet will and always will be.......a true bonded bullet.......the Speer Hot Cor. I learned my lesson with a blood shot front quarter on my moose....with a core seperation to match. I guess a 200 grainer @ 2,600 fps at a young bull moose shoulder......was too much to ask. Never again.

The Shot DID NOT hit the spine, just the top of the shoulder blades.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

My early experience with Interlocks almost soured me (100 grain .257 in 25/06 & 165 grain .308 in 300 WM), but since I have come to test bullets before using them in the field I've not been let down by an Interlock regardless of the caliber. My standard rule of thumb is to choose an Interlock with an s.d over .280 and an impact velocity under 3000 fps. For me they have just plain worked. If I have to use a über magnum of some sort and light weight bullets then I'll pick another design, but with proper s.d. and impact velocity I love the Interlocks.