Thread: Sitka Area Forest Service Cabins And Shore Fishing

Default Sitka Area Forest Service Cabins And Shore Fishing

3 or 4 of us want to experience remote forest service cabins, fly in only. We dont mind bringing an out board for a boat but would prefer cabins on lakes that have lots of shore fishing, We currently fish Rainbows in the Eastern Sierra, we use lures, fly and buble and bait if the bite is way off, so fishing techniques would also be welcome.... Any suggestions. We would be there in August 2010. Your comments would be appreciated..BTW, the Ketchikan area would be ok too.
    Thanks, Al

I'm not familiar with ALL the cabins in the area...but the local go to area is hoonah north of sitka. Good crabbing and shrimpin. Cant speak much for creeks or access to fish at that time.

You might, and I'd really look into a river called Sitkoh. It's on the inside sw corner of chichagof island. Should be a quick hop. You might also contact Dove island..I know he does a bunch of flying (guiding) and if nothing else would be able to steer you right.

Easy answer is Lake Eva for lots of sea-run dollies, some cutthroat. Fun fishing, one of the few places with alot of dry fly action. This lake supports over-wintering migrants. Very neat place to fish. Great action in lake outlet and inlet, and inlet stream. Outlet stream choked with pinks

Been to Sitkoh. It's a larger lake, has cutthroat in the lake, small dollies and larger rainbows in the creek. Hiking involved. Small creek. Larger lake.

Either of these places, or for that matter, anywhere in Alaska, is not what you may be thinking of as "shore fishing". Fishing is localized by inlets and outlets, and lily-pad areas, which are not accessible without a boat, not necessarily wadable except maybe at the inlet deltas. The lakes are bordered by large timber, with thick undergrowth, that goes to the lake edge. There's no where necessarily for you to stand and cast, or fight a fish. You don't step off into 1-2 feet of water if that's what you are thinking. You get around by boat. And it's alot easier with a dependable motor.

A few things to mention, though. Bait is restricted, not generally allowed, and not recommended. Hook restrictions - and even if there aren't any, the trebles are a pain ita. Clip off all of your treble hooks and replace them with some open eye single siwash in the ~#6 or so size, remove the barbs, and you will be alot better off. Finally, keeping fish. Some of these places allow it, some have slot limits, but don't go crazy on this.

Good grizzly bear viewing at both locations.

Default Sitkoh

I spent a week split between both of the Sitkoh cabins about 12 years ago. I don't know, but I doubt much has changed, so I do have some specific information if you go.

Hike from lake down to salt is 4 miles and fairly easy if trail has been maintained. Call the USFS to find out. Creek is small in character, excellent rainbow fishing towards the top under windfalls and deeper holes on spinners. I think the elevation drop is 148 from lake down to salt. Supposedly excellent for steelhead first big tide in May. Most of the salmon we caught on flies during June were in the bottom 1/3. Nice sockeye, lots of fun.

Then, down at the mouth, fish will bunch up HEAVY waiting for the tide to rise before entering the creek. We would go quite a ways out and strip deceivers and that fun did not stop until the tide started coming up.

I believe both cabins have skiffs, and we brought a small outboard we rented through Tacom (?-will have to check my facts here) Air. They were great. Pickup was a problem due to fog-in, and ended up spending 3 extra days and missing flights home.

Wonder if the fish I carved and nailed above the cabin door is still there?

Good luck wherever you end up!

Eagle River/ Juneau

As others have mentioned Bait is illegal in most SEAK freshwater from Nov 15 - September 15
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

You got some good suggestion above. I will ad a few to the many cool spots. If your going to fly-out of Sitka, check out Baranof Lk. cabin. Real neat spot. Small cutthroats, Dolly Varden and Rainbows, but lots of them. You would want a outboard so you could motor to the outlet and fish, plus soak in the warmsprings. Lake Eva would be a good spot in Aug. Can be some good Sokeye fishing. It has been years since I have been there and have never stayed at the cabin. I have been told the upper lake has some pig cutts. in it?
    If you decide to fly out of Ketchikan, there are a ton of cabins you could go to with excellent fishing. Some good ones are: Jordon Lk. cabin or Heckman Lk. cabin both on the Naha system. You can have good lake and river fishing. No need for a motor, unless you wanted to head to the upper end of Heckman. You wouldn't need to, because Heckman down to saltwater would keep you real busy with trout and salmon. The flight is short from Ketchikan.
    McDonald is another good choice. Good fishing near cabin, but would need a outboard to get to upper end of lake. Hard cabin to get that time of year. Trout, Sokeye, Pinks, Coho and maybe a dog or two.
    I would also look at Karta Lk. cabin or Karta river cabin. The fishing is excellent and both are great cabins. No need for outboard.
    My first choice, if it comes back on the books, would be Bakewell Lk. cabin. Not sure if it will be back on the books by then, but man there are some big cutthroats in there, plus should be a huge run of Coho next year. Also, Sokeye.
    You have a lot to choice from, better just spend a few years a fish them all. Good luck!

well - if you search the forums, I've been to McDonald too:

It's a neat cabin with skylites and a big clear-roofed deck that is very cool, and a dock that a floatplane can pull up to. Very well-maintained. The lake didn't fish well for me at all, and I tried. There were plenty of trout (bow, cutt, dollies) of average size taking globugs in both the inlet and outlet stream; the inlet stream being the better place to fish - and it is a 20 or so minute motor ride up there (~5 miles). Large pinks if that interests you. No coho for me (in late august), and it rained like hell all the time so I think it is a later run there. The sockeye didn't bite, and rarely do anywhere (unless on a redd) so that's no surprise. There's a rough trail to salt, but no fishing there as the river drops straight into a fjord of sorts, and does not form an outlet delta.

As for big cutts in Eva - I got a few larger fish but most were taking dries in the lily pads towards the outlet - not the inlet. The inlet was chock full of 2-4 pound sea-run dollies in the delta drop-off and behind every chum redd upstream. Eva has about 100 times as many fish as I have ever seen anywhere else for a lake in Alaska. No kidding.