Thread: Considering purchasing land in Alaska

Default Considering purchasing land in Alaska

My fiance and I have been tossing around the idea of buying land in Alaska and building a cabin up there for summer time enjoyment. I work for the school district here currently and she will be completing school to be a teach here pretty soon as well - so that means we have all summer to do what ever we want.

What I'm wanting:
    Remote - I want to get as far away from people as I can.

Direct water access - Prefer a lake - something accessible via float plane.. Possibly a river to make the property accessible via water in the summer.

Building materials - I want to have good sized trees on the property to build a nice cabin.

So where should I look? I've checked out all the current OTC offerings - but i was told the land thats typically listed on there is pretty crappy land over all - which is why it wasn't bought at auction. Though with the current economy I'm not sure how true that is.

Anyone familiar with the current listing for OTC sale? Any that I should avoid at all costs? My plan currently is to purchase something before next summer so I can spend a couple months up there working.

Thanks,
    Frank

My suggestion would be to spend next summer looking at land. You'll be happier in the end.

Yeah come up and enjoy the state before you buy. This is a huge place.

Another option is to come up here and teach. I teach in a village off the road system, jobs are plentyful, pay is great, teaching is very challenging, life is awesome. I'll probably have a "cabin" up here in a couple years.

Search this forum as there have been several excellent threads on this subject.

In short, remote land is cheap to buy but generally very expensive to build on due to the time and cost of transporting yourself and materials to the site.

There's plenty of good OTC land from the DNR but you must check it out first to sort out the good from the bad. My lot is pretty nice, well drained and decent trees for the area on parts of it, but if I bought 2 lots away I would of been badly disappointed because 2 lots away it's lower, smaller trees, not as well drained (not swamp just poorly drained flat land).