Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binos or Spotting Scope?

Default Binos or Spotting Scope?

High power binos over Spotting scope? Any thoughts out there?

I think both have their place as tools with bino's getting about 99% of the use. Personally, I don't have either but most of the hunters I'm filming with use their binos. On very remote physical hunts I see the spotting scope getting left behind...sheep/goat not included of course.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

BOTH! when at all practical.

good comphy binos for all day identification... and the scope to check legality before a stalk...

i have a few large pairs of binos and the hours we spent glassing moose this year they would have broke me.

when you are spotting game a few miles away, the glasses are best for rock or moose or ....

and the scope can(( or not))....put horns on one
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you are just starting out up here get a good pair of binos and then save up for a spotting scope. Like Vince said binos get the most use but the spotter comes out to determine legality of an animal or trophy quality.

Default spend...

Spend twice as much on your binos as you do on your rifle scope. Then get a spotting scope, I think they benefit sheep, goat and bear hunters the most. Or guides and "trophy" hunters.

Thumbs up Binos

I use Leupold Compact Gold Ring 10x25 its nice to put them in your pocket........have a 25x leupold Gold Ring Spotting scope compact also fits good in the backpack.....use pack as rest when hunting with spotting scope.

Binoculars for me.

Every spotting scope I ever had had catastrophic failure..........

Never did have a scope on a rifle I used.....

The father in law bought me a pair of REALLY Good binos, and they were excellent.
    They were a pair of Steiner Predators I used for years, and they took the use and abuse that never stopped, in the ocean, the mountains, 7 months a year on my snomachine.
    Must say, they never fogged or lost focus for 5 or so years, and were stolen from my sled with my travle bag.

The wife was given a pair of Steiners "Safaris" by her father , just before he had his stroke, and were semi preciouse to her, that were stolen a few weeks back from our camp, where waited for Caribou, when we had to go to Kiana to quell a psycotic episode.... those too, travled the hard road....always worked very well.

I must say, any set of bino's that have to be stolen to be replaced are the kind to get
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default This is what I have

http://www.google.com/products/catal...m=4#ps-sellers

Zeis 8x20 pocket binos. LIght, and AWESOME. I also have a TASCO and Bushnell spotting scope both of which have been around a long while and held up well. THe best part of the Tasco is the angled eye peice for sitting and looking over alpine valleys. Way better on the neck to look down vs scrunch your neck.

lLike others have said. Spend your money on Binos. You will NOT be sorry.

Thumbs up Spotting Scope

I hunt with my spotting scope. To me it is the only way hunt, stable for sizing just about all game and counting browtine's on moose. I use a Leupold 12 x 40 x 60 Golden Ring.

Jason

Default Swarovski

I made the mistake of looking through an 20-80x80mm Swarovski spotter the other day. I now know that nothing can come close to competing with this scope. It is very expensive but IMO, more than worth it if you can afford one. I'm saving my pennies for one!

I've been thinking about a middle of the road pair of binos to replace my old Nikons. Maybe some Leupolds or Vortecs. Then spend the bucks on a high end scope. Leica or Swarovski. A good comfortable pair of binos will help you find game, but a top dollar scope will let you know if the sheep or moose is legal. I looked at a sheep a few years ago through my Bushnell scope and could tell it was a decent ram. Looking through my partner's Zeiss I could tell it was a 3/4 curl and count the rings. Was a night and day difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kort View Post
    I made the mistake of looking through an 20-80x80mm Swarovski spotter the other day. I now know that nothing can come close to competing with this scope. It is very expensive but IMO, more than worth it if you can afford one. I'm saving my pennies for one!
    I made the same mistake last year but it was well worth it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogcrewer View Post
    High power binos over Spotting scope? Any thoughts out there?
    I have both, but if I had to choose one over the other I'd choose my binoculars. They are more transportable, versatile and don't require a tri-pod.

Whichever you choose, spend more money than you can afford right now...you'll save money in the long run over time. I've had a pair of Leica 10x42's for many years, and they are fantastic. My son will be looking through them long after I'm gone.

Doc

man a to big of a pair of bino's is like haulin a ball and chain. and you may still opt out for a tripod if you jump up to 12x's or more, even 10x's are much gooder with a stick.

I'll second the quality compacts though I'd go with 10x leica/swaro's. They are truely amazing for what they are! then again I'm a bow hunter...so you're mileage may vary. and regardless of my wasteline...I still like to carry a light pack! ounces equal pounds and this set will nock off quite a bit, without sacrificing quality in the process.

Currently I'm running a pair of 8x32 slc's and a 10-40x60mm leuy....the luey is ok, the slcs are to big....

guess it all depends on what you're doing and how you plan on hunting. Good optics will save you miles regardless with what you get.

Default Everythings a compromise

Many years ago, before the bino harness, I decided to buy a compact pocket binocular because I was tired of carrying a fullsize bino hanging from my neck weighing me down and swinging side to side. Was going to buy a Leupold, but Swarovski was way better at low light clarity. Bought the 10x25 Swaro's. Love them, they easily fit in front shirt pocket or coat pocket and you don't know you have them on you @ 8 oz and therefore always have them on me. Can belly crawl all day and they are never in the way and always ready to use. Downside is even the best 25mm lenses just cant gather as much light in low-light situations as larger objectives. Also smaller lenses suffer greater from bright light reflecting off the sides and causing washout.
    Recently, purchased a Swaro sts 65hd spotting scope from Doug at Cameraland. Again, I love it. Color and clarity with the ability to zoom in from miles away or to penetrate into the shadows and find what is impossible to see without it. It fits nicely into my backpack and its relatively lite weight @ 47 oz's.
    Next purchase will be a full size 10 or 12x bino for those situations that fall somewhere in between. Like glassing all day or when in or near a vehicle or early morning or late night low light situations.

Large binos on a tripod makes for extemely comfortable glassing for extended periods of time as long as you don't need the greater magnification of a spotter.

On a sunny day all optics are created equal. It's during the low light situations and inclement weather that you'll start to notice the difference between $200 optics and $1,000 optics.

A general rule is to spend the most money on whatever you'll be spending the most time behind.

For example, I would not have a $1,000 rifle scope and a $150 pair of binos. You spend hours behind the binos and seconds behind the rifle.

A high power binocular is a wonderful, albeit specialized tool. If you plan to spend long hours glassing from a vantage point there is nothing better. However, their advantage is mitigated by the additional weight you must be willing to carry, the inability to use them without a tripod and the incredible expense. Personally, I do not "need" them. I always carry a binocular. I use an older Zeiss 8X30 (20 oz) when weight is an issue and when I don't mind the extra lead in the glass I use a 8X42 set that weighs about 32 oz. I also carry a 25X Leupold spotting scope with me, always. It has sufficient clarity to discern the number of points on a bull moose at more than a mile and I have no trouble sizing bears and checking hides at similar distances.

I cannot justify the extra expense for a 20X60, or the like, binocular for the type of hunting I do. Perhaps if I hunted a lot of blacktails then I would change my mind, but for hunting from a spike camp the weight is such an issue I cannot carry them.

I personally don't have much use for high power binos. I carry 8x32s everywhere and use them constantly. If you have to choose between binos and a spotting scope, the binos should be first priority. A spotting scope is very nice to have, but won't get used nearly as much.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Smile

I did have to double check kort to make sure he didnt take my swaro spotter that day after trying to glass bears and moose LOL. I had a leica 60 mm for sheep hunting which is lighter but the swaro @ 80mm is no comparison and i took it instead and sold the leica. I would not trade my swaro 80mm or my leica geovids for anything. Expensive but it only hurt once and you never have to worry about upgrade!

Lots of good info shared already with a diversity of opinions. Here's a link to a great article about the virtues of the the high powered binoculars, along with a tripod.
    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/big_eyes.html
    I've got the 15x56 Swaro's with a Bogen Manfrotto tripod. You can't beat them when it comes to glassing all day in the big, open country. To each, his own...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast