Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: delta junction game ranch hunts

Default delta junction game ranch hunts

I found a couple of game ranch hunts for elk and or bison around Delta Junction. Has anyone had any experience hunting either of them. Any information you have would be much appreciated. If you do not want to post it on here please send me a pm.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Not realy hunts more of shoot your own meat JMHO

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

have a friend got did the elk

was made out like a huge reserve... but numbered elk in a large pen ... 3500 bucks got him...

wait while i pick yours out...

ah

there he is...#..........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The Misty Mountain Elk Ranch seems to have more of a hunt......100+ acres of fenced bush.....some folks have difficulty getting their bull and I have heard of folks giving up even though there are quite a few elk in the fence.....I think the key is to hunt during the bugle time.

Default What?

High fence "hunting" in AK?

Hey they could have no Elk hunt at all.

I think it serves its purpose for those that can't go to the lower 48.

Think of the cost for a plane ride down to where you would have to go, and not a for sure thing that you would get one, there.

I for one think its a good Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

Think of the cost for a plane ride down to where you would have to go, and not a for sure thing that you would get one, there.

$3,500 for an elk? How much for a bison? I imagine that the farmer butchers and wraps the meat, but $3,500 would get me a lot of bison (or beefalo at Fred Mayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

Why go to the Lower 48? We have wild elk here.

Default thanks for the info

Thanks everyone for the information. It is really appreciated and very helpful.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Why go to the Lower 48? We have wild elk here.
    IF you draw a tag and IF you just want to hunt Roosevelt Elk....yea, we do.

not to mention one of the hardest elk hunts of your life...still not cheap to do access wise...

I'm not against them if people dont loose site of the fact they are not hunting, the delta hunts that is. It would be nice to be able to pick out your winters meat supply if you werent so lucky to nail a moose or a caribou or two. Heck a fly out moose trip can easily cost more then these hunts, so from a financial standpoint..hmmmm, maybe I'm on the wrong side of the fence :P touche!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post

I'm not against them if people dont loose site of the fact they are not hunting
    Judging by the title of the thread they already have.............
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I would give it a try if it was more affordable for me. Whether or not its high fence, or "not hunting", its another way to fill the freezer(although $3500 is a lot $$ for an elk IMO), thats the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    I would give it a try if it was more affordable for me. Whether or not its high fence, or "not hunting", its another way to fill the freezer(although $3500 is a lot $$ for an elk IMO), thats the way I see it.
    I am with you on this. I would not mind at all killing a bison for meat (I could care less about the horns). But three of four Grands to kill one at Delta Junction still is a lot of money for most people. I believe there is a least one bison farm in Alaska (maybe around Kodiak?). But the last I heard it costs over $4,000 for one, although they butcher it for you. That is $4K for the bison, plus trip expense.

factor in boats, 4wheelers avg gas and equip per year, bush flights, many spend easily this much. or very close to it! Now if I could only talk my old man into off'n the huge black angus we have..man alive!!! That sucker would feed an army for a year shew.

You guys might want to look at the prices before quoting what people post on here. The prices are cheaper for younger bulls and for cows than they are for mature bulls. So your cost comparison might be even more in favor if you are just looking for meat in the freezer.

On the hunt or not a hunt thing isn't that up to the individual that is paying for it not us on the sidelines to decide?

The animals are not held in a cage or small fenced lot and you still have to go out and find the animal so isn't that hunting? Granted its not something I would do and call it a hunt, for me a hunt is the experience of being out in the woods and does not have much to do with harvesting an animal, thats just a bonus and taste a lot better than store bought stuff.

Just my 2 cents you judges have fun with this one I am out of it.

I did a fenced hog "hunt" here in Arkansas this summer. I went in knowing it was not true hunting, and only did it for the meat. But it was still more fun and somewhat more sporting than going to Wally World to pick up some pork chops. Plus I got to test some loads for a new rifle. I also plan to do a ranch-style bison hunt sometime. Unless I get stationed back in AK again, the logistics make it easier than a wild bison hunt up there (not to mention the crazy drawing statistics).

So my opinion is, go for it if you have the $$.

Delta was $2500 & $3500 for bison last I saw. Don't know about elk. More cost effective than flying to Farewell and better chances than winning a Delta or Farewell permit.

Tim

Smile hey...

Me and my 2 buddies were talking about a fenced bison hunt at Delta. We heard 2,700 bucks for a bison. Then we got thinking about the money we just spent on the Koyukuk moose hunt. If we went in on it together we would have lots of good bison meat, a warm place to sleep with a shower and they process it for us. Also, I could dress up like a buffalo hunter, set on it with the long barreled Marlin 45-70 and get my picture taken. What a smokin deal! Is it hunting, not compared to what I have been doing for the last 50 years, but that does not make it wrong if you are just filling the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Me and my 2 buddies were talking about a fenced bison hunt at Delta. We heard 2,700 bucks for a bison. Then we got thinking about the money we just spent on the Koyukuk moose hunt. If we went in on it together we would have lots of good bison meat, a warm place to sleep with a shower and they process it for us. Also, I could dress up like a buffalo hunter, set on it with the long barreled Marlin 45-70 and get my picture taken. What a smokin deal! Is it hunting, not compared to what I have been doing for the last 50 years, but that does not make it wrong if you are just filling the freezer.
    Good point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast