Thread: your most productive lures?

Default your most productive lures?

What are your most productive lures in lake, and rivers?

I'm moving to Anchorage soon, and wanna get some info before I go so I'm not looking like a total newb! So in seasons past, what lures have you been catching most of your fish on (rainbows, lake trout, salmon [any kind], pike, and grayling)?

I've been reading around, and a lot of y'all like panther martins! We how about hard bait? Crankbaits, jerkbaits and the like? Also is there any kind of topwater bite?

Thanks so much guys!

Hi man,

This is a loaded post. To really give you all this information would take a long reply. Its like my first post. I basically asked: " So how is fishing in Alaska?" Of course, most people on this forum are very helpful so I got some great replies that helped me narrow down my questions.

I think the best way to find out about how to fish the area you are going to is to read a book. I read this one: http://www.amazon.com/Flyfishers-Gui.../dp/193209802X
    to start. It was suggested to me by Danattherock. I taught me A LOT

I also read AlaskanAuthors: http://www.flipkart.com/alaska-fishi...979-lsx3f46meb

Both are in the bookstore on this site.

Think of your post as this:

Im going to the state of florida. I wanna catch some fish so what do you guys use for Catfish, largemouth, triple tail, snook, yellow fin and wahoo fishing? Do spinners work?

To answer some of your questions:

Crankbaits might work for the Pike and maybe the lake trout but Im not sure. Man, I REALLY wish the Kings or Cohos would hit crank baits. They're so fun to fish!

Top water bite as in poppers? I can only imagine the pike taking those but I know its not a popular method here. Maybe the Rapala sales rep was no good in Alaska.

Try to break your questions down by species, and where you will be fishing for them.

Ex. How do you catch Kings from shore? When do they run? Whats the closest river to my house? etc.
    Easier to give answers that way.

Anyways, you're really lucky to be moving there! Sounds like you love fishing so you may never sleep in the summer!

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Florida.boy View Post
    What are your most productive lures in lake, and rivers?

I'm moving to Anchorage soon, and wanna get some info before I go so I'm not looking like a total newb! So in seasons past, what lures have you been catching most of your fish on (rainbows, lake trout, salmon [any kind], pike, and grayling)?

I've been reading around, and a lot of y'all like panther martins! We how about hard bait? Crankbaits, jerkbaits and the like? Also is there any kind of topwater bite?

Thanks so much guys!

Smile paying your dues...

It takes awhile to learn to fish in Alaska's waters. Timing for each speices is important, especially on the salmon. It is much different from Florida. From your posts I think you will catch on fast. You could subscribe to Fish Alaska magazine, it has some good articles and pictures in it if you can wade through all the adds. Old Alaska is gone, so when fishing from the road system expect lots of crowds during the summer salmon runs. Most Alaskan's you run into on the river banks will be happy to share information and technique with you. Our rivers and lakes are all cold and will freeze you up and kill you if you fall in and stay in for very long. But, we have no snakes, alligators or crocodiles, only bears! Don't forget your insect repellant. Welcome to Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Hi man,

This is a loaded post. To really give you all this information would take a long reply. Its like my first post. I basically asked: " So how is fishing in Alaska?" Of course, most people on this forum are very helpful so I got some great replies that helped me narrow down my questions.

I think the best way to find out about how to fish the area you are going to is to read a book. I read this one: http://www.amazon.com/Flyfishers-Gui.../dp/193209802X
    to start. It was suggested to me by Danattherock. I taught me A LOT

I also read AlaskanAuthors: http://www.flipkart.com/alaska-fishi...979-lsx3f46meb

Both are in the bookstore on this site.

Think of your post as this:

Im going to the state of florida. I wanna catch some fish so what do you guys use for Catfish, largemouth, triple tail, snook, yellow fin and wahoo fishing? Do spinners work?

To answer some of your questions:

Crankbaits might work for the Pike and maybe the lake trout but Im not sure. Man, I REALLY wish the Kings or Cohos would hit crank baits. They're so fun to fish!

Top water bite as in poppers? I can only imagine the pike taking those but I know its not a popular method here. Maybe the Rapala sales rep was no good in Alaska.

Try to break your questions down by species, and where you will be fishing for them.

Ex. How do you catch Kings from shore? When do they run? Whats the closest river to my house? etc.
    Easier to give answers that way.

Anyways, you're really lucky to be moving there! Sounds like you love fishing so you may never sleep in the summer!

good luck
    Cool! Thanks a lot! I'll try to narrow everything down.

I was reading around the the inter-webs machine, and found a cool website that help me a pretty good deal with steelhead and salmon.

Alright.. so my dad's getting a job at the college around Anchorage, I was looking around good earth and say there's a good number of lakes around, he said they're full of lake trout and land lock salmon, I'm not really sure what the lakes are called, just know where they're at.

I also saw a rivers around Willow, along state road 3, and one near Eklutna. Is the fishing for steelheads and salmon there any good?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    It takes awhile to learn to fish in Alaska's waters. Timing for each speices is important, especially on the salmon. It is much different from Florida. From your posts I think you will catch on fast. You could subscribe to Fish Alaska magazine, it has some good articles and pictures in it if you can wade through all the adds. Old Alaska is gone, so when fishing from the road system expect lots of crowds during the summer salmon runs. Most Alaskan's you run into on the river banks will be happy to share information and technique with you. Our rivers and lakes are all cold and will freeze you up and kill you if you fall in and stay in for very long. But, we have no snakes, alligators or crocodiles, only bears! Don't forget your insect repellant. Welcome to Alaska.
    Thank you for the welcome!

lol, good, I think I can handle bears! I've had TOO MANY close encounters with poisonous snakes, in fact, i saved my little brothers life from one when he was around 5.

btw, is there a way to change the forum color? I honestly don't really like the color on this one!

along state road 3
    We don't number our roads they all have names. I believe you are refering to the Parks Highway running from Wasilla to Fairbanks.

Then you have the Glenn Highway running from Anchorage to Glennallen.

The Richardson Highway running from Valdez to Fairbanks.

The Alaska Highway running from Canada to Delta Junction.

There are plenty of others but that should get you started.

Yes we have good rainbow and steelhead fishing.

Thank you for the welcome!

lol, good, I think I can handle bears! I've had TOO MANY close encounters with poisonous snakes, in fact, i saved my little brothers life from one when he was around 5.

btw, is there a way to change the forum color? I honestly don't really like the color on this one!
    I don't care for snakes either and the new forum colors are not working in my humble opinion but they are still here. Ahhh!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    We don't number our roads they all have names. I believe you are refering to the Parks Highway running from Wasilla to Fairbanks.

Then you have the Glenn Highway running from Anchorage to Glennallen.

The Richardson Highway running from Valdez to Fairbanks.

The Alaska Highway running from Canada to Delta Junction.

There are plenty of others but that should get you started.

Yes we have good rainbow and steelhead fishing.
    Ya, I know what that's like! Here in Fl. we live in what one would "Country) and people in the city still call the road we live on by the number, I have no clue what's they're talksin' about either!

I'll try to find the names of the roads.

Ya, I know what that's like! Here in Fl. we live in what one would "Country) and people in the city still call the road we live on by the number, I have no clue what's they're talksin' about either!

I'll try to find the names of the roads.
    I think it's Parks highway, and Glann highway (Eagle river).

Any of those places good?

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post

arent wiggle warts considered crank baits? polywogs, magnum wigglers, and wiggle warts have produced lots of kings and silvers for me, low tide, high tide, even very late at nite with hardly any light...they hear it and they just mangle em! just fish em low and slow and if theres a king or silver in the hole your fishing, be ready! also about poppers, they are pretty effective when trolling for trout, and ive heard of guys catching grayling on the littlest ones. pike love em too. the "jitterbug" is one of my favorites, I like to call it my "annoying pike magnet" theyll follow it for along ways sometimes, but they dont always hit it. the jointed rapala lures are pretty effective to use when trolling for trout and char if you can get them to and keep them at the right depth, but spinners like vibraxes and mepps take the cake here. if you stock up on a large assortment of super vibraxes ( different colors and sizes), throw in a small collection of pixie spoons, and a few choice mepps or panther martin spinners ,a couple dardevle spoons, krocodiles and some crappie jigs, you should be set for any water, any fish in Alaskas freshwaters. you mite also want to start practicing and learning how to use a fly rod effectively. the most effective and popular way for catching salmon here, is the coho or russian river fly, a 3/4 oz rubbercore sinker, and the technique we call "flippin" or "flipnrip"...at least on alot of the kenai peninsula fishin holes.

the Parks highway starts in wasilla, and runs north to fairbanks 370 miles. best fishing as far as im familiar with is from willow to talkeetna. all the streams have good salmon runs, and good trout fishing as well as a few other species. most of the lakes can be good too. BE SURE AND GET REAL FAMILIAR WITH THE REGS! our law enforcement here is really tough on violators and big tickets are easy to come by.

the glenn highway starts in anchorage and stops in glennallen. fishing opportunities are not what they are on the parks, seward, or sterling highways but there are a few lakes and maybes 2 streams you could spend time on.

best place to start honing your AK fishin skills is close to home. Anchorage has alot of fun lakes and 3 streams closeby....from may to july you can catch kings in downtown ship creek...you can also learn alot by watching and talkin to some of the more experienced anglers. in august you can fish ship creek, campbell creek, and bird creek for silvers or pinks, and again, you can really learn alot if you pay attention. there are 6 stocked lakes in anchorage that are filled with rainbow trout, arctic char, and landlocked salmon...best way to catch these guys is with single salmon eggs or very small spinners. again pay very careful attention to the regs BEFORE you fish an area, if you dont understand them, ask someone who looks like they would know, or if you can find a law enforcement officer, ask them. and just as important study do yourself and Alaska a favor by studying our fish species so you can identify them fast and properly, in case they need to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    the Parks highway starts in wasilla, and runs north to fairbanks 370 miles. best fishing as far as im familiar with is from willow to talkeetna. all the streams have good salmon runs, and good trout fishing as well as a few other species. most of the lakes can be good too. BE SURE AND GET REAL FAMILIAR WITH THE REGS! our law enforcement here is really tough on violators and big tickets are easy to come by.

the glenn highway starts in anchorage and stops in glennallen. fishing opportunities are not what they are on the parks, seward, or sterling highways but there are a few lakes and maybes 2 streams you could spend time on.

best place to start honing your AK fishin skills is close to home. Anchorage has alot of fun lakes and 3 streams closeby....from may to july you can catch kings in downtown ship creek...you can also learn alot by watching and talkin to some of the more experienced anglers. in august you can fish ship creek, campbell creek, and bird creek for silvers or pinks, and again, you can really learn alot if you pay attention. there are 6 stocked lakes in anchorage that are filled with rainbow trout, arctic char, and landlocked salmon...best way to catch these guys is with single salmon eggs or very small spinners. again pay very careful attention to the regs BEFORE you fish an area, if you dont understand them, ask someone who looks like they would know, or if you can find a law enforcement officer, ask them. and just as important study do yourself and Alaska a favor by studying our fish species so you can identify them fast and properly, in case they need to be released.
    Very inforamtive post, thanks a lot, I'll make sure to learn the Regulations good!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    arent wiggle warts considered crank baits? polywogs, magnum wigglers, and wiggle warts have produced lots of kings and silvers for me, low tide, high tide, even very late at nite with hardly any light...they hear it and they just mangle em! just fish em low and slow and if theres a king or silver in the hole your fishing, be ready! also about poppers, they are pretty effective when trolling for trout, and ive heard of guys catching grayling on the littlest ones. pike love em too. the "jitterbug" is one of my favorites, I like to call it my "annoying pike magnet" theyll follow it for along ways sometimes, but they dont always hit it. the jointed rapala lures are pretty effective to use when trolling for trout and char if you can get them to and keep them at the right depth, but spinners like vibraxes and mepps take the cake here. if you stock up on a large assortment of super vibraxes ( different colors and sizes), throw in a small collection of pixie spoons, and a few choice mepps or panther martin spinners ,a couple dardevle spoons, krocodiles and some crappie jigs, you should be set for any water, any fish in Alaskas freshwaters. you mite also want to start practicing and learning how to use a fly rod effectively. the most effective and popular way for catching salmon here, is the coho or russian river fly, a 3/4 oz rubbercore sinker, and the technique we call "flippin" or "flipnrip"...at least on alot of the kenai peninsula fishin holes.
    ya, wiggle warts are cranks!

I'll make sure to stock up good on all of the above!

another great experience, since your from the south where you never get ice, would be to try ice fishing! if your interested log on to iceshanty.com and get advice from the pros!