Thread: Biscuit is home now!!!

Default Biscuit is home now!!!

Well, I just got home with my new lab "Biscuit". I know that it is a generic name, but when you have a three year old and a five year old that you have been reading a dog book to for several years, that happens to have a yellow puppy in it, thats the name you get. She is wonderful. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow.

I'll have her steady in a couple weeks. Just kidding.

Jeremiah

Default can't wait for pics!

WTG! I am waiting to see. I bet it is a beauty.

Here are some pictures. Not very good, but I'll get some more up soon.

She is doing great so far. My family is having a lot of fun playing with her. I can barely keep my three year old away from her.

Jeremiah

Default deep doo doo

You are in such deep doo doo I doubt a snorkel will help. What a bundle! Man you are going to be busy beyond belief. You thought kids were tough to handle a night? Wait till she starts crying at 2am.
    Looks to me like you plumb wore her out already!
    So how is the food research coming? You getting smart or did you give up and go with advertising?
    Good luck with her. Looks to me like she has all the right parts to make a bird dog out of.
    By the way, not a darn thing wrong with that name. Rolls off the tongue just fine.

Smile

That a good looking pup, congrats! Im looking for a yellow lab pup myself just trying to get everything I know im gonna need first just have to be patient. End of Oct. or Nov. im hoping there will be a descent litter available.

What a cutie! I LOVE her zipper (the line down her nose).
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, we've made it through the first couple of nights without any major disasters. She did wake up the whole house this morning around 5am, but its a small price to pay for such a great little dog.

In case anyone is wondering we are "paper training" her until I've had a chance to get her to the vet this week. We are renters so I am also looking out for the flooring in our place. We are starting to understand her potty routine, and we'll transition to the yard soon.

As far as food goes we are still at a bit of a loss. Between work, getting stuff ready for winter, taking care of a puppy, kids, and trying to sneak some bird hunting in I just haven't had a lot of time. For now she is eating what she ate in her litter. I will continue the search though, because I think it is the right thing to do. I want Biscuit to have a long healthy life.

Jeremiah

The look on her face say's " what did I do to get jail time."

Good looking dog, and great headline on the paper.

Here's to many years of happiness bringing another member into the family.

Default airline kennel

A airline kennel works good for house training. I would check Petco over their near Barnes and Nobel. I bought a kennel 2 month ago to keep out cat isolated, and a medium size kennel was $80, which it was more than I wanted to spend. If you go that route, and in case you may take the Biscuit on a trip, get a large one.

Biscuit is a fine looking dog. I would like to get another one, but I have 3 dogs, 1 is 6 months old.

Anyway, good luck

Craigs list also has quite a few crates available for next to nothing. I personally use a wire crate for pups, it gives them the sense that they are still a part of the family. Not so enclosed....Lifestages even has one with a partition that grows with your dog, which is really handy with these growing babies.
    Beautiful baby though! She should give you many years of joy! Have fun training!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

if you're in my neck of the woods (wasilla) I have a crate you can have for free...will fit an adult lab..
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I wish I would have known that when I was down there Saturday, but oh well. I'll get one when I get my state wellfare check on thursday

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahak View Post
    I wish I would have known that when I was down there Saturday, but oh well. I'll get one when I get my state wellfare check on thursday
    you 'outta be able to get a pretty nice one with that check...lol.....

anyone else want the kennel, its yours....one catch though....I got it from a family friend....it was used for guinea pigs last year...there was a small area in the back that had some 'stuff'...I power washed it and my wife cleaned it with clorox....we got the blanket in there and put in the new pup...the little turkey could smell something in that corner and absolutely would not leave it alone...he was digging and licking the crate...so off to Walmart I went at midnight to get a new kennel after driving up to Fairbanks and back in the same day to pick up the new pup...lol...

so it sits on my porch now waiting for my next dump run...too bad it didn't work out for me though, it is a really nice kennel....the door swings both ways and the top comes off very easily....if someone thinks they can clean it up and use it let me know...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I just got my Smartwork puppy training video in the mail.

Default How is it going?

Jeremiah how is it going with your new dog? Any new pics?

She is doing good. I'm not very good at pictures, but I'll get some more up on here for you guys. She is getting big fast. I have been using treats to train her on sit, stay, here, and heal. She does pretty well with those when she is in the mood to listen. The nipping is getting under control, and potty training is coming along. My family and I are very happy with her. Of course she chews stuff up, and has "accidents", and does other annoying puppy things, but she is well worth it. I hope she is "birdy" as they say, but we'll just have to wait and see. She does play hard whenever I get the grouse wings out so I think she may be a hunter. I'll try and get pics up soon. Thanks for asking.

Jeremiah

Now that is a very cute pup! Best of luck to you and your family.

Just a couple of quick tips: Whenever pup wakes up, or whenever she's been playing or inside for a while or drinks a bunch of water, take her outside and use the selected command. I've always used "Outside?" And then when she does her business outside praise her profusely. And about chewing...find something suitable she is allowed to chew, and prevent her from chewing things she is not allowed to chew. Sounds easy, but it's not. You have to stick with it. Dogs learn by repetition, so be consistent and keep after it.

The most powerful word you can use with up is "Goooood Girl" when ever she is, well, whenever she's good.

Enjoy the journey. Take lots of pictures. Best of luck!

Jim