Thread: Waterfowl Taxidermist

Default Waterfowl Taxidermist

Looking for recommendations for a good waterfowl taxidermist. I don't see a lot of guys that specialize in birds in Alaska.

Post Interior Bird Taxidermist

Though I have yet to use them myself, I've heard Corey does great work at Northern Wings Taxidermy. I have a Ruffie in the deep freeze but hoping for a nice fully plumed Mallard to take to him. Either way, come the end of the season, which is coming pretty fast as water starts to freeze here in the interior, he'll get a bird of mine.

http://www.nwtaxidermy.com/

Rich Dykema, at Fowl Play Taxidermy in Soldotna is really good. He always has winning birds at the SCI Banquet in Soldotna.

Northern wings taxidermy does good work, but the turn around can be a little slower than promised.

Default Thanks for replies

Should have said that I would prefer Anchorage / Valley, but I will be in Fairbanks at the end of the month and can also get down to Soldotna,

I heard there is a guy in Big Lake who does good work. I have seen references to him in the past on these forums.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Moving into the new workspace/house/new pup has put me alittle behind , but by the end of this week I'll be caught up.

Hope all you guys are doing well and shooting lots of birds...I'm going to take the pup out for his first hunt in the morning...I need to get a few gun shots off and see how he reacts to some grouse feathers in his mouth!

-Northern Wings

don't know where you live but i don't think you will find a better guy to do your birds than Rick Richardson, at Caribou unlimited, in sterling. He's not the owner but they raised their prices from 250 to 325.00 he does extreamely good work. he's done 2 birds for me pintail and my first golden eye and gonna bring him a gadwall soon. They have a showcase that is as real as it gets in the office.

personally i have 18 mounts and he makes those back in the lower 48 look like amatures. 262-7585 i think is the ph.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Honker

You must of worked real hard to find a colored out pintail up here. Nice bird!

I've done a little taxi work myself, a couple of things to look for.
    Do they inject the feet. Shrivel vs plump and live looking
    Do they use artificial heads/bills. (recommended) Real bills shrivel
    Look at the painting on the legs and bills, of the work they have hanging. Does it look right?

Kathy at Foxy Beaver Taxidermy does all of our work. I know she has done some wonderful birds for us, She is located in Big Lake...

Give her a call and decide for yourself
    907-892-8938 Kathy Kidrick
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

The guy from Big Lake is "Birds by Ed" I think. I haven't had any work done by him, but I can PM you his telephone number if you want ti try it.