Thread: do you guys get storms of the century typle storms

Default do you guys get storms of the century typle storms

i was watching the weather channel tonight on tv and they had this program on the bering sea and how every couple of years you get a storm of the century off the coast heading inland ..with a lot of snow and ice beening dumped on the land in a short time with gale force winds ..

how bad does the bering sea affect the area around anchorage and other coast typle towns ..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    i was watching the weather channel tonight on tv and they had this program on the bering sea and how every couple of years you get a storm of the century off the coast heading inland ..with a lot of snow and ice beening dumped on the land in a short time with gale force winds ..

how bad does the bering sea affect the area around anchorage and other coast typle towns ..
    Do you remember last year, and the year before... and a few more before that...

all the blizzards, ice storms, and hurricanes that stomped the crap out of the lower 48, ?

people died

power lost for weeks on end

national guard feeding cows....

all that stuff?

yeah

well that don't happen here...

the coast will blow, and ice.. but those that live there know how to deal with it..

our snow removal is done while it snows in most cases... except anchorage because the twiddles won't park there car so the roads can be cleared..

it has been... at least 25 years since i was told a road was closed due to snow storm...

avalanches aside from that... or flooding of bridges in the spring.

but as a rule.. schools don't close

roads are open.

business as usual every day... but keep in mind.

being down near anchorage.. your chances of getting NAILED by another driver jumps about 1,739,238.9871 times the day it snows...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

down in texas there was a standard joke about poeple and rain ..when it rain you where more likely to get hit then when it was raining then when it was snowing ..for people slowed down when it snowed ..but when raining they still went at the break neck speeds that they did when it was dry on the ground..

Don't mean to nit-pick but a "storm of the century" is only supposed to happen once every 100 years, of course that's on average. You could go 500 years without a "storm of the century" and then have one every year for five years in a row. When I lived in Illinois we had a 1500 year rain (was only likely to happen every 1500 years). Two thunderstorm systems collided, as a result we got 17.5"s in about a 4 hour period. Very impressive and what a mess when the sewers became overwhelmed and backed up into our basement.
    Steve

As someone who's been working on the oceans of the North Pacific, Gulf of Alaska and Bering see for nearly two decades, I can tell you they do get a lot of storms, but I think what you are talking about is the reference to the Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands as "The Cradle of Storms" not "Storm of the Century"

Low pressures build in the Bering Sea and then move generally East, often building along the way. South Central Alaska gets hit with these storms frequently, my parents house by potters marsh is usually subject to 100mph winds once or twice a year as are many other houses in the area. This is business as usual here though. The only time things really ever shutdown is if we get a brief warming period that melts a lot of snow and then it re-freezes overnight. When I was going to school here in the 80's that only happened twice that I can remember. It's happened a lot more recently to my kids though. I think they canceled school 3 days in a row last year because of icy roads. I think the last day was canceled simply because they had an extra day to burn and it seemed like a good time to do it. Even with school canceled, businesses were open and people were moving around, just more cars in the ditch.

The previous posters were also right about the accidents, insurance rates are higher here than most places in the lower 48. People just gotta get there now, can't slow down and arrive 3 minutes later.

i was going off the what the weather channell was saying about them ,.for they said it happens more up then comeing off the bering sea area then it does on the east coast area ..they where saying that the storms hit each other out to sea and become one storm pattern and when it hits shore it becomes a nightmare for some of the areas with the dumping a lot of snow and ice in short time..

Quote Originally Posted by acruxksa View Post
    As someone who's been working on the oceans of the North Pacific, Gulf of Alaska and Bering see for nearly two decades, I can tell you they do get a lot of storms, but I think what you are talking about is the reference to the Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands as "The Cradle of Storms" not "Storm of the Century"

Low pressures build in the Bering Sea and then move generally East, often building along the way. South Central Alaska gets hit with these storms frequently, my parents house by potters marsh is usually subject to 100mph winds once or twice a year as are many other houses in the area. This is business as usual here though. The only time things really ever shutdown is if we get a brief warming period that melts a lot of snow and then it re-freezes overnight. When I was going to school here in the 80's that only happened twice that I can remember. It's happened a lot more recently to my kids though. I think they canceled school 3 days in a row last year because of icy roads. I think the last day was canceled simply because they had an extra day to burn and it seemed like a good time to do it. Even with school canceled, businesses were open and people were moving around, just more cars in the ditch.

The previous posters were also right about the accidents, insurance rates are higher here than most places in the lower 48. People just gotta get there now, can't slow down and arrive 3 minutes later.

Not true. The kids had to go to school for an extra few minutes for a few days to make up the last "snow day" so they didn't have to go an extra day.

Didn't we have 3 "ice days" this last spring?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Alaska weather

Winds in Kodiak in the 100mph catagory run pretty much every spring and every fall.
    Last winter I had to put on snow shoes (once)to walk the 1/2 mile down to the hospital to walk my wife home from work. I stopped plowing snow at 5 p.m. because I could not keep up just like public works and state hyways quit plowing. There was 4 feet of snow in the parking lot by 11 p.m. when I left for the hospital. Coast guard base and schools closed earlier(very unusual) and no school the next day.
    When it was over we had 8-10 foot drifts around the complex and I had to borrow a friends small frontend loader to move snow so I could plow.

Worst snow I have seen in the past 30 years and we even got 11" on Easter Sunday. Still snow in the mountains when we got our first snow 2 weeks ago.

Neal

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Well in 96 our first winter n Valdez, my oldest had just been born, Dec, 95 and we had had zero snow up until that point...

on Feb 6th it started snowing on us at Black Rapids of the rich hwy.... and we were pushing 24" by the time we made Valdez,

that week it snowed 16 foot in Valdez, and 28 foot for the month of Feb. we watched the grocery store disappear from view out our window ( living in the college dorms) and spent all my free time running a shovel to help folks.

hwy never closed, business as usual
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quite common weather in Valdez Vince. Not once have I ever seen a CNN crew in Valdez or Kodiak when the winds and water pick up to the point the waves wash the container vans off the docks and the ferry has to jog around in the lea of some un-named island trying to stay out of a storm until it dies down enough to tie up for either loading or off loading.

Axcept the past two winters, Kodiak does not get Valdez style snow! I like my rainy easy going winters.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Island View Post
    Quite common weather in Valdez Vince. Not once have I ever seen a CNN crew in Valdez or Kodiak when the winds and water pick up to the point the waves wash the container vans off the docks and the ferry has to jog around in the lea of some un-named island trying to stay out of a storm until it dies down enough to tie up for either loading or off loading.

Axcept the past two winters, Kodiak does not get Valdez style snow! I like my rainy easy going winters.

Neal
    oh i am aware of that... just tying to show that storms that lock every thing down are far from the norm here. i honestly think folks in the states take the brunt of the weather... either that or they have not built, to with stand it as we have, or implemented the infrastructure to deal with it.

i mean comeon..... in 2002/03? that winter. 7.4 earthquake rolled through here.

busted the Richardson hwy all to heck and moved a few cabins off the foundations and knocked stuff of the shelfvs... but in reality. NO serious damage to any one. no life lost, no emergency rescues... etc.. couple hole to fill Alaska has learned it lessons over the years and those on the coast deal with the winter storms that roll off the gulf...

but still did you loose services for that period of snow? power lost? all the old people in town die? you know like they do down in the mid west when an ice storm rolls by?

meet on face book here