Thread: Any thoughts on Rem 700 mountain rifle LSS

Default Any thoughts on Rem 700 mountain rifle LSS

It is almost dividend time and I have been eye balling the mountain rifle in .270 win (already have a 7mm and a 06). Does anyone own the rifle and what are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    It is almost dividend time and I have been eye balling the mountain rifle in .270 win (already have a 7mm and a 06). Does anyone own the rifle and what are your thoughts?
    It's a great rifle, though like any rifle it has its strengths and weaknesses. I wonder why a 270 Win when you have an '06 and a 7mm (do you mean a 7mm Remington Magnum?) already in your safe? It is a nice balancing rifle and is perfectly adequate for anything you might hunt using a 270 Winchester.

Thanks -- I am down in Southeast (Juneau) now and feel it is a more practical for black tails (.270 vs 7mm / .300 win mag / .338), packing up in the mts, and the rain forest conditions.

People seem to like the laminated stock that comes on those for other applications - it's worth a bit of money. Sell it, and locate a stock from one of the early remington TI rifles - you'll save probably a pound over the laminated stock.

Default Remington 700 Mountain Rifle

I have the Mountain Rifle in 280 caliber. Going to use it for deer season this year. Hard to find ammo for it. Not a popular caliber for Florida. Had issues getting it sighted in. Now have that fixed barrel was rubbing the stock. I can do groups at 100 yards using a bench rest 1/2 inch. I wanted this rifle since its only 6 1/2 pounds. I have a friend that had one in same caliber. He used it in Alaska for moose. Shot goats in Montana at 350 yards. Has also shot black bear using Remington 165 grain kore loc. Right now I'm using Fusion Federal 140 grain when that is gone going with Hornady 139 grain sst. I can order that from Graf and Sons

My thoughts are: why do they put that heavy laminated stock on there, then call it a mountain rifle? If they would put a synthetic stock on there, I would probably own that rifle right now.

I also don't care for the look of that brown laminate with the stainless metal.

Default good douglas island rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    Thanks -- I am down in Southeast (Juneau) now and feel it is a more practical for black tails (.270 vs 7mm / .300 win mag / .338), packing up in the mts, and the rain forest conditions.
    If you plan on leaving the safety of douglas Your going to want a bear proof caliber.

I bought a Mountain LSS in 3006 for my son. Absolutely beautiful rifle. The brushed stainless metal, combined with the deep brown grain pattern of the laminate stock really make for a handsome and practical rifle for Alaska wet weather field use. The LSS '06 is more accurate and more tolerant of bullet and powder cobinations than my Titanium Model 700 in '06. The barrel is of a bit larger profile on the LSS and perhaps that is why it is less finicky about loads.
    If I had a new rifle in mind it would come as a Remington 700 Mountain LSS. American made and a joy to shoot and carry.
    Tommy

I have the 700 LSS Mt Rifle in 30-06. It's my go-to rifle. Not as accurate as some others, but light and shoots well enough to do the job if I do my part. I take others for certain applications, but if weight is an issue, LSS is it.

I happen to like the look of the stainless w/ brown laminate. I know not everyone does. It would look good with a grey laminate like the regular LSS too (though that one is pretty darned glossy!)

I have one in a 7mm-08. Like the rifle just fine. It has taken 2 caribou and shoots great with handloads off the bench. A new trigger (Timney or other) is on the wish list as the factory trigger is heavy and seems to be hard to adjust (I can't get through the epoxy/glue in the screw hole!!). Good looking rig, light enough for me!

DS

Default Remington 700 Mountain Rifle

I have no problem using a rest with my Mountain Rifle in 280 doing 1/2 groups at 100 yards. I went on a hog hunt with the Mountain Rifle last night here in Florida. I took a sow hog at 40 yards right threw the heart. Shatter her right fore leg. She did run for about 15 yards. Never seen so much blood using the Fusion 140 grain before. Was easy to fine her in the high weeds. She dropped right before the swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shovel View Post
    I have one in a 7mm-08. Like the rifle just fine. It has taken 2 caribou and shoots great with handloads off the bench. A new trigger (Timney or other) is on the wish list as the factory trigger is heavy and seems to be hard to adjust (I can't get through the epoxy/glue in the screw hole!!). Good looking rig, light enough for me!

DS
    I bought the same Mountain Rifle - 7mm-08 Remington combination and it also came with the non-adjustable version of the Mark X-Pro trigger. It was made just before the change over to the adjustable version. I installed a Jewell Hunter Varmint Trigger and set it at about 2 3/4 lbs. A little light, but it feels good. Nice trigger. Came with its own safety and adjustment for pull, overtravel and sear engagement is a snap. The screws are set in nylon so they don't need thread locker to hold them in adjustment.

Default Nice rifle

I think the LSS Mtn 700s are one of the best looking production rifles. Women even think they are pretty. I ended up with two of them both chambered in 280 Remington. Originally went to buy my wife something in a 270Win as replacement for her Kimber Montana 270WSM (that she didn't like). It was my wife who picked the first one primarily based on its looks. Ended up with 280Rem because the shop didn't have any 270Win on the shelf. I prefer the 7mm caliber, but was determined to let her have her pick so it worked out well. After a trigger job, it shot decent. As configured they are not exceptionally light about 6.5lbs but perfectly adequate. I ended up buying another one for myself because I liked hers so much with the intent of using it for a build. I tripped everything except the action. I kept one of them in the original laminated wood stock and stuck the other one in a McMillan Edge, eventually went on to become a 280AI, when I replaced the barrel. These definitely benefit from a trigger job or an preferably an aftermarket trigger, when bedded into a quality synthetic stock, they can make for a very good light mountain rifle. If you don't mind Remingtons the LSS Mtns are a nice rifle right off the shelf. Good looking, fairly light, decent accuracy, what's not to like? Does Big Green even still make this model?

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Thumbs up LSS moutain rifle

I have one in 7mm-08 and love it. One of my favorite rifles. I had no problem adjusting the trigger on mine.

I considered doing exactly what Timber Smith did. But by the time you buy the rifle, the aftermarket stock, etc, etc you might as well have just bought the Ti and saved time. That's why I want Remington to put a factory synthetic on there. OR the wood stock that was on the original Mountain Rifle. Not the one with the hideous detachable magazine, or even the laminate. But the nice walnut with black tip. Now THERE was a nice looking rifle.

And am I crazy for wanting one in .35 Whelen?