Thread: Jim Lake/Creek?

Default Jim Lake/Creek?

I heard Jim Lake as well as Jim Creek are supposed to be pretty good for Ptarmigan/Rabbit, I was just wondering How do you get there??

Thanks,

Jon

p.s.
    Anyone been to either recently?

Jim lake is off of Maud rd. In Palmer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

to get to jims creek from anchorage get on the glenn highway and head north. get off the exit at the old glenn highway i believe is the name, but it is the exit right before the knik bridge. follow the old glenn highway all the way past the knik bridge and keep on going. you will seee a sign for the knik dragstrip. its been a while but i think its a blue sign on your right. turn right there. take the road down, it turns into a dirt road and there will be a big lot on the right, the first one is the trail i usually take. you then put it in 4 wheel drive and follow that trail. all in there are rabbits but i usually like off roading so i go further back. that trail will take you to the flats and then follow the flats back and you will run into jims creek. im sure its frozen over but i would not drive a truck on it. good luck

I hit Jim Creek hard this mourning primarily hunting yotes. With the fresh snow I spotted very few rabbit tracks and I not once spotted one of these furry creatures. They are out there, the past few years the rabbits have been thick, but I have a tough time spotting them with the snow.

WG, Thanks for the report. Did you see any grouse?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Was out at Jim Lake last weekend (25 Nov) with a buddy and we didn't see any rabbit or grouse. Saw tracks all over the place (rabbit & grouse) but none were stirring. About the only thing we saw were lots of finches, 6 big eagles, many ravens, several squirrels, and flushed out about 12-18 mallards. Yeah, there was some unfrozen water flowing towards the lake and the ducks were sittin' there.

About the only thing we got was a few hours of great exercise.

I did not see any grouse, but I frequently spot them on the dunes right at the wood line. Also I come across a lot of ptarmigan by the glacier.