Thread: Decoy Question

Default Decoy Question

So I have found mixed info while researching this.

I have been seeing lots of big groups of birds but havent been able to turn them. I usually use about 7 mallards and 4 teal decoys with some on a jerk rig. I get most of the loners or the pairs to turn. The pond I hunt is fairly large.

Do you think I need more decoys and another person to call or are these guys just gonna go where they wanna go

thanks guys

Default birds

Well from what i have seen up here if your not where there wanting to go and in a group good luck turning the birds. Anything over about 6 i have not got them to turn. Small groups always decoy and makes the hunt last longer which i dont mind at all. Hate when i limit and have to go home to do chores

Your in Fairbanks man....every pothole has been hunted and hunted and every bird hasbeen shot at....most birds now are starting to get deek shy and also very call shy....put a little motion in you spread like a mojo and throw the jerk line in the trash....if the birds are gonna set they will set....were not in arkansas anymore...

Default mix your set

I use mixtures and small groups. I put out 8-12 mallards, 6-10 pintails, 8-12 teal, and a few widgeon. If you put them in small groups over a bit bigger area they get more attention. If I'm on the river I'll put a bunch of standing geese and ducks along shore and several bunches of various species. It seems to attract their attention and turn more flocks. Having two or more people call makes a difference. My daughter uses a guieter drake mallard call and my son works a pintail/widgeon call, I work the hen mallard and goose calls. Different sounds (variety) and different sounds have been working great for us. Ponds around Fairbanks are icing up quick. Very few birds left.

Tealer has some good advice in my opinion, I like to use a mixed bag as well. I like to use 12 Mallards, 6 widgeon, 6 Pintails, 6 Teal, and a few bluebills, and 4 duck butts. I also use a few floater goose decoys, (sometimes I use swan decoys) And I use mojo's. Actually I have found those jerkstrings make a big difference on those still days. I always cary a couple with me. As Far as calling goes, I don't call a lot this late in the season. If I do call, it's usually just a hail call, and maybe a feeder chuckle, or a couple quacks. If they don't turn, I figure they probably are on a mission, and will keep going. Try using a widgeon, pintail, or drake mallard call. It is really suprising how many birds will turn with these calls.

Good luck
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

hey thanks for the info guys hoping to nail some this weekend we will see though. Have you guys ever hear of people painting their decoys all black? I know is is really popular down south by california.

Default eclipse plummage

I have wondered about dulling down my decoys for this time of year. If I look at birds around the area (whats left) they are still all dull colors and the drakes are barely distinguishable from the hens. I thought about repainting my deeks to reflect the late sept/early oct plummage. I've been painting my own birds for 30 years and have found the darker shades do very well. I don't know about black but darker browns with gray (where the white should be) may be an effective combo. Even birds that normally have strong white are still grayer at this tiem of year (pintail, shoveller breasts etc). Might be worth a try.

Bottom line is that you need to be where they want to be at. Plus you can't compete with live birds they are going somewhere that they will be unmolested. One case in point a new flock is coming you can tell sometimes if they can be worked give them a highball call and read them they will either show interest or not but later in the season I would add more deeks to the spread with a couple toys just like your jerk deek that works great good luck.

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
    Bottom line is that you need to be where they want to be at.
    Exactly
    Best advice I've ever heard is that if you want the birds to land in your decoys, then put your decoys where they were going to land anyway.

Early in the year, I only use hen decoys. I start throwing in drakes around this time of year.

Default Decoy movement

I saw a trinket in the Redhead catalog that can be attached to the bottom of your decoy or on the line. It looks like a gray hockey puck that vibrates due to a couple AA batteries inside. That looks like a simple method to add some ripples on otherwise calm water.
    We found a good way to scout this year. We cruise the river in the morning looking for sand bars with lots of goose poop along the waters edge. If it is a place we can put standing deeks along the shore and floaters in the water (duck and goose) we set up. We'll either park the boat right there and camo up (desert camo netting and cut brush) or hide the boat on the downstream side of the island and use a shovel and dig out a spot for layouts. By late afternoon-early evening the ducks and geese will return to the safe spot they were at the night before. Bang
    I own very few duller colored drake duck decoys anymore (all repainted dull) since each fall the birds are gone before they have real color. It's worked great.