Thread: Ice fish lake suggestions

Default Ice fish lake suggestions

After not having a day to fish for a long, long time, I'll be able to get out on Dec 16/17. Any idea where I can get out for lake trout, or GOOD ice fishing. I would have a shelter, gas auger, etc. Closer to Anchorage the better, but have auger, will travel...

Thanks in advance y'all. And no, I just didn't get out of prison. It's just going to school full time and work full time with family...

Default Good Place to ICe fish

I don't know about lake trout but I would recommend Matanuska lake right off the highway going towards Palmer from Anchorage. I have caught many large Artic Char there and a few nice rainbows up to 20". A few local lakes have recently been stocked with 24.7 inch char. Finger Lake, Matanuska, and Sand Lake are three. Good Luck, I think Big Lake has some nice Lakers but not sure.

Default Ice fishing close to town

I would recomend Sand lake, for char and trout. I haven't caught many trout, but have seen others with good size fish (rainbow in the 16 to 19 inch). I have caught some good sized char out of there, same size. Hope this helps.

FM.

Keani Lake if it ever freezes also hidden lake for lakers, no lakers in big lake
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

has kenai lake froze over yet?