Thread: 264 win mag

Default 264 win mag

anyone have experience with one? A friend has one new in box, a 2002 winchester super grade for sale. Was thinking of getting it for my wife for deer and extra camp rifle for moose and bou.

Its fast and flat for sure.Maybe abit much for deer but a fine sheep and goat round.

My dad has one that he has been shoohting for 40 years now. His is a Sako. Very fast and flat shooting round. Light bullet weights. It is a pretty common round where the shots are long and the game is small. The ammo can be hard to find and very pricey when you do find it. Should work fine for Moose and boo.

Hunters out here in the Bush sure love their 264s for moose and caribou.

The only thing that I don't like about the 264 is there is only a few grain bullets for it. You can load a 300 win mag to out perform it and do it with a heavier bullet.

Default Bullets for the 264

I'm guessing here, but I don't see why you couldn't use 6.5 bullets for a 264. The diameter is the same, and you can easily get bullets from 100gr. to 160gr. I've loaded 120, 140, and 160 for my 6.5 Swede, and all were pretty easy to find. Factory ammo may be a different matter, and there may be some reason I don't know about for not using 6.5 bullets. Can anyone enlighten me?

The other question I have is whether or not the 264 Win mag is a barrel burner. I've heard from a few people that the barrels don't last long, and wonder if that's the case?
    Last edited by Terry D; 10-03-2009 at 16:11. Reason: 'nother question

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default it's got appeal

When I was a kid, oh, about 12 years old, we had a Winchester catalog in among the hunting and shooting magizines. In the back if that little "booklet" was the current loadings by Winchester, along with their ballistics. I thought that 264 looked like a rocket, and the numbers were impressive on the ballistics page too.
    Most of the current loading manuals indicate that the 264 is similar to the 270 Winchester... I would think however that some careful loading and a 26" barrel just might put it closer to the 7mm Remington Magnum. In other words, what could be achieved with a 140 grain out of the 7 mm Remington Magnum, could be closely similated with say, the 120-130 grain 264 bullets. At those speeds you might want to increase performance by using bullets that have a proven record in the weight retention department.. I wouldn't hesitate putting a 140 swift A-frame out of that cartridge right through the boiler works of a Moose or 'bou...
    And just think, when and if you ever burn that barrel out (which would take a lot of shooting), you have the action to mate a 358 Norma Mag up to... Now, There's a Moose gun.!

I bought one NIB in 1967 and used it for almost 10 years, sold it to a friend, and he's used it ever since. I personally put over 1000 rounds through it, and he hasn't let it gather dust. I just called to see if he still shot it, and he does, guessing he's put 3-4,000 rounds through it over the years. Call it 5,000 rounds total, and you wouldn't be far off.

Oh, and shot out? Considering I used to edge down toward half an inch for best loads and groups, and now he only edges down toward an inch, yeah. I guess it's shot out. But I'd still be hunting with a rifle that breaks an inch and a half all day long. And so's he.

Good round, and no excuses. Match your bullet to the game, and it'll do fine. My (and my friend's) bullet of choice is the Nosler 140 partition. Bullets usable in the 6.5x55 are fine in the 264, if a little tender at close range in the lighter weights. I'd probably stick to the 140's on game if you would rather shoot standard bullets rather than Noslers or another premium.

I previously had one on and off for several years. It's the only rifle I truly regret letting go from my collection. Something about it made it special. Minimal recoil, better ballistic coefficient and sectional density compared to the 7mm Rem Mag for like-weight bullets, and you won't see one on the shoulder of every other hunter you pass in the woods. I agree a 26" bbl is beneficial to get the best performance, and I've shot one with a 28" Pac-Nor that added another 80fps (140gr @3200) putting it squarely into 270/7mm Wby territory without the funky freebore. If I could find another, I'd own it. It was the only post-'64 Mod 70 I kept for more than a month, and I really don't like Mod 70s.

Hmmm...now that I've got an Encore, maybe I can see about a 30" bbl .264 WM. That ought to be a screamer with a case full of RL22

Default My Dad's favorite...

I have a very nice pre-64 Mod. 70 in .264 Win. Mag. It was my Dad's and what he hunted with in Alaska, Montana and Wyoming. The barrel is 26" and I heard it may be made of some kind of stainless material. His load was a 140 grain Nosler Partition and H4831. He swore by it and shot many moose and caribou with it. I have not shot it in years. It is a big rifle and probably weighs close to 9 lbs. I doubt most of our animals would know the difference between it and a good 140 grain .270 Winchester load which I personally would prefer and think would be a better choice due to available rifles and loading components. To really get the most out of a .264 Win. Mag. you need a 26" barrel. A .270 does fine with a 22" barrel.

Default 264 Win Mag is great!

I have the pleasure of owning a 264 Win Mag in Ruger M77 MKII and it shoots beautifully. It will take 120, 130, 140, 160 gr bullets all day and shoot them MOA. it is very flat shooting and oddly enough it doesn't kick like a magnum. It seems to like IMR 4831 and RL19 for powders. I would buy that Winchester rifle myself if I had the opportunity. go for it!

Default I would buy it...

If it's a good price, go for it. Those are nice rifles. My buddy has one exactly like it in .300 Win Mag. But .264 Win Mag has cool points because not everyone has one. If a .270 will kill a moose, a .264 will also. I believe it would be a GREAT caribou round. Definitely at its best handloaded, though, because you can load any type of bullet you want, and probably get quite a bit more velocity than factory rounds.

I just picked up a ruger hawkeye in 264 win, 24" barrel.Anyone have any luck getting a 140gr over 3200fps,what about 125gr-130gr to 3300 fps?

thankd