Thread: moose on Chichagof island

Default moose on Chichagof island

I just finished up a Brown bear hunt in Hoonah Sound and on the second day of the hunt saw a bull Moose on the beach. I have never heard of a moose being seen in this area and shouldn't be one within miles . Any ideas where he came from ? My guess he swam across icy straits and wandered across the Island but couldn't tell you why.
    James Phillips Sitka

Default Thanks

I was hoping you would post about that. Rumors were circulating in town.

There were two access points in my opinion. Mainland, across Admiralty, across Chatham but the northern access looked way more feasible across Icy strail from Glacier bay.

I saw a bull moose on Kuiu a few years ago in a weird place in Sept. Maybe durring the rut they just cover ground and water indescrimantly.

Thats really cool you spotted one. Thank for letting us know about it.

I remember hearing a story of some trollers who watched some orcas grab a moose swimming out in icy straits.

Bob

Haines Packing used to have alot of pictures on the wall of moose,deer and bear swiming miles from land. Every year a deer or two would swim from Sulivan island to the mainland around Mud Bay buy Haines

Default Canadian moose?...

Maybe these moose are migrating up from Canada sometimes. That's what a state biologist told me anyway.

Default Water

The interesting thing is the amount of water this moose would have crossed to get to the island. Were talking huge expansive stretches with poor conditions. The big question is why. There shouldn't be females to be found.

BTW this is a confirmed sighting. I talked to the regional Biologist last night and he watched a video of the moose.

I'd love to see photos of him.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Maybe these moose are migrating up from Canada sometimes. That's what a state biologist told me anyway.

oh great so now your saying that in a few years we will have to learn a new call?

Whaaa whaa ....... EH? and repeat... and i bet they will think thrashing is uncivilised...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The client I was with did get about seven minutes of video ,small bull thirty inches or so. Brad Dennison 's wife Minnie first saw him and I jumped in a whaler with the camera and client to get pictures. So in the last ten years we have Moose on Kuiu and Kupreanoff Islands. Elk have moved to Prince of Wales and someone told me saw a few on lower Kuiu. Things are moving a lot lately. What I didn't see in twelve days of bear hunting was a single deer.
    Jim Phillips

Default Deer

Jim....I've covered alot of ground in the early season and looked over alot of country with my glass. My impression is the deer numbers are still down. They, of course, are still there but not really thick.

Of course this is just an observation with no science. I'm just used to seeing deer scattered all over the alpine benches early morning and evening. It wasn't like that and I'd just pick out singles or pairs.

Beachwise....I've yet to see one also. Below 1,500 ft. I have seen one doe. Things are changing really quick though and they will scatter like the leaves in the wind and then the fun begins.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    oh great so now your saying that in a few years we will have to learn a new call?

Whaaa whaa ....... EH? and repeat... and i bet they will think thrashing is uncivilised...
    Maybe they are trying to sneak up and take advantage of our health care system before ours works just like Canada's
    PC gag in place.