Thread: Neck cracking

Default Neck cracking

I bought some hornady bullets for my 22-250 and shot 60 or so from my rifle. After I went though all of the brass I only got 45 brass that did not have a crack in the neck. There where factory shells. Is it common to get this many cracked necks being shot only once. I have got way more shots with my 30-06 brass and my 300 win mag. Is this a common trate of the 22-250 or is it just the hornady brass.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I bought some hornady bullets for my 22-250 and shot 60 or so from my rifle. After I went though all of the brass I only got 45 brass that did not have a crack in the neck. There where factory shells. Is it common to get this many cracked necks being shot only once. I have got way more shots with my 30-06 brass and my 300 win mag. Is this a common trate of the 22-250 or is it just the hornady brass.

Thanks
    I have had relatively few problems with Hornady brass, but it sounds like you have some cases from a lot that were poorly annealed. You can probably extend the case life on the ones that are not cracked by annealing the case necks.

Default Unlikely, but possible?

Is your 22-250 new to you? Do you have any of your purchase that are still unfired?

Is ti possible that the necks of this lot of ammunition are smaller than your chamber? Measure the outside diameter of the neck of an unfired cartridge with some micrometers, then measure the neck of a fired case from your rifle.

I don't know how much of a difference is normal, but you can see where this line of questioning is leading.

I would figure 1Cor15:19's answer is much more likely, but if that isn't it I might grasp at this straw.

I experienced (caused) case mouth cracking after running some high-pressure 38 Special reloads through my 357 Magnum. But they only started cracking after belling the case mouth in the reloading process. This experience is exactly what 1Cor15:19 is thinking, but from new factory ammunition? If the batch really is too stiff-necked (I could not resist the Old Testament pun), I might be inclined to contact Hornady to let them check their Quality Control systems.

Lost Sheep

Lost sheep