Thread: Need new ATV that tows and has ADC

Smile Need new ATV that tows and has ADC

I own a 04 H Rancher(I love it), and 06 H Rincon (680). I purchased the Rincon for pulling elk out of the mtns. The Rancher just would not quite pull a big bull. The Rincon is no better, it is geared to high, no low range, has no lugging power, in ES or Auto. It also has no EB going down hill. I need lugging power. I like the smaller ATV's cause of handling, etc. I love the Honda's and love the Rincon, except! My question....Is the new Polaris Sportsman 550(42hp) big enough or would you recomend the 850 XP(70hp). Am considering the Yamaha 700. Any imput on other brands is appreciated. I want my ATV to spin the wheels before the engine kills!
    Also would like to trade an elk hunt at my cabin, or a pheasant hunt for a moose hunt in Alaska.

Before replacing your ATV, have you considered an aftermarket clutch kit? You should be able to specify that they set it up for low-end torque rather than fast-launching and top-end speed.

After the clutching, take a look at your tires. If you can't get enough grip, it doesn't matter how much horsepower you have!

After owning several ATV's to include my Rubicon, my wife just bought a new Ranger XP LE. Went on 2 long rides with her at Petersville area and Knik and we but it to the test. I will never spend money on an ATV again. I thought the width would be a problem. The width proved to be a plus as trails with extremely deep ruts were no match. We just slipped a wheel in the rut and the other stayed outside of the rut and the ground clearance was amazing. So far the only thing that I don't like about it is trying to find an enclosed trailer with a door tall enough to fit it. I would find it hard to believe that anything on the market will out pull or have a bigger payload other than the Ranger UTV 6X6.

He doesn't have a clutch in either quad he owns, clutch kit is not an option.

Any quad with some power and adequare gearing will do what you need, my vote would go to a Grizzly,King Quad, or Arctic Cat.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the Rincon was not really designed for that work route,,, so they informed us after it came out. the 500 Rubicon is a far better machine and tranny for those heavy loads...

i would not have a belt driven 4 wheeler that was depended on to pull heavy loads in the mtns...

i am not sure if you can down clutch the hondamatic. as it is similar to an automotive tranny.

i use the 500 for many heavy tasks around the farm and mining claims. i do loose a few horse power with the 26" ITP tires and rims but it will still pull a 500lb trailer around when needed.

mine is the 04 and has the ESP on it, and full time 4x4, which is a little different then the 06 's that can switch off. i am not a fan of the 680 except for the trail riding aspect of it... and i have spent many hours recovering many of the other belted brands of ATV... i would make sure you have a mechanical shifter for mtn hauling... you will always have down shifted gears to slow you down and not rely on engine back pressure.

the brakes of the Vinson 500 when out on me this year after reaching 3700+ miles on them... 2007 model. with a shifter. i still toted out moose, bears and camps with no stopping power... my climb out of camp is over 2200 feet in 2.3 miles of trail. and back down.. gears, no brakes... all good.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince , yours must be a 03 not 04, the 04's had a 2wd/4wd selector switch. You must have an 03 Rubicon. I came from a 04 Honda Foreman to a 08 King Quad 750, and let me tell you that there is a world of difference in capability between the two. This spring while setting up the bear bait, we had to unhook the meat trailer full of dog food and grease from my buddies 05 500 Foreman and hook it to my King quad. He was simply stuck the whole time and could not haul it, I hauled it with no problem.

Ground Clearance + True 4WD makes a World of Difference!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Vince , yours must be a 03 not 04, the 04's had a 2wd/4wd selector switch. You must have an 03 Rubicon. I came from a 04 Honda Foreman to a 08 King Quad 750, and let me tell you that there is a world of difference in capability between the two. This spring while setting up the bear bait, we had to unhook the meat trailer full of dog food and grease from my buddies 05 500 Foreman and hook it to my King quad. He was simply stuck the whole time and could not haul it, I hauled it with no problem.

nope 04 the rubicon was the very last model to get the upgrade switch off 4x4 the forman and others all got it that year

I do love my susi, i get much better fuel economy then i do with the full time 4x4 of the honda and can pull much better loads. it is to bad they stopped making that modle now the new kingquad in 500 is larger then the vinson 500

but you know when it comes to mud and hauling bear supplies...

i have found 90% of the time... it is the rider
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    but you know when it comes to mud and hauling bear supplies...

i have found 90% of the time... it is the rider
    I used to say that too when I owned a Honda!..grin

Drive a big bore with IRS, Diff Lock, and some real tires and you'll find out the truth.......I did!

If I was to buy a new utility it would be a suzuki kingquad, great looks and power... can't get better then that.

Arrow Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by drherm View Post
    Am considering the Yamaha 700. Any imput on other brands is appreciated. I want my ATV to spin the wheels before the engine kills.
    Go Grizzly and you won't go back. And don't consider its power steering to be a frilly toy; it isn't.

For the best low end power, don't upgrade to larger wheels, and for the most pulling power possible toss away the stock rubber and get all luggy, like the ITP 589s. You'll be unstoppable.

Default ranger

I hooked up a large body moose with 53 inch antlers to a ranger this year and pulled the whole moose guts and all away from the cabin. pulled it no problem. the ranger is an amazing rig. Second best is the polaris 800 six wheeler. don't know why anyone would buy a four wheeler, after owning a six wheeler.

Anyone who says the ranger is to wide just never used one.

Eahlou ahulou= wider is better

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Go Grizzly and you won't go back. And don't consider its power steering to be a frilly toy; it isn't.

For the best low end power, don't upgrade to larger wheels, and for the most pulling power possible toss away the stock rubber and get all luggy, like the ITP 589s. You'll be unstoppable.

till you mount your plow eh?

meet on face book here

Default Moose Pulling

Just have to brag a bit too. Pulled a large body moose out of the alders with the Can Am 650. Pulled that moose around like a rag doll...ok, done with the cam am plug for the day...

Default Vince, Vince, Vince.... :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    till you mount your plow eh?
    Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me of the last piece of advice about ATVing that is necessary:

If you take your ATV anywhere that Vince suggests, remove the snowplow mounts from underneath first. That's a pain in the ### to do, but faster than fixing it later and having Vince poke fun at ya PUBLICLY.

...now I'm going to get asked at my local gas station if my plow is straightened out yet.... Vince yer bad

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me of the last piece of advice about ATVing that is necessary:

If you take your ATV anywhere that Vince suggests, remove the snowplow mounts from underneath first. That's a pain in the ### to do, but faster than fixing it later and having Vince poke fun at ya PUBLICLY.

...now I'm going to get asked at my local gas station if my plow is straightened out yet.... Vince yer bad

hmmm not sure what is is with all you guys blaming your busted stuff on me

you need to feel fortunate,,, my buddy ray had over 2k in repairs for his 08 Prowler 650 after this trip, starters, axels, every fender, skid plates, brakes, A-arms..... they rebuilt the entire front end of his machine....and part of the rear

granted i have my riepairs this year too...

brakes and a ball joint but then i was always breaking trail

meet on face book here

Never have had a problem with this load any time any where... Hardly know its behind me.
    Attached Images Attached Images