Thread: HB Freighter

Default HB Freighter

Here in Arctic Canada the lakes have frozen over. I mis-timed my hunt and ended up going out about 1 weeks late. No moose this time. Fortunately I stumbled across a moose three weeks ago and we have 1/2 a winters meat.

The little creeks that lead to our lakes are open and I was very pleased with my 2x4 "lift". I simply crack my motor up and wedge a 2x4 under the motor. It falls back held up at the perfect height for whipping up a shallow river. Lots of water for cooling and the propeller just under the water surface where it won't get dinged. Next year I'll put in two O bolts and bungie it on. Feel free to steel this idea.

Weather channel as usual picked a sunny day. This turned to hail and we needed to beat a retreat. I wanted to go up to Reindeer stsation but we turned back.

The kids had a little cuddy I built. Looks pretty cozy in hail. We were headed for a sheltered camping spot I know.

18 hours later waking up in the Arctic Oven Pup. A three candle candelabra kept the temperature above 0C all night. (32F) About 10 F hotter than no heat source as it went down to 22F.
    The kids call this the cozy tent. The 111B raises the temperature to 90F...easy. At -40 the gas stove brings you to shirt sleeves. Very easy to heat. Too small for a wood stove, but would get too hot anyway.

The HB Freighter ready to go( I'll clean up a bit before we get going). A fine boat. I need to put on a splash rail so I can haul butt home when it gets bad. Without it I get some spray in a wind. When I get over 15MPH it gets wet without the rail. It doesn't lose much speed with a load and actually handles better with 600+ pounds on board. At 2000 pounds it still has lots of freeboard. The 20 Honda is perfect. Lot's of power and good (really good) on gas.

I called moose the next day. The frozen lakes wreak havoc on my plan by restricting our movement. Oh well. No moose this time. The one from three weeks ago will need to keep us. As for the boat..I think more of this freighter with every year I use it. Great 9/10. It would get a 10 with the splash rail.

Great pics,I have a very similar set-up with the HB and honda 20hp.I agree they are great on fuel,and the splash rails are a big help,but the splash rails that came with my HB could be a little bigger especially in very rough water.

Question bigger = better?

I'll be adding splash rails to mine this winter; I couldn't see any downside to going bigger so I'm still asking questions. Pat at scottcanoe.com said he'd share some specs with me and I know Mainer knows a bit about this too.

But has anyone come about an inch off the hull with one?

Oh, and great pics North! Those kids must've loved that cuddy.

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    Great pics,I have a very similar set-up with the HB and honda 20hp.I agree they are great on fuel,and the splash rails are a big help,but the splash rails that came with my HB could be a little bigger especially in very rough water.
    Would you mind giving the specs of your rails? Thinking of going 14 feet by 1.75" x1.75"

The factory splash rails are 14' long,they taper at each end but at the widest section they stick out 2" from the boat and are about 1" thick.If I were to make my own I would prefer they stick out 3-4" from the boat.
    What is the heaviest load you have carried in your HB?

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    The factory splash rails are 14' long,they taper at each end but at the widest section they stick out 2" from the boat and are about 1" thick.If I were to make my own I would prefer they stick out 3-4" from the boat.
    What is the heaviest load you have carried in your HB?
    Wow...that's more than I thought. I'll go 3.25 + inches tapering gently to 1.5 inches at the ends and see how it works. I have had maybe a ton in the boat. I wouldn't want much more in it than that but I am a safety whimp. Need to load it heavy up front and keep weight from the back. I once had a leaky plug in rough rapids, I was concentrating hard on navigating and before I knew it I had 300 pounds of water in the back. With my own 250 and 150 pounds of gas and equipment and 120 pounds of motor I had 820 pounds in the back which overbalances the 250 pounds in the middle and 300 pounds up front. Powering to shore I had water coming over the transom. Slowed down it didn't. Another 200 pounds and we'd have been in trouble. You can bet I check and replace that plug whenever needed and on a regular basis. I also make sure most of the cargo is up front.

It is dificult cold bending 2" Rail material (Ash) I think you could steam bend 3" but not
    cold bend.

i

A great posting North61......and great hunting partners you have!

Awsome pics! stick around and post your trip reports (every trip) you keep taking great pics like that.......better just post em!

What is you fuel consumption per hour @ W.O.T?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Awsome pics! stick around and post your trip reports (every trip) you keep taking great pics like that.......better just post em!

What is you fuel consumption per hour @ W.O.T?
    I don't keep it wide open (no spray rails) but on a fast cruise it's a fair bit less than a gallon an hour. Went 44 KM down stream and 44Km up stream last month on 4 gallons give or take (2-3 mph current). I also made a few side trips up creeks.

Exploring streams over the past few days and getting 20K from home and then back I used maybe 2 gallons.

In the Arctic I used a 24 foot Wooden Freighter and a 35 Horse 2 Stroke. I seemed to use 3X the gas though the boat empty was over twice as heavy.

Default nice

Those are some great pictures. Looks like the kids are enjoying themselves greatly. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Those are some great pictures. Looks like the kids are enjoying themselves greatly. Thanks for sharing them with us.
    My pleasure.