Thread: Pick one SPINNER or LURER for most fresh water Fish

Default Pick one SPINNER or LURER for most fresh water Fish

OK, Pick the one best spinner or lurer (Yes you can pick two) for most salmon and trout in fresh water. I am not a fisherman, but would like to have some gear on hand for survival fishing.

Vibrax is the best lure, but lures are for sport. A gill net would be better for survival use.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

0 panther martin... if i only had ONE to have.

i have caught grayling to kings on those little guys. all in how you play it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

agreed, for survival you would want a net... lures are just too unreliable and different ones will work for different conditions and waters.

If I had to pick I would take a #3 Gamakatsu red hook, a 1 oz weight, and a shovel to dig for live bait, and a package of various colored glow yarn.

for a spinner I'd take a #3 bleeding vibrax with a purple bell, 90% if the fish I caught this summer were on that spinner, silvers, a pile o pinks and a couple Dolly Vardens while trying to get silversI actually wore out 2 of them.

then find a river with pinks... (which will bite either of those two) get a female then use the eggs to find something bigger.

The problem with the net is too many fish. This would be Survival in a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI or world depression, while living in a cabin near a river with Rainbows and Salmon. The goal would be to catch one fish every other day. Yes they could be cached in the winter, but would spoil in the summer heat.

For trout and grayling, hands down a Silver Cyclone (largest) 1.5 inches long with red dots on it! Its a killer

first off, a bronzed size 2 vibrax....small enough for trout and grayling, big enough for all salmon, and dollies love them.

the other lure id pick would probably be a bright colored krocodile, in a medium size, because its so versatile, from ice fishing to casting to jigging saltwater. ive caught nearly everything on a krocodile, from bows, lakers and burbot from shore and thru the ice, dollies, silvers, kings, lings, butts, rockfish....there a hoot to cast for dollies with out of seward or homer, never know what your gonna get.

If I had to choose one lure to fish for all species in AK it would be a silver/orange pixie spoon.

If I could have just two...
    A small, silver panther martin.
    A medium, red/white dardevle (tempted to go with a krocodile, though).

For survival situations, I agree with having some hooks, lead, line and yarn. I'd throw in some orange beads as well.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

1/4 - 3/8 oz. marabou jig.

Hands-down the most effective tool for catching Alaskan species.

After using it a ton this summer, I would have to say A Blue Vibrax Spinner, Number 6. Go Big or Go Home!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Wigston lure Tasmainian Devil in Silver bullet color

I would have to go with a panther martin spinner, a blue fox spinner, and or a pixie with those I can catch anything in Alaska fresh or salt water. Granted having a selection of sizes and colors would help!

Default Jake's....

...spin - a - lure....

it traveles forward with a big U shape which makes its unique sound in the water, which must be good, because it works.

Red and gold are the two best colors involved that I've used; not so much on the silver.