Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Remington 7600?

Default Opinions on Remington 7600?

I've been researching my options for a predator/blacktail gun and I'm wondering what ya'll think of the Remington 7600. The reasons I'm considering it: It falls within my budget, is available in .243 (My son already has a .243 - this way I can buy one set of dies and load for both) and it's pump action - allows quick follow-up shots.

I don't want a semiauto, or a bolt action. Nothing against bolts, I just want quicker follow-up shots (in case I call in more than one wolf, etc.) and would like to try something different.

Anyone here have experience with the 7600?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Rem Model Six Pump

I had a Rem Model Six pump action in .308 Win. I purchased it used but it truly looked brandnew. It is similar to a 7600 in function with the pump, nice and short for handling, etc. I didn't like it for the following reasons:
    1. It wasnt particularly accurate with 3" groups at 100yds
    2. It was finicky about what rounds/bullets it liked, some rounds were worse than 3" groups.
    3. The pump forearm did not feel stable. it rocked back and forth a bit and made noises when sitting waiting for game as I would pull it up to aim.
    4. had issues with the magazine not fitting correctly and difficult to insert.
    5. Also had issues with feeding. Rds sometimes would not feed properly, if a round had a spitzer or pointy bullet it would hang up easily and frequently.
    6. The trigger was not ideal in that it required a generous amt of pressure.

Yes, I could have had a gunsmith work all these issues, Yes, it may have turned out to be a great gun...but...I bought a lever action Marlin in .45-70 and found my follow up shots to be quicker and more accurate than what I could personally do with this pump Rem Model Six. Hope this gives you another perspective. Blessings, Chaps

I spent a good amount of money on a 7600 police chambered in 308. I thought it would be a win win situation considering the 7600 is the rifle choice of the Benoit Family (best deer trackers around). I found the rifle to be the biggest piece of junk i've ever owned. It jams frequently, the accuracy is horrible.....and i mean horrible. The bolt sometimes slips over the round and doesnt chamber, the trigger was horrible with a ton of creep. The sheet metal rails are flimsy, the internal ejection port cover is made of cheap plastic, and it is rather heavy for being a 16 inch barreled 308. I worked on the trigger and upon disassembly.....i discovered how truly cheesy this rifle really is. The plastic ejection port cover protects an uncaptured pin from falling out of the rotating bolt assembly! A thin/flimsy piece of plastic is the only thing keeping that pin in there! After shooting the 180 grainers through it at the range......the cheap plastic buttstock started cracking apart at the point where it attached to the steel receiver. I now HATE Remington.....they stole my money as far as I'm concerned.....called them up......worst customer service and attitude ever......I gave up. I can't even bring myself to sell this gun to somebody......I would feel terrible if a grizz charged them for their bou or moose and couldnt protect themselves. Or if a family tried to rely on this gun a a camp or house protection gun and it failed........

Don't know why you are holding back, if you don't like the firearm, no need to sugarcoat it. (Meant to be funny)

These are made for the serious shotgunner who uses an 870 and who wants to go deer hunting on occasion. I used to shoot one some in .270 and my experience mirrors that of previous posters. The one I shot was mediocre on the range and would occasionly fail to eject- overall it seemed pretty cheap. If it weren't for some various Eastern state laws banning semi-auto rifles for hunting I don't even think these would be made anymore. Every other manufacturer has largely abandoned the concept leaving the entire pump rifle market to Remington.

If I wanted something in .243 that was not a bolt action- I'd go with a BLR.

I've not owned the 7600, and it sounds like a good thing. I do have four of the predecessor 760's, and none have been troublesome. The 257 Roberts stays well under 2" on groups and sometimes even breaks an inch with 87 grain handloads. The 06 carbine (18" barrel) is loud and has an undersized butt, so is no fun to shoot. But it's a delight to carry. The 280 and the 308 are fine too.

But here's the funny thing. I almost never use them any more. They remind me a lot of the Remington 870, as pointed out before. They're a little rattly, but fun to use. I'd be a little worried about them in areas with lots of cold and snow, simply for the limited camming action on closing the action on a round.

My pick in a quick handling 243 would be the Savage 99F, if you can find one. They are generally about as accurate as bolts and take a scope well. The rotary mag is more reliable than a clip in my experience. I don't have one in 243, but I've got them in 250, 284, 308 and 358. I guess I should say that I used to have a 250. One shooting session with it, and my wife has taken possession. I can honestly say that I've not fired a round through it since she fired her first shot. Yet I easily load 500 rounds a year for it. She loves to shoot it and keeps it too busy for me to shoot. The BLR is a fine gun too, but I've just got the Savage 99 bug.

Wow - I'm glad I asked here before I plunked down my cash! Thanks for the reports everyone, it's nice to be able to come on here and avoid a costly blunder. I'll start looking at the BLR or a Savage 99 now.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Wink

Smart move

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default I like them!

I have two of them and like them quite a bit! Well, one is actually a 760 and the other a 7600 carbine, both are chambered in 30-06 and shoot very well, with sub 2” groups @100 yards being SOP, and 1” groups fairly routine.
    Contrary to some of the other posts, my two examples appear to be very well made with fit and finish quality that is on par with my other Remington’s, Winchesters and Marlins. Regarding the plastic port cover… it is the “improved” part, were as the older versions had a steal cover that would “jingle” about as you carried the rifle around and Remington made the change to plastic at the request of their customers. Additionally, the “pin” mentioned by a previous poster is NOT designed to be held in place by the cover, but rather are stopped from passing thru the hole in the carrier outward towards the plastic cover by having the hole edges on the carrier staked. Of course that would not prevent an ambitious do it yourself gunsmith type from pounding them all the way thru and negating the stake marks…
    Although it is a very simple and a relatively speedy job to remove the barrel from the action, very few individuals know this, and tend to clean them from the muzzle end, so used specimens should be closely examined for potential damage to the crown and muzzle that could have a negative effect on potential accuracy.
    Also, many used specimens will exhibit considerable oil and solvent staining of the butt stock due to over lubrication, and the propensity for being stored standing barrel up in a gun safe or closet.
    Trigger creep and apparent pull weight is very easily adjusted with a simple hand file and a couple of stones and takes about 30 minutes total to accomplish, with no springs needing adjusted or changed out.

Pros:
    New rifles are readily available and relatively inexpensive
    Used specimens are very affordable and plentiful, often in the <$200 range (I paid $175 & $200 respectively for mine)
    Replacement parts are inexpensive and available
    Operation is fairly strait forward and simple (see Con’s below)
    Accuracy is generally superior to most lever action rifles (sans Savage and Browning)
    Shooters that are familiar with the 870 shotgun will quickly master the 7600
    Rapid and accurate follow-on shots are easy and natural for experienced pump gun shooters
    Additional magazines may be carried for extra capacity or different loads
    Disassembly and reassembly is moderate to easy depending on your skill level.
    Most versions come equipped with open iron sights.
    All newer models are drilled and tapped for scope mounts
    If it ends up on the bottom of a lake or river, you won’t have to mortgage your house to buy a replacement
    7400 series magazines may be used (see Con’s)

Cons
    Used rifles often exhibit damaged muzzle crowns and oil stained stocks (both easily repairable)
    Used rifles often have loose barrels (contributing to the unfounded poor accuracy reputation of the arm, the loose barrel condition can be remedied and reoccurrence prevented in about 20-30 minutes)
    The “wobbly” nature of the fore arm does not provide for a very stable platform when firing from the bench
    Limited camming action of the breach bolt necessitates full length resizing with small base dies when reloading, or the use of new brass. Standard dies can be used, but considerable effort may be required to fully close the bolt.
    The pump action is noisy in comparison to bolt or lever gun actions.
    Magazine placement and fit are critical for reliable feeding. Aftermarket magazines are unreliable, and factory replacement magazines are available but expensive.
    Chamber feed ramp may need to be polished on newer models to obtain reliable feeding.
    The magazine release and bolt stop release are of similar shape, feel and design and are in very close proximity of one another resulting in unintended magazine drops (invariably into the mud or snow) by unfamiliar shooters.
    7400 series magazines may be used but they incorporate a last shot, bolt hold open feature that is a pain in the behind, when used on the 7600
    Breech end barrel cleaning techniques necessitate the removal of the barrel for proper cleaning (relatively easy, but far more time consuming than a bolt action)
    Stock triggers often exhibit considerable creep and fairly heavy pull weights (easy to remedy)
    7600 owners are frequently mocked by their unenlightened friends…

So I guess my advice to you, is to look for a good used example (Palmer gun show next weekend) in 243 or 308 (243 barrels should be easy to find on gunbroker or Gun Parts Corp, but check for yourself first) and if you can get into a decent specimen for around $200 then you should have yourself a winner! Personally, I wouldn’t pay more than $300 for one, but then again, I am a cheap a*s….
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

As a follow up post, I would have to say that I agree with BrownBear in that I would personally prefer a Savage 99 (which I do not own) or a BLR (which I used to own and wish I still had) to the 760 or 7600 if cost were not a factor. However, since in my case at least, cost is ALWAYS a factor, and that for the price of used Savage 99, or new BLR I can buy 3 used 760 or 7600’s, it makes them a viable and attractive proposition.

In my opinion the poor accuracy and unreliable reputation of the 760 or 7600’s is mostly unfounded. Make sure the barrel is properly secured and torque to the action, and that the crown hasn’t been mangled buy poor cleaning technique and you will likely have a very accurate shooter.
    Make sure you have factory magazines that are clean and undamaged, and that the feed ramp is smooth, and you will likely have a reliable shooter.

It’s pretty simple really… but apparently more effort than many folks are willing to put forth.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

accuracy problems and malfuntion problems "unfounded"?? you've got to be kidding me. I don't know what cloud you and your 7600's are on but in my world........this is the most unreliable, jammomatic, inaccurate piece of crap of a rifle I've ever seen. Come check mine out.......be sure to bring 5 diff. boxes of factory ammo.....and a 3-12 power scope.......and be amazed as I shoot groups a third of the size with my open-sighted 30-30 model 94.

Just don't be suprised when you have a jam or a failure to feed with every magazine of rounds. And yes.....the pin will fall out of IF that cheap piece of plastic shroud is not in place. That pin is not staked....I'm telling you IT IS NOT STAKED IN PLACE. I've had two of the rifles completely apart myself. My father's and mine.......how about those tiny lil locking lugs the size of a fillet knife blade.....good quality too i suppose??

Mainer_in_ak

Your experience sounds like a loose barrel or improperly shimmed barrel. I have seen them so loose that they had an 1/8th inch or more of forward and aft play, and would still fire. Feeding and extraction was very problematic, and accuracy was as horrible as you would expect.

Re-check that barrel and make sure it is tight and secure. If it is, pull it back off and see how many (if any) shims are under the barrel attachment lug. None is ok, and one is ok, but more than one, is in my experience NOT ok.

Take some 320, 400, and 600 grit paper and polish the feed ramp going into the chamber (wrap the paper around a dowel )

Re-stake the breech bolt pin hole

File and stone the hammer (see attached) taking care not to overdo it

Do all that, and I think you will be more happy with your 7600

Mainer_in_ak

I don’t have a good picture of it, but you can get a metal port cover from Gun Parts Corp that was factory installed in the 760’s and it is a drop in replacement for the plastic ones now found on the 7600’s

Regarding the locking lugs on the bolt, they are every bit as “beefy” as the ones on the Browning BLR and are plenty strong in my opinion.

The pins that I am talking about are the two pins that go into the bolt and ride in the cam slots on the rotating breech bolt face. These are not removed for normal maintenance, and should be staked. If they are not, then give them a little tap with a punch.

If you are talking about a different pin, then I don’t know what you’re talking about, and will have to go take one of mine apart again and have a look see.

I picked up one in 35 Whelen simply because of the caliber. It's amazingly accurate but the trigger was abysmal until I had it rebushed.

AKs: I don’t have any direct experience with the 7600, but a friend of mine bought one of the older versions in 270 for whitetails last year. He gave up on it about half way through the season and went back to his old gun. I think his complaints involved accuracy and a feeding problem of some kind. It may have been a problem that can be easily fixed as mentioned in some of the other posts and I am going to send him a link to this thread.

If the other two guns mentioned are in your budget, I would take a look for sure. I have used a BLR in 243, off and on since the early 80s. Good accuracy for that design, and the short barrel seems to handle 308 based rounds well ( I have a 85 gr Barnes TSX load that clocks about 3200 fps ). Handy little gun and I find myself using it more for whitetails than any other. Other than a trigger with a couple of miles of over travel, no complaints or problems and I would recommend it to anyone.

As far as the Savage, my direct experience only involves a borrowed one in 300 Savage back in the early 60s. That was a long time ago, but I don’t remember having any complaints or problems with the gun. I killed the biggest whitetail that I have ever killed with it so I guess I should not complain in any case.

Hope this is of help. Stay safe over there and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    accuracy problems and malfuntion problems "unfounded"?? you've got to be kidding me. I don't know what cloud you and your 7600's are on but in my world........this is the most unreliable, jammomatic, inaccurate piece of crap of a rifle I've ever seen. Come check mine out.......be sure to bring 5 diff. boxes of factory ammo.....and a 3-12 power scope.......and be amazed as I shoot groups a third of the size with my open-sighted 30-30 model 94.

Just don't be suprised when you have a jam or a failure to feed with every magazine of rounds. And yes.....the pin will fall out of IF that cheap piece of plastic shroud is not in place. That pin is not staked....I'm telling you IT IS NOT STAKED IN PLACE. I've had two of the rifles completely apart myself. My father's and mine.......how about those tiny lil locking lugs the size of a fillet knife blade.....good quality too i suppose??
    Well, it seems your experience with one Remington 7600 was not good but consider that there are many others that had better experiences with them. I've have never owned a 7600 but have shot a few of them with no problems. I've loaded ammo for, and test fired, about 15 of them in the past few years, (four in 35 Whelen) and no accuracy or feeding problems. I have owned a couple model 760's the older version, a 308 and a 6mm and both were very accurate rifles. That said I dislike a pump rifle with a purple passion and don't even see why anyone would carry one (sorry Alangaq) but that is a subjective opinion. I will concede that any model of any gun can have its lemons.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

No offence taken Murphy, and I didn’t mean to imply that I was some sort of super duper pump gun lover… which I am not. But I do like them. Certainly not as much as I like using my lever or bolt guns, but I do think they have their place (the used ones at least) as inexpensive, serviceable firearms, and I would take one any day over any single shot… well, except for maybe a Ruger #1, but I digress. For me, they made since because I have 3 growing boys that will someday need rifles, and I happened across each of these for less than $200 chambered for a cartridge that I really like and have all the dies and components for. Would I rather have a Savage 99 or a BLR? Hell yeah! Do I have an extra $2100 laying around to buy three new BLR’s in 30-06? Sadly….no. So for now at least, pump guns it is! They aint perfect, but they are a good honest, serviceable rifle in my opinion.

Mainer_in_ak, I can relate to your story… I have a TPOC (Taurus Piece Of Crap) that is only useful as a door stop. And that is only because it has the nifty rubber finned grips, otherwise it wouldn’t even make a good door stop… but I wouldn’t go so far as to say that its quality (or rather LACK of quality) is typical of all the guns they manufacture… although I don’t know, as I have never bought another Toreass…
    I think Murphy is correct, in that every once in a while a lemon gets thru at any manufacturer

I appreciate the continued input. Lots more to think about now. I looked into the Savage - looks like it's out of production but I found some used examples that would be decent. The BLR is on the upper end of my price range, but I saw a few used that bring it a little lower in price. I do love lever guns, too. My current favorite rife is my Marlin 1895 in .450 Marlin.

I've also been looking at a Winchester model 88, but production ceased in the 70's from what I gather, and their collector status keeps the price on the steep side. Decisions, decisions.... I suppose I could have worse problems.

Murph.......U are right about lemons showing up amongst the ranks and makes of all rifles.

Aside from the obvious reasons listed below.....I aint done

The pump forearm is so far forward that this gun makes for some of the most akward offhand shooting I've ever found in any gun. My wife split her palm open with this gun too.....because she tried to naturally hold it where it felt comfortable and caught her hand between the sharp rear cut out of the forearm and the receiver......I was very upset about that and rounded the edges a bit. If you rest any pressure on ANY 7600 magazine......it rides up into the reciever and jams the gun. The small mag lever only holds the magazine in place with spring pressure. I know because I've pointed this out to a good many guns store owner who sell 7600's. If you push up on the rear bottom of the magazine with the bolt in the rear.......ride the bolt forward.....the bolt smashed into the rear top surface of the magazine and is STOPPED DEAD IN IT'S TRACKS! Another issue is the weight of the gun. I weighed it....7.5 pounds! with a 16 inch barrel.......you've got to be kidding me!

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default I have one in 270

AKSoldier,

I have had two both model 760's in 270. The first I regretfully traded out years ago. The second I bought between our deployments. I haven't fired the second one yet, but when we get home this winter, we can go to Birchwood and you can try it out.

I traded the first one for many of the reasons listed below by others. The forearm rattled, the balance point seemed to be right behind the forestock between the stock and receiver. When I was reloading it, it could not handle the hotter reloads as well as one of my hunting buddies bolt action. Rounds loaded hot would stick in the chamber in mine and cycle out of his. But, since it was my first rifle, and I fired it alot. I found it to be very acurate for hunting purposes. But, it was never a tac driver, but it killed everything I shot at with it.

And since that was my first rifle, when I seen the second, I bought it as a repalcement for the one I traded out, kind of like a keepsake. I may or may not hunt with it in the future. There are many more capable rifles without the issues listed above.

You mentioned that you wanted to stay away from bolts for a faster follow up shot. With a light recoiling, short action round such as a 243, you can develop a fairly fast follow up shot with a bolt. Just something to think on.

Ralph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast