Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what would you do?

Default what would you do?

There are many educated boat owners in here, so I think this is the best place to find quality advice. I have recently decided to sell my ocean boat, buy a river boat and build a cabin for my family to enjoy instead. But, getting the Seasport ready for winter, I could not get it to turn over and took it to a marine mech. It turns out the motor is seized. (Oil level is good, no water contamination, and it ran fine last run?)
    So my question to a hypothetical potential buyer is, would it be better to install a new motor to sell, with a warrantee at full price, or sell it "as is" alowing the buyer to have the motor (and mechanic) of their choosing install one at a discounted price?
    I just invested about 5 grand into the nav system this year, and am not super pumped about putting a motor in it as well, but I do want to be able to sell with a clear concience and know she will have a happy and proud owner.
    What would you do?

Default Seized engine

Through my own long experience of looking at many boats for sale, I can say that I never really put much consideration into anything that needed much work to get going. There are those who might be looking for a bargain, but it seems to me that you would end up discounting her far below the value of the engine alone. Someone looking for a quality vessel expects to pay good money and something as important as the power plant would be an important part of the basic package. For what its worth, I'd bite the bullet and go for the power.

Wow! Talk about bad luck. Sounds like something that would happen to me. I think the last poster has it right though. Especailly with a Seasport. Most anyone seriously looking at one, knows what they are worth, and is ready to pay it or would not be looking. There will be those looking for a "bargin" but, most couldn't afford the Seasport for what it is worth even with a blown engine. And for those that could, are going to ask "what else did this guy not maintain ?" You are out alot of moeny either way. I would think you would be better off with a fresh motor and come across looking as a guy that cares about his stuff. Good luck either way.

Default good advice noted

I have to agree. The one thing though I would be uneasy about is paying top dollar for a boat with a new power plant would be the quality of installation, and whethor or not it was the best motor for the application, assuming a full warranty is transferable.
    This is honestly fresh thinking for me, (just got the good news) but it seemed prudent to have the vessel valued assuming it had a new motor, (all other mechanical systems certified by a licensed mech.), and discount the suggested quote for what a new motor would cost, alowing the buyer to choose for himself.
    For example it now has a 350, but if I was to keep it I would put in a small V-8 for efficiancy, but many people I've talked to seem to prefer the power over economy.
    Anyway, I'm sure a turn key sale as you mentioned would be the most benifical way to help out my wallet. It never hurts to get fresh input into a way of thinking.

Default Bad luck?

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Wow! Talk about bad luck. Sounds like something that would happen to me. .
    It's not bad luck, just the privlidge of owning a boat

I say get an estimate for the repair, and then discount the price by that amount and advertise it as is. This might actually be a good time of year for this type of sale. Someone doing it themselves can hve the winter to get it together and save themselves some money.

The other concern is that you would be guessing what the new owner woul want, and you might miss as there are more than a couple of options.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default JDO Sent you a PM

Sent you a PM

You sure its the motor and not the drive or something else??? thats keeping the engine from turning over???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default 2nd look is worth the time

There are a number of things that appear what they are not - I would definitely get another mech to take a 2nd look at it. If it turns out to actually be a siezed engine, I would do as others have suggested and get a value of the unit with a good engine and discount accordingly. Keep in mind the next owner might want to consider a small diesel replacement.
    With the advances in the small diesels now - that would be a sweet package with a Yanmar - or maybe a John Deere marine engine.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

I would get a second opinion on your motor being seized its pretty hard for one to be running perfectly fine then be parked and have the motor seize up while not being in use.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I would get a second opinion on your motor being seized its pretty hard for one to be running perfectly fine then be parked and have the motor seize up while not being in use.
    I second getting another opionion.

I say keep it and get a river boat too. I cannot imagine not being out on the salt. Pinch pennies and make it work.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

It could be unable to turn over do to water or fuel in clyinders. I would pull all plugs
    and put Marvel Mysery oil in plug holes and try to hand turn engine with a breaker bar & socket. Lots of other possibilites with a engine that ran fine and now wont turn over.
    Get a second opinion!

As others have said...pull the plugs and turn crankshaft...motors don`t seize sitting still. Get another person to look if not mechanically inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    As others have said...pull the plugs and turn crankshaft...motors don`t seize sitting still. Get another person to look if not mechanically inclined.
    Ditto!!!!!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I would give it to me let me get her running and then you could borrow her when you needed it.

Can't hurt to try Ha HA

I personally don't want to buy someone elses headache. If it runs, its easy to get checked out to make sure your getting a good deal and peace of mind that your buying really what you want. If its not running, "who really knows what your getting", unless your getting it for super cheap and don't really have anything to lose or you are a good mechanic and doing the work yourself. It could be something simple, it could be really what the person says is wrong with it and it could be a number of underlying problems. Just my opinion. I would fix it and then try to sell it.

Having some experience with volvo's I'd say your engines fine. It maybe the starter or drive. Jumping to the engine seizing without dropping the starter or pulling the plugs and cranking it over by hand sound like your mechanic is looking for winter rebuild work. also it could be in the drive. Doubtful but possible. go out by a can of Corrosion block at napa a saturate your starter with it. try pulling the plugs and baring the engine over. Don't panic. I doubt you need to re-power.

Mike

"Having some experience with volvo's I'd say your engines fine. It maybe the starter or drive."

I thought starter also, but than I am not a marine mech. That is why I always take it in to get serviced. They wont be able to work on it until monday to see why it seized, I was just told it was locked up. In my little experiance with motors a "seized" engine means rebuild or replace, so the posts below are good news to me. I would be great to have a simpler fix! Either way a second opinion may be a good idea. Peace of mind in the end is priceless.

And rase, the boat comes with a wife and 4 kids, maybe we could work out a deal

Default Hey rase

Speaking from expierience, you could have a heck of a nice boat for the "cost" of this free one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast