Thread: .223 too much for rabbits?

Default .223 too much for rabbits?

Call me crazy but I think it would be cool to shoot some rabbits with my AR-15. I wont do it however if I will be wasting the meat. I will be using fmj ammo. Do you think it will pass through them or just blow up?
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

This is a good question. Its a .22 caliber round so you would think that it would be similar to a .22, but with obviously more weight, speed, and energy. It would be interesting to see the results. I think it would punch right through, but I could be totally wrong.

Jeremiah

Its too much. There is lots of videos on the net showing what a .223 does to jackrabbits, gophers and other small game.
    Not to mention that depending on where your hunting, like in a popular, wooded hard to see area, a .223 can go along ways

Its fine,,,just shoot them in the head,why shoot them any where else with any caliber. Ive shot them with a 45-70 in the head.

Yup.. shootem in the head. IF you hit the body you'll be looking for pieces.......

I've shot them in the back of the neck with V-Max and nearly decapitated them, and I have shot them in the chest with FMJ and had nothing more than a pencil sized hole in and out.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

makes a hole... the FMJ does...

the game getter ballitic tips explode them...

kids use the 223 AND 243 all the time. makes for good practice if you can shoot a bunny in the head at 50- yards you can shoot a moose or bou in the heart at 150
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

little 223 with fmj's zip right through and even better when a coyote walks by
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default It's all in the marksmanship

I enjoy using my 204 Ruger in a blind and taking a 200 yard shot on a rabbit. I enjoy the marksmanship of a well placed shot. And a head shot at 200 is confidence builder. For bushwacking I still like my .17 HMR. But its all about a head shot!