Thread: Any good ideas for fishing big lake with a boat?

Default Any good ideas for fishing big lake with a boat?

i recently moved out to wasilla and i am looking to get to know big lake as ive never known it before...anyone else fish this lake? lures? areas? ive fished flat lake a little bit as a kid but not recently....other than that if you wanna go fishin on big lake but dont have a boat, let me know. i have a 14' 3 seater blue fin with a 25. i also ice fish and have all the equipment and a good shelter.

I fished it a couple years in a boat and numerous times. Drive a little farther it is worth the time and money.

If you ice fish, read the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I fished it a couple years in a boat and numerous times. Drive a little farther it is worth the time and money.

If you ice fish, read the regs.

big lake has some nice fish in it, where else would you suggest?

Default no boat, but from icefishing...

Start with a bathymetric map... look for structure (humps, ledges, holes).

Jig spoons (krocodiles, dardevles, little cleos, etc.) and marabou jigs.

Throw back the big char to catch another day.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Troll cowbells or a ford fender about 20-24" infront of a lure or bait (if allowed). Try to get it down a bit deeper. I'd also recommend using a large enough hook to prevent the fish from inhaling it and getting hooked deep in the throat, it can also help keep the dinks off, or help with releasing others.

I used to fish Big Lake a LOT...especially during winter. then I made the HUGE mistake of leaving Alaska but now I am back!!!! yeah Baby!

Hands down the most effective rig for rainbows during ice free time on Big Lake used to be a Walleye spinner rig with a night crawler. Second would be a 1/4 oz krockadile spoon, third would a rapala type minnow plug.

Can't say I know the regs now so my advice comes with a BIG asterisk. Check the rigs.

I used to log every fishing trip with a few on Big Lake. If the site allows reference to other sites, try www.alaskafishinglogs.com Stuff is old, but other than the regs, i doubt the fish have had time to evolve into new habits. Unfortunately the fishing regs have!

As a side note, someone help me get more motivated in fishing again!!!!!!! hahaha. My logs pretty much get worthless after I got married and had kids. Solved THAT problem, so looking for more fishing motivation! still have the kids so the style has changed a bit ( no more 12 hours on the river looking for one bite!) but want to fish!!!!!!!!!!

First post on this site! Good stuff. Been a lurker but thought I better contribute. No need to give away secret spots but always fun to see general posts about catching fish!!!!!!!!!

Default Big lake holds plenty of fish

Grew up right across the street from the lake back when the upper part of south Biglake road was gravel and the forestry station was still alive. So although my experiences are from many years ago I think what worked for me then will work for you now. If your fishing char then go kinda deep 20 to 30 ft this time of year trolling around sharp drops going shallow to deep. Inbetween islands is usually good and you will have your best luck fishing out torwards saddleback and surrounding islands. Rainbows are easy. Just find a cove and look for calm water. This time of year you should be seeing allot of surface action so you will know if your in a good spot based on what you see splashing. You just need to troll a small spoon or any lure really with hardly any weight between 5 and 10 ft deep. Ive always done well near where SouthPort Marina sits now and used to troll along the shore around the corner almost to the mouth of Fish creek. You can catch em from 10 inches to 20 plus and will provide much more action than fishing for char. Last time I fished Big Lake I was visiting about 5 yrs ago and caught this guy i posted along with a few others. Pic is kinda dark. Good Luck if you go and post how you did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default please read the regs....

Check on the use of bait cause every winter I read the police blotter where people were cited for using bait, or too many hooks. Good luck

I don't claim to know how to fish big lake but have hooked some nice fish out there over the years. I have been wanting to go out there after reading this post so I putted around the islands today on the south lake. Hooked two nice rainbows about 18-20 ins. one casting a spinner and one trolling slow. Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

went out sunday and puttered around for about 2 hours, pretty cold and rainy, but nnot much wind.....i realized i didnt have much gas when i was out there, so didnt stay long....launched at big lake north boat launch....didnt hook up but had a serious hit as i was letting out line for my downrigger....will try again maybe before ice up...going to lake louise tomorow. thanks for the tips guys...

Release Lake Trout