Thread: How to clean up bear repellent help!!

Unhappy How to clean up bear repellent help!!

My dog got my bear repellent off the window sill when I wasnt home and was chewing in it and discharged in my bedroom!!!!! Ive already thrown out the feather bead and the sheets and covers etc. Im washing all my clothes. Im shampooing the carpets just started that. Im dying in here is there anything I can do nuetrilize the stuff??!! Im miserable and already got a bloody nose and a bad cough just trying to clean up my apartment. Wich I cant even live in right now.

Wow! Looks like you have even more cleaning to do. I do have to ask, how is the dog?
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 10-02-2009 at 15:25. Reason: spelling

I found this link: ooops!

Not sure if it works. Hope the pup is ok.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and hope your dog is alright., ( that is if you did'nt kill him already)

wow that must be awful - I hope you can get it cleaned up and that you won't have to recarpet and get rid of stuff you can't wash lots...nasty stuff

dog ate it - ouch!

Default pepper

I left a can of spray hanging in my treestand this year during baiting season, about 2 weeks into the season I arrived at my stand and a bear had climbed up the tree wile I was not there and bit the can spraying pepper all over the tree and my stand. For several days everytime the wind blew it would make me caugh and choke. The peper would also start burning my back and legs through my coat and pant legs while I was sitting. Even after a few rainy nites it was still affecting me. Luckily we took a bear a few days later and I didnt have to deal with it anymore. That is nasty stuff. I would have liked to see what happened to the bear when he bit into th can though.

Default Training

I'll bet that dog never chews on your stuff again.

Unhappy the dog

I rent the apt from my ex's mom. she was dog sitting and threw him in the apt. for a few hours while she had company. She said it seemed not to bother him. I doubt that though. He is ok she washed him but he makes my eyes burn getting close to him. I just washed him again. This all happened wile I was on a succesfull moose hunt. Man that stuff is horrible.

let this be a lesson - don't forget your bear repellent when you go hunting!

(I feel really bad for you - what a mess)

Hot water and soap, thats it.

If it gets into your eyes, keep flushing with cold water.

Its nasty.
    About 10 years ago, i helped out two guys who were sprayed, from the next village over......... who the local VPSO took to squirting when they were asking around for gas late one night. He claimed they were acting "Suspicious"
    Since it was on my porch and I hadnt complained, was awake and knew them, I kick out the cop and spent almost an hour watching clear snotty mucus drain off in streams from their eyes and nose's as they flushed them as much as they could.
    From the way they writhed and gasped I figure that being on the reciving end has to suk to the Nth degree.

Yes, I sold them gas I told them where the VPSO lived, but the rest is none of my business

That stuff is NASTY.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Talking

I had a friend several years ago that had the bear spray can laying on the dash of his pickup. The hot sun made the can pressure up and leak. The insurance company paid to have the interior of the truck steam cleaned, this done no good. They then paid to have the whole interior replaced. This also did no good as you could still not ride in the truck with out coughing and your eyes running. The insurance company finally bought the truck and the junked it. Hope you have better luck with your clean up.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Default 'Crying, Over You'. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    I rent the apt from my ex's mom. she was dog sitting and threw him in the apt. for a few hours while she had company. She said it seemed not to bother him. I doubt that though. He is ok she washed him but he makes my eyes burn getting close to him. I just washed him again. This all happened wile I was on a succesfull moose hunt. Man that stuff is horrible.
    Magnum Man-

As an ER Doc we have the 'opportunity' to detox patients 'exposed' to mace (papper spray) all too often.
    You are a while out now, from initial exposure.
    If your eyes are still hurting, you might consider a (prolonged) saline eye rinse, and if still irritated, perhaps an eye exam to check for corneal irritation (eye staining), either at an ophthalmologist office (call first) or a small 'doc in the box' (again -- call first) or an emergency department (we leave the light on for you at all times!)

One other thought regarding your home, FWIW, auto dealers have very good results (in small spaces, such as auto interiors) using negative ion generators for cleaning the 'air.'
    I have no experience with room use, however.

Enjoy the moose!
    I wish you well.
    Doc

Default Well

I gutted the whole place wet vacced and washed everything made of fiber that would fit in the wash machine. The situation is now downgraded from bloody nose and crying to just a runny nose. Definatly still got to wash the dog again. Im going to try tomato juice or vineger or both on him tomarrow. Ill tell ya too it wasnt much only a squirt or two.

Default Pass (On) the Pepper, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    I gutted the whole place wet vacced and washed everything made of fiber that would fit in the wash machine. The situation is now downgraded from bloody nose and crying to just a runny nose. Definatly still got to wash the dog again. Im going to try tomato juice or vineger or both on him tomarrow. Ill tell ya too it wasnt much only a squirt or two.
    My (height challenged) Grandmother used to always respond to the saying "...good things come in small packages" with ... "and so does poison."

Doesn't take much, but sounds like you are 'peppering-down!'

Not sure of the brand you had, but all products used on the job must have a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) available to employees using it. Most stuff you buy at the store will have them available from the maker on line. This should tell you how to treat for exposure and how to clean it up. Keep us updated.

Glad your dog is OK.

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Oleo...psicum-9926319

Here you go, and like most MSDS sheets..virtually worthless
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The only difference between bear spray and the anti-personnel version used in self-defense is the OC percentage in the formula.

However, having sprayed my share of miscreants I've found that the best thing for breaking up OC is Dawn dish detergent. As for the air inside your apartment, only time and good ventilation will neutralize that particular effect. Wash everything you can and air the place out over a couple days.

Tomato juice or vinegar isn't going do anything for you or the dog. It's cayenne pepper, not skunk spray.
    Now what ?

try dishwashing soap. there are a lot of oils in the pepper spray. Something like Dawn will help cut through the oils and clean up the mess.

Magnum - if you need a hand with clean-up let me know. I'm curious about it for my own comedic purposes, but, wouldn't mind rolling up my sleeves and scrubbing away for a day or two.

There are neutralizers on the market, and vinegar is not a bad option, but, as someone said, AFTER soaking and scrubbing, you still need to ventilate to dry everything out and to clear up any lingering odors.

I'd take the dog to the groomers and offer them a really good tip if they do a good job.

The cool thing about your story though is the way the scent attches itself. Now, anyone who can't smell bears (like me) will be able to detect them sooner..... if everyone would just hose down the ones they run into that is.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-