Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose calls, What works for you?

Default Moose calls, What works for you?

I use my voice, dose'nt do much good.

I also use a gallon can with a hole in the bottom with a shoe string through it. Stuff the can with a hat, and wet the string, and pratice running your fingers lightly over the lenght. If you get good at it you can make it sound like a bull grunt or a cow call.

Everybody knows that the horns work, so this is just about your homemade moose calls.

Default homeade/field made

I have used an empty bottle of Heat with the bottom cut off. I have used bark off a birch tree shaped like funnel. I have used oars, axs, shovels, and pretty much anything that can smack the crap out of bushes and make a good woody sound.

But if i have my pick, a scapula and/or a Bull magnet

if you can find a small shed (or take a small bull in a legal area) one side of the rack works great if you are hunting the same spot year after year...a little unwieldy to haul around though.

I attached a gallon milk jug with the bottom cut out to an old piece of hockey stick - it works remarkably well for raking brush - but for serious banging around I think the stick is too light to sound right. But man raking brush sounds great (like the bull magnet) except on a stick!

I discovered the coffee can call when I cam across an abandoned stand many years ago - took me a lot of pondering and asking old timers to figure out what the heck the coffee can with the string in the stand was for!

I use my voice ...Whaa whaa whaa....and they arrive.

Moose know I seldom hunt them, so when they hear me calling, its time to watch the Moose
    Ive even had them cross the river to my side and stroll on over to the camp.
    Hard to get 'em to leave sometimes, but they do.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Cut off plastic oil container. Cheap and light.

Steve

I cup my hands and use my voice, then throw it all around not to give a specific location. Also I don't like my magnet when it comes trying to be stelth about that time it will rub on a willow branch, that sounds NOTHING like a moose,oops
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Exactly Steve - that's just like my "milk jug on a stick", but I have to say it took me a lot of thought to find the right broken hockey stick - a "branches" brand seemed appropiate when it finally broke. The hockey tape still on the shaft of the stick really helps you hold on to it in those intense brush raking sessions - control is important.But I don't have any action shots of it...have to put that on the list for next hunting season before I can market it!

I took my 3 year old out a couple times last year. He saw me using my magnet and decided to give it a try. His technique is to put it up to his mouth and yell as loud as he can, "MOOSE! COME HERE! WE WON'T SHOOT YOU!" It worked great.....we didn't shoot any.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default My experience

Moose are not that shy about coming to or answering a call. Unless they have been hunted alot. I used to hunt out on the Tanana flats where there was not a lot of hunters and the moose would answer to my voice calls and brush thrashing with a stick. I have hunted other much more crowded areas ie. Big su, using the same technique and the moose would come through camp at night or sneak in us down wind during last light and we would only hear them leaving the area, they would not talk to us. My small experience (15 yrs) tells me the moose you were trying to call to were over hunted or were not there. Not that your technique was bad.

I have a two brow tine shed that i made a sling for, it hangs around my hp and thats the noise you hear when i walk thru the brush.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have my voice and a bone and a action packer lid and and axe and what ever makes a racket...

i DO NOT like the magnet for thrashing... just dont do it for me on brush...

but i found that by scraping the rocks and gravle bars it does great ... i will pick up a soft ball sized rock and rub it on the magnet... much better much better.. now they come from a few miles to see...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I definitly agree with what has been said, i think the magnet is too loud and artificial sounding in the brush.

Default Why use anything else???????

The bull magnet works. Why try anything else?

This old boy came in on a string in 15 minutes from a mile away; this year. A couple sweet cow calls from my "LOVE HORN" was to much for this guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Bull Magnet

We took one with it. I got some awesome video of one coming in on a string. I was calling from up high and you can see the whole thing. To bad we can't post video.

Louis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default You Tube

Oist your video there, and the link to it here! That would be cool!

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    To bad we can't post video.

Louis
    You can. Upload it to Youtube, then put the Youtube code in here surrounded by [youtube] tags. It'll show up as an in-line full frame video.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I use my voice, dose'nt do much good.

I also use a gallon can with a hole in the bottom with a shoe string through it. Stuff the can with a hat, and wet the string, and pratice running your fingers lightly over the lenght. If you get good at it you can make it sound like a bull grunt or a cow call.

Everybody knows that the horns work, so this is just about your homemade moose calls.
    All depends. For example, this year moose didn't respond to my grunts no matter how many times I called. But they did respond to my raking of branches with a moose's shoulder blade. Sometimes I call them with grunts at the beginning of the season, all the way though the end, but not this year.

I use my hands cupped over my mouth with fingers in my nose. I used to carry a bull magnet but I heard someone else banging one on a tree and it sounded like a kool-aid pitcher being beat on a tree. Now if I need to make a rake sound I just find a stick. Usually I just use cow calls in early rut. Called this one in 500 yds with 95 percent cow calls.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=64003
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Three old stand-bys

Moose shoulder blade, small coffee can with shoe lace, and some rolled birch bark.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    All depends. For example, this year moose didn't respond to my grunts no matter how many times I called. But they did respond to my raking of branches with a moose's shoulder blade. Sometimes I call them with grunts at the beginning of the season, all the way though the end, but not this year.

this was a wierd year wasn't it....?????

it was so hot for so much of the season the bulls acted differently then the norm. that last weeks frost was a blessing, i sure got tired of ALPINE moose hunting every day
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast