Thread: Fishing Alaska?

Default Fishing Alaska?

Nope, not a tourist.

I'll 15 years old and right low living in south east Florida. How ever my dad's probably gonna get a job at a collage. I love bass fishing here in Florida now, and a pretty **** good at it! And if we do move to there, than I'm gonna keep on fishing of course! But of course, fishing for salmon, pike, trout, grayling and... what ever else y'all go up there!

I'd like to know what kind of stuff I'm gonna need to fish for what. So give we some basics about what to use for your favorite spices. Also what kind of tackle am I gonna need? Are my bass bait casters gonna be ok for trout and salmon, when fishing in lake and rivers that is.... I've got a 7' rod, a 6'6", and gonna get a new 6'10" rod. I've got all low profile bait casters.
    I'd like to get an Abu Garcia Ambassador, for fishing in salt water and heavier stuff. What lb line should I put on that, 25lb mono or flouro good?

Anyways, what kind of tackle (rods and reel, line), am I gonna need for fishing salmon, pike, grayling, trout and the like, in fresh water. And in salt water, what kinda tackle? Also what lures, and rigs (sinker, leaders, hooks) am I gonna need?

Thanks guys!

Hello there Florida,

Like you, I'm going to be a rookie at fishing in Alaska soon.

You've asked a bunch of good questions, and there's a lot of good answers to be had here. Along with a big bunch of folks who are generous with their advise.

One suggestion I might offer you is to spend a bit of time reading through the past fishing posts. They're really informative and I'll guarantee your excitement level about the prospects of Alaska fishing will really get pumped up by their contents. And many of your general questions will be answered too. You'll get a lot of info by using the search function too.

Once you've had a chance to read through what's already been posted there's a good chance that you'll have more specific questions. Those are the kind folks here seem to chime in on more often.

The bookstore here has some great reading that can help bigtime too.

Hang on and enjoy the ride.

- Jay

well............. for salmon it depends where you are moving to. are you going to be fishing ocean or river, from the bank or a boat? bring all your rods up and try them and buy more rods as you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by bentfin View Post
    well............. for salmon it depends where you are moving to. are you going to be fishing ocean or river, from the bank or a boat? bring all your rods up and try them and buy more rods as you need them.
    Moving around Anchorage. No boat, so I'm gonna be fro shore. I'd like to fish all three, lakes, rivers, and Ocean.

Hey Florida,

here is a post I wrote last year to try and help out first time visitors.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=29556