Thread: .35 WHELEN and factory loads

Default .35 WHELEN and factory loads

OK, A buddy of mine gave me me a .35 whelen with a 26 " barrel this week. It is right handed and he is lefty so it wasn't doing him any good just sitting in the closet. Now I'm not into hand loading but I'm asking for opinions on a good all around factory load? Has anyone found a decent round for an average of 150 to 200 yard range? I'll be looking at moose/Black bear and bou. When I shot an 30-06, I found the 165 grain pretty satisfactory in killing power. So what about the .35? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    OK, A buddy of mine gave me me a .35 whelen with a 26 " barrel this week. It is right handed and he is lefty so it wasn't doing him any good just sitting in the closet. Now I'm not into hand loading but I'm asking for opinions on a good all around factory load? Has anyone found a decent round for an average of 150 to 200 yard range? I'll be looking at moose/Black bear and bou. When I shot an 30-06, I found the 165 grain pretty satisfactory in killing power. So what about the .35? Thanks in advance
    Never fired a factory cartridge in my Whelen, but Double Tap & Nosler load the 225 Accubond. That is a very good bullet in the Whelen for most game up to moose. Nosler loads their Partitions in 225 & 250 and Federal loads the 225 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and all of which should be great rounds for any game in NA. Remington's 250 grain loading uses a good bullet for the Whelen, but it is underloaded by more than 150 fps. Not that the difference in velocity really matters, but I would shoot 250 grain bullets at 2550-2600 fps for best performance. Stay away from the 200 grain cup & core bullets for anything larger than deer, they will not give consistent penetration in the larger critters. I love the Whelen. It provides ample killing effectiveness with very tolerable recoil; it is a very practical cartridge IMO.

Federal Premium,Nosler and Double Tap come to mind.All have good loads with good bullets in the 225/250 grain range that will do all you want +.
    Very good friend indeed.