Thread: Desk Building?

Default Desk Building?

I'm building a desk for my wife as a Christmas present but need some help. I'm not sure of the best way to attach the top to the sides. I would rather not run screws the top. I was thinking of using biscuits and glue, but not sure how sturdy that will be. The desk will have a hutch that she wants removable so again not sure how to attach that and be strong enough. Any ideas? Might use some angle brackets but not sure. Oh I am making it out of 3/4" pine veneer boards.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

I would use the biscuits and glue in conjunction with the angle brackets; this will be easy and plenty strong. For the hutch I'd use dowels for alignment and threaded inserts to attach to the desk. Run the inserts into the bottom of the hutch with some Liquid Nails to keep from coming loose, and run the knockdown bolts up through the desktop. All this can be got at Home Depot. Good luck, and keep your glue warm!

Thanks for the info. I like that idea for the hutch. That should work perfectly.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

methods for attaching the top would depend on the design of the desk. Is the side panel part of a drawer case? If so, screws through cletes on the inside of the base cabinet would attach the top. Do you have a plan or sketch?