Thread: Thinking about a hunting dog

Default Thinking about a hunting dog

hi everyone

my husband and i are looking into getting a gun dog. Any sugetions on breed or breeder. Both of us hunt but never had a dog to hunt with, we are looking for a dog for the family and thought this would be a good time to get a dog that we can train for hunting also.

I don't have nearly as much information as a lot of people on here because I'm just starting out with the dog thing as well, but........

What type of hunting do you guys do?

How active is your family life?

Kids? Ages?

Any other pets?

Live in a condo or on a farm?

Budget?

These are just a few questions that will narrow down the search a little. There are a lot of great gun dog breeds out there, and this decision is almost as hard as figuring out what to feed a dog.

Jeremiah

You can't go wrong with a lab. Excellent family dog, great in the field. Everyone has their opinion, usually based on what they own.

"For the 18th consecutive year, the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in America, according to 2008 registration statistics released today by the American Kennel ClubŪ (AKC)" from the AKC web site.

And me? Oh yeah, labs.

Default search the threads here...

Several threads here on this subject...one is pretty recent.
    Jeramiahak had some good questions, however I would throw the budget question out. The budget is going to be about the same for any dog. If you want a quality breeder, the price you pay for the pup is little compared to what you will spend in the life of the dog, and worth it. The love and enjoyment you get from the dog is priceless.

there is however the difference in cost between a pup and a started or trained dog. Started or trained is obviously going to be much greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Several threads here on this subject...one is pretty recent.
    Jeramiahak had some good questions, however I would throw the budget question out. The budget is going to be about the same for any dog. If you want a quality breeder, the price you pay for the pup is little compared to what you will spend in the life of the dog, and worth it. The love and enjoyment you get from the dog is priceless.

there is however the difference in cost between a pup and a started or trained dog. Started or trained is obviously going to be much greater.

I don't know if I'd necessarily throw that question out. There are some big differences between quality dogs, just depends on what kennels you look at. I think it's a completely realistic question - how much do you want to spend on a dog. However, I would find breeders/litters that you're interested in, first, and worry about price last.

The budget question is a bit deceiving, because even if you get a dog for free it will still be very expensive. In my limited time as a dog owner (approx 30 hrs) I've learned that owning a dog takes a serious financial commitment. The good news is its very worth it.

For all I know the OP is a millionaire, but I included this question in my quick little list because it is usually addressed in all of the thread's I've read through.

Jeremiah