Thread: any ATEC owners or users here?

Default any ATEC owners or users here?

I am looking at their boats, possibly their landing craft model. I was in Anchorage recently and took a look at a Steelhead model at Marita Ski & Sea. ATEC seems to do some good work.

I've got a remote cabin and looking at a simple...relatively inexpensive 18-22' landingcraft.

Anyone seen one, been on one, suggest others (Munsons are great but $$$). SilverStreaks are cool as well but $$ also.

Likes or dislikes of ATEC?

Sobie2
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have many dislikes of ATEC, but won't publicly voice most of them. I will tell you that I was present in a chase boat (of a different manufacture) for a Cook Inlet crossing of one of his first landing craft and I was totally unimpressed with the landing craft's performance. But to be fair, these landing craft are NOT Cook Inlet worthy boats. I'm sure they would work just fine for running smaller bodies of water.

In short, their welding is generally good. Their fitting is generally acceptable. Their designs are generally lacking. There service is often poor.

One of the telling signs in my mind is when a guy buys an ATEC boat and before he even puts it in the water, he takes it to another boat builder to have things changed and repaired. I've seen that happen a couple times now and the frustrated guys needing to have their brand new ATEC boats fixed have not been very happy with the customer service over there.

I'm sure you'll hear many happy stories from ATEC boat owners. It just depends on what you expect your boat to do. The basic ATEC hulls are decent. I've not seen the same from the landing craft, but then I haven't seen how they may have altered/updated the hull design in the last several years. They may have worked many of the bugs out as they made more of them. Any good boat builder improves as he goes along.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Atec

I've had very poor service from ATEC.

Default Bay Weld

If your shopping
    http://www.bayweldboats.com

Default I have a 22'atec skiff its a tank

I take it haibut fishing all summer and took it up the yukon.It is a great boat.I burned 30 gallons in 140 miles with about 3000lbs onboard.I heard problems of the newer ones but thus was built in 1988.I can turn it into a landing craft for about 3k..message I might know where one is for sale

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I have many dislikes of ATEC, but won't publicly voice most of them. I will tell you that I was present in a chase boat (of a different manufacture) for a Cook Inlet crossing of one of his first landing craft and I was totally unimpressed with the landing craft's performance. But to be fair, these landing craft are NOT Cook Inlet worthy boats. I'm sure they would work just fine for running smaller bodies of water.

In short, their welding is generally good. Their fitting is generally acceptable. Their designs are generally lacking. There service is often poor.

One of the telling signs in my mind is when a guy buys an ATEC boat and before he even puts it in the water, he takes it to another boat builder to have things changed and repaired. I've seen that happen a couple times now and the frustrated guys needing to have their brand new ATEC boats fixed have not been very happy with the customer service over there.

I'm sure you'll hear many happy stories from ATEC boat owners. It just depends on what you expect your boat to do. The basic ATEC hulls are decent. I've not seen the same from the landing craft, but then I haven't seen how they may have altered/updated the hull design in the last several years. They may have worked many of the bugs out as they made more of them. Any good boat builder improves as he goes along.
    I'm with you on this. Don't want to type all the issues I have with ATEC. Good luck and just know your on your own fixing any issues.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Thumbs up Top quality!

Sobie2

I have owned a few ATEC built boats along with many others. They are a very high quality product and the folks there are very knowledgable and helpfull to ensure my needs were met every time!
    It makes me wonder honestly what these other two are talking about, or if they have ever owned an ATEC or have done business there?

Good luck in your search, I sleep well at night with an ATEC in my yard!

Sobie2,

I respect the fact that you are doing your homework when shopping for a new boat. I don't appreciate the comments made by Joat and then echoed by Alaskanssin. It also makes me wonder if they are, or ever have been direct customers or owned any ATEC products. Some of the comments just don't make sense. Like taking a new boat to another builder to "Fix" it before it has even been in the water.
    I think short of Silverstreak, ATEC has been around longer than any other builder in the state. They have built boats into the hundreds as well as nearly 1,000 snowmachine trailers. One would think that by producing that many products for that many people over a time period of 25 years, that something must be pretty good. I accept the fact that out of hundreds of products, and with a wide variety of end users, not evreyone can be completely satisfied. It seems that these two are probably in that group, but I don't feel they represent the common opinion. I don't know who they are or recognize their situation but I do know that ATEC does their best to stand behind there products as well as any other builder would with proper product design and use. You let me know if you would like 100 other references. And if these two have a complaint about their ATEC products, Bring it to my attention, I am the founder and owner.
    Sincerely
    Steve Attleson

Default No "bashing" here!

No, I'm not an ATEC owner and never proclaimed to be one. I've just worked on a few of them and talked with many owners. My posted OPINION on a product is just that... my personal opinion. Good luck finding any product ever built or company ever in business that doesn't have both positive and negative opinions from all the "folks" out there. Character attacks by PM won't change my opinion either, in fact they tend to push it the other direction (but I'll overlook that for the rest of this post).

This thread is over 2 months old. Plenty of time for all the ATEC owners to give their positive testimonials. No one is stopping them from posting their opinions. Why the silence from everyone? If you're an ATEC owner, then post your comments and answer the OP's question. This is the reason why this forum exists!

To expand my opinion a bit (not that I need to, but just trying to stay fair and balanced), I do feel that ATEC puts out some pretty good products. The trailers are good. The snowmachine sleds are very nice. Most of the river boats I've seen are very well done. I like the jet hulls that I've seen. I'd certainly put ATEC within the top handful of Alaskan boat builders in an "overall" evaluation. The "mass-u-facturers" down south (Klamath, Alumaweld, etc) don't hold a candle to ATEC products.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I'm a two time ATEC customer for products other than boats. While I can't comment on their hull performance I'm happy to recommend them based upon excellent work, good customer service, on-time delivery, and a fair price. I don't impress easily but ATEC has been a pleasure to deal with.

Thumbs up Atec

I too am a very satisfied ATEC owner. I bought my 1660 Hydrolite about 7 years ago from Anchorage Yamaha and have had ZERO problems with the sled, and we use it hard!

I have meet Steve on several occasions and talked about my next ATEC boat. Dollar for dollar I can not think of a Tougher overbuilt river sled for the money that performs the way mine does.

I for one hope that Steve and ATEC keep making quality Alaskan products for a long time.

Tom Vitt
    Stephan Lake, Ak

Thumbs down

I had them build a 4-wheeler trailer. They were very late on delivery by about three months. The box was fine but the axels folded up the first trip hunting. After inspecting, I saw the welding was so poor it was beyond words. They must have had a two year old working because it looked like bird sh&%! The weld beads ran all over the place (drifting away from the joining metal to nowhere) with little penatration. The box steel used for the floating axel was way too thin. I paid 2k for a rush job that I ordered 6 months before hunting season. I was left to drive to Delta Junction and pay a welder another 500 to rip everything out from underneath and build it back right just so I could complete my hunt. After calling ATEC repeated times all I got was static. You got me once but I promise you'll never get me AGAIN! And I will tell everyone my story because I PAID for that right!

P.S. I kept one of the axels just to show anyone who doubts.....

Quote Originally Posted by ATECBOATS View Post
    Sobie2,

I respect the fact that you are doing your homework when shopping for a new boat. I don't appreciate the comments made by Joat and then echoed by Alaskanssin. It also makes me wonder if they are, or ever have been direct customers or owned any ATEC products. Some of the comments just don't make sense. Like taking a new boat to another builder to "Fix" it before it has even been in the water.
    I think short of Silverstreak, ATEC has been around longer than any other builder in the state. They have built boats into the hundreds as well as nearly 1,000 snowmachine trailers. One would think that by producing that many products for that many people over a time period of 25 years, that something must be pretty good. I accept the fact that out of hundreds of products, and with a wide variety of end users, not evreyone can be completely satisfied. It seems that these two are probably in that group, but I don't feel they represent the common opinion. I don't know who they are or recognize their situation but I do know that ATEC does their best to stand behind there products as well as any other builder would with proper product design and use. You let me know if you would like 100 other references. And if these two have a complaint about their ATEC products, Bring it to my attention, I am the founder and owner.
    Sincerely
    Steve Attleson
    Feel free to reimburse me for the joke of a product you sold.

Please make sure you post facts and just don't bash, or the thread will disappear as it has in the past when people post their opinions on other local boat manufactures. It is nice to have both the good and bad opinions in the archive when making decisions in the future.

Seems like there is a good mixture of positive and negative at this point.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I have never owned an Atec boat, but know many who do. I have used them in the past for boat repairs, as well as other projects. Their customer service is not always legendary. As with most local boat and outboard shops, it really matters who you talk to and when you hit them up. Don't expect to go in there in July and get what you want when you want it. In the off season I have always had good luck. As for the quality of their product, it has varied over the years. I suspect that it has to do with quality of help at any given time. I'm sure that it varies from year to year, but he has a lot of quality, hell-for-stout boats out there, and has been in business for a long time. Dude man builds some real nice boats.