Thread: Ptarmigan near Fairbanks

Default Ptarmigan near Fairbanks

Hello all,

This is a great place, I've enjoyed all of the posts and helpful advice. Now I'm looking for some advice of my own. Anyone have some general places to look for ptarmigan near Fairbanks? I'm not looking for any secret spots or anything, but am fairly new to the area and looking for a day out with at least the chance of a couple of birds. Thanks!

Ive almost never been dissapointed with the elliot hwy. If you go up to Livengood(about 76miles north of FBKS) turn left just past the town sign and as soon as you get a out of the forest and where it opens up look out. In the forest prior to the open flats I normally find grouse and occasionally some ptarmies are found over there. If you go now obviously you wont be able to use a snowmachine but in the winter I sit on a point and look out to see flocks flying around and then head out after. I have seen them this time of year but were not hunting them. I have also heard the murphy dome area is good but gets crowded. Ive talked to some people and they said they were in the city last year. Maybe they will return and you wont have to go so far for good ptarmy action. Good luck.

Default Good info and...

The other reply was good info. Also try any of the high points arond town (meaning within say a 30 mile radius) Anywhere there is high country with little to no trees you can be in business. Last winter they were all over town. Especially around the rivers, sloughs and lakes. As wintersets in, keep your eyes out.

If you have a snowmachine, going to Murphy dome and launching from there can be a fun day headed toward Minto Flats. Upper Chena Hot Springs Road too. Later winter out in the Tanan Falts can be good as well.

Bottom line is get out and about.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to head up to Livengood Monday and check it out. Hopefully it isn't snowing too hard.