Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bishop Hunt in Fairbanks new minor

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Bishop Hunt in Fairbanks new minor

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2009/o...and-gathering/

Read this article while awaiting my turn in the barber chair this morning and thought what a well written account...

but i have a question to pose, as the act in it's self goes against every bone in my being.

after harvesting their moose they were able to recover Half, and returned the next morning to finish the job........
    The work
    The next week was hard work. I told a friend that shooting a moose is like having a cow land in your boat while camping. We were able to gut and skin the top part of the moose the first evening. We returned the next day and finished the job

My question is HOW MANY would do this? i personally have lost one moose to a bear and spent years chastising my self for the waste of that animal. ( especially since i did not get the bear)

I do not fault a person for this as long as it is harvested and well cared for, but as in our hunt we worked well into the midnight hour pulling both moose out of the swamps and getting the meat pulled to camp to cool and be protected.

I open it for discussion for the sole reason of inquiry and experiance...

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Im just saying....why shoot the animal late in the afternoon If your not going to haul it all out in one shot.....save for taking half back to camp and coming back for the rest.Funny you mention that as I always asked myself why'd anyone want to leave any meat behind and come back later for the rest "after getting some sleep" wow!

Personally...I'd take the entire animal out I can always get caught up on sleep later.

Default depends

I am with you, complete it right then and there, however some times darkness, fatigue, and personal safety come into play. Last year I did a winter bou hunt and had to leave it and come back in the morning to finish processing due to mild hypothermia. I HAD to start walking and get into my bag for warmth. Meat was fine and I was safe. I did not like the decision I made, but had no choice. That was the only time I have done that and will always try to finish it right then and there......BUT you never know?

this could go either way. prob not smart to shoot one 1/2 mile from the boat in the evening. prob not smart to leave it overnight as visitation by bears is highly probable. on the other hand if its cold enough the meat can be left overnight safely. hauling meat in the dark could pose a safety hazard especially through swamp water where your light wont see to the bottom. lots of variables and choices the hunter has to make. would i shoot a moose in the evening...you bet...would i stay out all night and maybe until the next morning without sleep getting it ALL out...you bet.

Default Nothing wrong at all

I leave moose gutted and skinned quite often, did it this year to one of the four moose we got. never lost one in 42 years of moose hunting. The moose always move late afternoon early evening.I shoot a lot right at dark, no big deal.

I have left three over the years in small ponds, shot them right at dark, just gutted them left the hide on with the moose in 30 inches of water, those were three of the best moose I ever ate, the meat was ice cold in the morning.

I've never done this with a moose, but did do it with a caribou years ago. Already was working on a black bear when the nicest bull I've ever shot walked right up on me. I shot him, gutted him, propped him open to let the heat out, and split the shoulders to let heat escape there as well. Finished the bear and packed it back to camp that night (I was on a walk-in hunt). Next day went back and finished quartering up the caribou and packed it out. Never thought twice about it, but packing the both of them from camp all the way out to my truck cured me of shooting multiple animals in one day when I'm on foot several miles from the road.....at least until next time.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

In fifty plus years - 75 plus moose - can't remember but a couple when the "job" got done one day. Have never lost one to a bear - but did have a couple of "discussions" as to whether the moose belonged to us or a bear.
    We ALWAYS won.
    Far more concerned about returning than trying to get the "job" done in one evening.
    Sure looked like they were doing a good job. Half mile? I'd consider it a gift!
    Joe (Ak)

GREAT question Vince!

We get all the game shot and hung up in trees before we even think about trapsing around the countryside gathering it all up. Usually spend the last couple/three days getting the meat to the base camp.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Talking Couple Scenarios

Here are a couple scenarios I had from this moose season. First moose, shot late in the evening, right before dark. One shot was all I could get in him, before he hit the alders. Was a good shot, maybe a touch back. Moose bedded down just inside the alders, as we were losing light fast. Moose was hurting bad, but continued thrashing around in the alders for 25 to 30 minutes. Me and pardner contemplated whether we should sneak in for a finisher, but risk pushing him deeper into the swamp, somewhere we did not want him to go. Decided best bet was to let him expire, rather than risk pushing him. It was a sleepless night, but a good decision. First light, walked down, there he was. Pulled him out with wheelers, and got the job done. Moose was fine.

Second scenario a little more applicable to Vince's question. Same situation, two weeks later. Pardner shoots a moose from the same tree (camp) that I shot my moose from. Moose tipped over 20 yards from first gutpile, two weeks prior. We have about an hour of usable light left. Started the job. Got two quarters, the head and cape off before dark. Prepared to continue with headlamps and what not, but due to safety concerns, we decided best to finish in the morning. We wrapped the moose in a tarp, and enjoyed another sleepless night. Safety concerns include the fact this particular little area is loaded with bears, of all variety. Decided best not to risk a gunfight in the dark, although pretty confident moose would be ok till the morning. From watching the first gutpile, it took more than three days for a bear to indulge himself from the time the moose was killed, so we were pretty confident that a bear would not get on it, and it would be fine, as it was.

I can understand your concerns with leaving an animal over night, but I think every circumstance is unique, and should be judged by the particular variables of that circumstance. Not really any point I am trying to make, other than the fact, that moose sure did taste good tonight!!!

I have done this with a moose in 05, shot late in day solo hunt. Took 1 side off gutted & returned the next morning with a fresh outlook & all went well. I would do it again with the right conditions.

I have left moose and caribou over night after gutting them and propping the cavity open to allow good cooling and never had a problem. Yeah did worry about bears though but just got up at first light and started moving. Wouldn't think twice about it unless there was a bear standing there before or after I shot the animal.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Done it lots of times.

Did have one that I had quarterd and left half of him over night, and went back to only find one piece there. Let out a roar and started following the drag marks and found it about 100 feet in the trees. A few bite marks but that was it. I think he heard me and did'nt want none of that.

From now on I leave it in as big of piece as possibable til I can return.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Nothing wrong with it at all. Done it lots of times.

Did have one that I had quarterd and left half of him over night, and went back to only find one piece there. Let out a roar and started following the drag marks and found it about 100 feet in the trees. A few bite marks but that was it. I think he heard me and did'nt want none of that.

From now on I leave it in as big of piece as possibable til I can return.

The one i lost was shot very near dark, my hunting buddy spooked it up with his wheeler and it ran ... we looked for a few yards but backed out until the am..This MOOSE WAS DOWN....first light i found the 6 inch deep pool of blood and followed it through the mtn alder and willow for nearly a mile only to find where the bear had drug off the entire moose up over the ridge and into the deepest brush you couldn't think of seeing through. this was at least a 45 inch bull during a Tier II hunt in 13.... early in the season and still fresh and fat...

i have camped on,and lit fires around my kills over the years,

i can't, wont, leave one behind.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My hunting partners and I have left moose in the field overnight in thick bear country and have never had a problem. On each, we pull the guts, propped them open and come back in the morning ready for a full day of packing. Meat always turned out great.

Besides, moving the meat back to camp isn't going to eliminate the potential for bears, just reduce it a bit. We like to keep the meat a little ways from camp anyway so it's just as bear accessible.

Left half a caribou in the field overnight this year. Didn't have any problems. Packed out the remainder in the morning.

Default overnight moose

In over 30 years of hunting, mainly by boat, I can't think of a single night time shot moose that we carried out that night. All the moose taken in 20B FMA or 20A winter hunts we do use equipment to take out that night.
    In well over 30 moose, only 3 have been hit by bears by morning. Of all those moose, about the same have been hit once quartered and hung on a meat pole.
    We do not hang meat next to camp. About the closest will be across the river, but normally we separate camp from the meat.
    This year 3 of 4 moose taken were night moose. All 3 were fine, and this in an area with solid grizzly and black bear populations. I don't see that the moose is any more at risk laying there than hanging.
    We did have an issue when a moose was shot late, and had to be tracked the next morning. The bull was recovered, but because we had other moose already to deal with, the guys thought it would be ok to only field dress it. In hindsight, that bull should have taken priority, been quartered and hung right there. Some meat spoiled, but we saved most.

Default good thread

Great idea for a disscussion Vince. I enjoyed the article. I think that while most of us enjoy and love your input I think that you might be a little off base on this one. While each situation is certainly different, I think that the general concencious is that comming back in the morning is a common thing and that there is nothing wrong with it depending on the situation. While I am sure that you are a true sportsman and a very ethical hunter, I think that your one bad experience has caused you to place a undue burden on yourself.

Default Not the end of the world

What's the worse case scenario, A bear gets a free meal and I get to shoot another moose. It's not the first moose ever eaten by a bear,and it's not the last moose I'll ever kill. I know your not supposed to shoot another moose, But who's going to tell.

It's common to lose deer to bears on Kodiak, wether there in camp hanging or in the process of being skinned out. I would never leave a deer overnight on Kodiak because there is a 100% chance it will be gone in the morning.

Default I've done it plenty of times

It just is the way it is, shoot a moose in the evening before sundown and you often can't deal with the whole thing. I typically do one half similar to what Sam described in the article, cover with tarp or hide so it still gets air but so ravens and other birds can't get to it, return in the morn. Never lost one to bears overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Great idea for a disscussion Vince. I enjoyed the article. I think that while most of us enjoy and love your input I think that you might be a little off base on this one. While each situation is certainly different, I think that the general concencious is that comming back in the morning is a common thing and that there is nothing wrong with it depending on the situation. While I am sure that you are a true sportsman and a very ethical hunter, I think that your one bad experience has caused you to place a undue burden on yourself.

LOL Not that i am off BASE or trying to be , it is just a curiosity look at how others do it. as i stated in the OP. having lost a moose it goes against my very being though i do not fault others for doing so.

i read all the time deer are left over night and recovered in the morning, especially archery deer etc.

as i said open for discussion for curiosity only

Thanks

meet on face book here

I don't mind working on a moose in the dark (always carry lights and extra batteries - coleman lantern if I have the capability) and as vince said - well into the midnight hour...and later

I do think that it is quite a bit different on wheelers - once you get the moose bagged up you can still get it back to camp that same night.

but if you have a significant pack out that's admitedly lots tougher to do in the dark - especially if multiple trips are involved. (and more dangerous - easier to lose the trail, break an ankle, etc...not so much bears IMHO)

As long as it's gutted so it can cool I see absolutely no problem with it - if it's what the situation demands. However if I had to leave one overnight I've always said I would try to get it done and the meat hung high (assuming timber) or cached so air can circulate and meat can cool. Also by removing meat even a little ways from the gut pile I would be hoping that the marauding critters would go for the gut pile and carcass instead of the meat - out of my control of course, but hoping nonetheless. The comment earlier about leaving as big a piece as possible is interesting food for thought.

Now to what I think is not ok - I've heard a few accounts each year about moose shot near dark and the person leaves it till morning (either because it was dark or because it was lost). What's wrong with these is the person states they gutted the moose the next day. If it were me I would never leave an animal overnight with the guts in - if the animal was lost I would track all night (or in one of the cases above - wait for enough time for the animal to expire and then go in and gut it in the dark) - just never know what's going to happen when you go back to camp for the night. Could rain or snow and wipe the trail out - could die right away and stew all night spoiling meat - etc.

I know of one of these cases this year that processors refused to take the meat. I just can't imagine leaving an entire moose to stew overnight in that giant moose-shaped-crockpot...find him and at least get the guts out so some cooling can occur. It's all about meat care and not letting the animal go to waste. Like Vince I would be beating myself up for a lost animal (either because it wandered off, was dragged off, or spoiled because I went back to camp last night instead of dressing the animal). Plus it's amazing what a big roaring fire can do for acute cases of 'nighttime bear paranoia'

good discussion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast