Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SFH Attacks ADF&G

Default SFH Attacks ADF&G

It seems SFH has grown tired of democracy in America and now is demanding Denby Lloyd assume a strict dictatorship of the ADF&G.

In his and SFH/SFW/Don Peays world view science belongs in universities - not in hands of wildlife managers. Lock and load and do as your told. There can be no opinions other than enthusiastic praise. And if you let the public see the killing first hand you are the devil "anti" of all time. From now on you will say - yes sir, please may I have another sir, or suffer the punishment.

It seems Corri Rossi's SFW article with the "Snuff A Pack A Day" ad in the middle of it passed Dane's strict editorial critique with flying colors? I guess thats all the science SFH needs? And the only opinions of ADF&G employees too? I wonder if Corri followed department protocol? Maybe somebody should investigate?

Dane Crowley's Email To Denby Lloyd July 14, 2009

Sent:
    Tuesday,July 14, 2009 6:13 PM

To:
    Lloyd, DenbyS (DFG)

Cc:
    Palin, SarahH (GOV); Parnell, SeanR (GOV); Valkenburg, Patrick(DFG); Rossi,Corey L (DFG); Huggins,Charlie(LAA); Menard,

Linda K (LAA); ralphs@seekins.com;'Colligan'; 'bill noll'; craig@compeaus.com; cparker@akvillage.com; 'Trent And ChrisWall';

admin@aksafariclub.org; president@aksafariclub.org; don@sfwsfh.org;' Scott Ogan'; 'Seppe Rossi';'Wayne Heimer';

kgordon@mosquitonet.com; "Rick Rydell' "

Subject:

SEANFARLEY---AUDUBONMAGAZINE--_INSUBORDINATION

To Commissioner Denby Lloyd,

I fear that the hard work of restoring Alaska wildlife populations is being undone from the inside of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. If you are not aware of the recently published article in Audubon magazine, you should be, The lies and political posturing are not noteworthy, as they are of the most common rhetoric, however the comments by a Mr. Sean Farley are what should capture your attention. Mr. Farley's comments would seem to be the opinion of the Department, which I know that they are not. I am sure that Mr. Farley is embolcfened to pull this stunt in hopes of being martyred for his "cause". Please grant him his wish. I, speaking for many, would like to have some clarification from the Department as to the stance to be taken with middle managers like Gino DelFrate who has watched EVERY MOOSE, SHEEP and CARIBOU POPULATION he has supervised crumble. Please review the less than stellar track record of Mr. DelFrate in all of his positions from the Kenai to his current location, an abysmal failure by any standard. I would also like to know how ADF&G proposes to deal with these managers who shield and allow the likes of Jessie Coltrane and Sean Farley circumvent the internal ADF&G rules of speaking to the press and making statements on behalf of ADF&G and disregard the BOG process/policy to meet their own personal agenda. It is also worth mentioned the complete lack of professionalism exhibited by Rick Sinnott on a regular and continual basis. His comments to the press regularly portray hunters and trappers negatively. Who supervises these people? Why is this allowed to continue? ..!I am working from the opinion that the wildlife of Alaska belongs to Alaskans and that the Department of Fish and Game is a management driven organization not a research driven organization. I applaud science and research however research for research sake belongs at the University and research that supports management can belong to ADF&G. Mr. Lloyd, I work very hard in my free time through volunteer work to ensure that maybe, just maybe, we might have a glimmer of hope in our wildlife populations for my child and possible grandchildren. On behalf of Sportsmen for Habitat, I take offense to the article published by Audubon for all of the reasons listed above, As an Alaskan I am offended that we allow these renegade State employees to take years of hard by volunteers working to save a dying moose population and paint us as draconian. If not for the lack-luster work of Gino Delfrate and those he supervises, we might have not had to go to the lengths currently being bashed in this international publicatieet- Biologists from the Palmer office have long voiced concern over predators in GMU 16 and middle management did nothing to support them. Now that the population has crashed and consumptive users have taken a hard stand to save the moose and see their numbers return, the staff at region II has done everything possible to prevent any and all tools needed to restore moose numbers. Sportsmen for Habitat has raised and spent $110,000 in the past two years in GMU 16 and I believe we have made a difference. Last count on moose calves shows a marked increase in calf survivability (from 7 calves per 100 to 20 calves per hundred in one year). We think that the partnership we have developed with some of the fine and hard working people in the Palmer office is the model of public-private partnership we should be working for in Alaska. If Mr. Farley and Mr. DelFrate find that management is offensive to them then I suggest they transfer to the National Park Service or some other non-managing agency more in line with their thinking.

I have forwarded this email far and wide to pull back the cover on what appears to be a huge problem. I think that the legislature, the Governor's Office and all of the outdoor groups need to get this issue resolved and an official ADF&G comment to Audubon to set the record straight. I think it high time to remind these folks in region II who it is giving the marching orders. Mr. Farley is an embarrassment to Alaska, to the Department and to science; his supervisor may be worse. I would sincerely appreciate an update as to the final solution to this unfortunate situation and thank you for the effort in dealing with these problems.

Sincerely,

Dane Crowley

Sportsmen for Habitat
    Wade Willis

Exclamation Kicked a sleeping Dog?

This leaves little doubt that SFW and H founder Don Peay is alive and well and living in AK.

Repeating his tactics of infiltrating the departments charged with the responsibility of managing public resources in order to achieve (change the culture) his version of what "hunting" should be like has officially arrived in AK.

This is classic Peay tactics.

Obviously, SFW has gotten in deep enough now that there is no fear among them and they are letting us know at least who some of the players are (evidenced by the email CC's).

Just as obvious is the fact that at least some in the department are not rolling over and playing ball with the Utah FARM TEAM.

On the other hand, LLoyd's apparent lack of any reasonable public response to such an outrageous letter with a wide distribution leaves no doubt to those in the cc list that he (Loyd) has fallen under the Peay Spell.

Govenron Parnell needs to bring Loyd back to the reality of who really works for and have him (Loyd) give a proper response to Dickweeds letter....unless of course Parnell has been caught in the SFWEB.

Anyway, they (SFW-H, APHA, AOC) must be thinking Joe Alaskan is asleep at the wheel.

If I was a manager in a position to respond to this, I would pretty much discard it in total. The first sentence rambles and makes little sense. The accusation would have to be backed up with facts, figures and research that would have to be provided outside an email. I wonder where he got the figures on the increase in calf survivability?
    Guy is a nutcase.

Default I agree

I also wonder how Palins appointee, Pat Valkenburg, figured out that in just a few years in GMU 16, during which time the most liberal black bear hunting regulations (unlimited harvest of any black bear, including sows and cubs), that the black bear population actually grew from 1800 to 2900? Must have developed/adopted a Rossi algorhythm? Or maybe it was just "ancedotal" information supplied by Dane Crowley himself?

Regardless, seems this predator control is really not working to good?
    Wade Willis

Arrow bad link

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

boy the bad feelings of the SFH and SFW are growing deeper every day.

riptide... would you mind emaling me the link that you found that on ?????

it is in my siggy line... thanks

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Apra

Vince,

I obtained that email via an open records act request to the ADF&G.
    Wade Willis

Default Legislators to watch....

Check out the CC's and you will see what legislators are clearly taking up the SFW cross.

Thanks Riptide...very enlightening stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    boy the bad feelings of the SFH and SFW are growing deeper every day.

riptide... would you mind emaling me the link that you found that on ?????

it is in my siggy line... thanks

Vince

Default That cc list really does say a lot

Bummer to have SFW/SFH going after individual bios like this.

We hashed out the Audubon article in another thread <grin>.

Same old - same old...
    One "side" wants to kill them all - other thinks they are "cute and cuddly" - both sides quick to use whatever "science" they believe supports their position - Department and resource being torn apart as each side "proudly" proclaims they have the best interest of the the resource as their main objective.
    Joe (Ak)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default In this corner weighing in at a .........

this should turn into the best of pay per view boxing has ever seen folks...

state employees with the wind some one is after their jobs, combined with the typical Alaskan mentality of dislike of lower 48 values,,, on top of the fact you just can't tell us what to do....

should make it all very entertaining. ...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i know Gino personally, and if it were not for his prudent management of goats on the kenai when he was here then our current bio wouldn't have had much to manage when he took the position.
    as for moose, i would have to say that here in 15c we have a pretty healthy herd, most of the hunters i know that applied themselves took moose, or at least passed on small legal bulls. although we have had some fairly mild winters the last couple years (thus the young bulls) the cow hunt gino initiated has gone well, and when we do have another harsh winter we should have enough habitat to bring our herd through without overwhelming mortality, as we saw in the harsh winters of the mid nineties.
    brown bears are doing well , and we are slowly increasing the drawing tags and areas, this done with the support of the AC's and our area bio's.
    i really think SFH (SFW) is out of line in attacking our DF&G, if peay doesn't like it he can go back to utah ... (or did he wear out his welcome?)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

It would be worth doing a public records request to see if he replied to these e-mails, and if so, who he replied to and what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Same old - same old...
    One "side" wants to kill them all - other thinks they are "cute and cuddly" - both sides quick to use whatever "science" they believe supports their position
    What seems to be "same old - same old" to me is yet another oversimplification of the issues at hand. I love how when a biologist sees need for conservation that they are painted as thinking animals are "cute and cuddly" and somehow an adversary of consumptive users.

Prudent management is not the same thing as thinking animals are cute and cuddly...but it's much easier to mock those you disagree with if you paint them with ridiculous brushstrokes.

Thumbs up Yes

Post'm here, Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It would be worth doing a public records request to see if he replied to these e-mails, and if so, who he replied to and what he said.

Default Denby Lloyds Reply

I already have Denby's reply.

I can post it on the forum. It's a sad thing though. I think I should do it in another thread so we can discuss the effects political appointees are having on the ADF&G. Individuals that are picked to exclusively promote short term political agendas and I would contend, as do all the state and national profesional wildlife management societies, that they often comprimise the ADF&G's scientific integrity and the long term protection of our states intact ecosystems. The political agendas now focus on pleasing well funded special interest groups for the sole purpose of keeping a governor in office, not the good of the public as a whole, and certainly not the good of the ADF&G in the long run. Moral in the department is at an all time low I hear and good folks are leaving for other jobs.

With Palin, Don Peay had a field day. He whispered in her ear to expand the list of top level commisioners appointed by the executive branch from 1 to 3. NO checks and balances, no democracy, total dictatorship. A sad day for the resident in my opinion and the end of open, diverse opinion and discussion within the ADF&G.
    Wade Willis

Default I posted his reply on this thread.

Wade Willis

Default duh

No surprises here. SFW and SFH are following a script. Pretty predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    What seems to be "same old - same old" to me is yet another oversimplification of the issues at hand. I love how when a biologist sees need for conservation that they are painted as thinking animals are "cute and cuddly" and somehow an adversary of consumptive users.

Prudent management is not the same thing as thinking animals are cute and cuddly...but it's much easier to mock those you disagree with if you paint them with ridiculous brushstrokes.
    Just a thought - but - it might be worth the effort to take a look at the interaction of "science" and public opinion an applied wildlife management policies since about the early 40's.
    You can be assured my post had nothing to do with "mock[ing]" those that might disagree with me.
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    You can be assured my post had nothing to do with "mock[ing]" those that might disagree with me.
    Joe (Ak)
    Sorry about that, Joe. I realized a while after posting it that I may have read something into your post that you did not intend. Mea culpa.

-Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast